The Official Piece Cleaning Guide

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Floydian, May 27, 2008.

1. Thanks this was useful.

2. Since purchasing my newest piece, I've become religious about cleaning it daily (Dropping $500 on glass tends to make you do this). If anything, I've discovered I use alot less ISO over time and god damn it's nice taking hits off of what appears to be a brand new piece everyday. You would also be surprised how quickly you can do it when a simple quick rinse makes it nice and shiny. To clean the bowl piece, ash catcher and bubbler I honest use only about 4-5 tablespoons of ISO daily and every few days I add salt to the mix (for that good scrub).

I also look at it this way. When you pour yourself a drink during the day, you might reuse the same glass to have a second or third drink. Hell, you may use the same glass the whole day without cleaning it, nothing wrong with that. Now, would you walk into your living room, pick up a glass that you used three days ago and pour yourself a drink into it without rinsing it?

3. my highdea, is to clean it with drain-o!!!!!!!!!! could this workd if you rinse out the draino after??

4. how could i clean my spoon (alternatives to iso and salt)

5. simple green soak overnight and rinse well with hot water

or buy a cleaner made to clean glass pipes

ive been told peroxide works well if you soak overnight and rinse but ive never tried it

6. Only thing I hate about cleaning my piece is that after I'm done cleaning it I want to use it again :)

7. I've been using a solution that is poisonous as fuck for years. It's no big deal if you rinse well. Ignorant people...

8. I'm having a problem where the salt has "settled" on the bottom (it seems). Can't get anything in there to clean it like a bottle brush because of the ice catchers, but is there a way to get this out, or is my bong fucked because of salt abrasion?

Great thread. If this has been addressed I apologize, I couldn't sit through 55+ pages of this thread.

9. try soaking in clr

10. I always have a little bit of white-ish spots on my glass after using salt + iso. How do I get those off? Thanks in advance.

11. If it's on the bottom, it's probably hard water. You can use vinegar pretty much the same way you'd use iso, just rinse it well to get rid of the smell.

12. clr should work best

13. broke my down stem :( how do i measure it for a new one ?

14. sometimes when I clean it, it wont be completely clear, itll have some light resiny areas that are liek clearish brown in hard to reach spots. I dont stick anything in it to clean it cause its kind of impossible to do that. I just let it soak. Should i just let it soak longer?

15. what are you soaking in?

16. Not a fan of clr anymore. either they have changed the product or it simply just doesn't work as well as I remember it doing. The best stuff I've used is formula 420

17. Fubar - Warm water and Iprosyol Alcohol. sometimes pour a little salt in to help.

18. #918 Fubar_Buddha, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
    try using only iso and salt no water let it soak for 15-30 mins and give it a good shake try to keep the salt in the area with most of the gunk while shaking

ive only ever used the 420 soaking formula but it did not do anything for hard water stains for me

19. Made my own thread but thought i'd post it here as well

Hey everyone, first time poster. I have a nice little bubbler (Sherlock) that I use regularly. When I was cleaning it with the salt/alcohol method, I found that I had trouble getting the resin out of the inside of the stem. So, like the genius I am, I tried soaking a cuetip with alcohol and cleaning out the stem. Problem is, the cuetip was too large and the cotton came off and now it's inside my bubbler. The bubbler still works but I am kind of OCD and don't like having a bunch of cotton in an otherwise pristine piece.

Note: I tried filling it up w/ hot water and letting it soak in the hopes that it would disolve the cotton but that hasn't worked.

My question is this: How can I go about this cotton out of the bubbler? Is there somekind of liquid that will dissolve this cotton and won't harm the glass?

20. #920 KouchLoch, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
    You could burn it out...

That's been suggested a while ago too.

Found the other thread... http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/967524-q-tip-stuck-inside-my-bowl-help.html