Hockey The Official Nhl Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by ACole420, Oct 5, 2009.

1. I think the hawks dynasty might be over.. or at least taking a little break like after 2010. Next season might be even worse than the last one. They're just loading up on youth and draft picks, they aren't gonna go all in to try and win next year. I feel like kane or toews might be traded within a few years, the hawks have shown they are totally cold blooded and nobody is untouchable, and their salaries are really starting to hold us back now

2. Kane wont be traded if they're smart but yea toews is massively overpaid. And the hawks better load up on youth and draft picks because as of now their prospect pool is awful

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I think 1st power play unit is more likely than top center at this point. Eichel showed the ability to quarterback the power play in the second half of the season and looked great there. Ryan O'Reilly looked so good at both ends of the ice that I'd bet on him getting top line center and plenty of ice time. I still think there's more than enough talented forwards in Buffalo to make for 2 pretty legit lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Actually now that i think about 2nd line center is fine, he shouldnt face the other teams top defensive pairing most of the time

5. There's going to be a solid pair of wings on that line too. Figure Kane/Rinehart/Ennis/Okposo/possibly Vesey all interchangeable as wingers on a line w/Eichel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Well, Kane, yeah he's the reigning mvp and scoring champ so you just have to pay him what he wants. Toews isn't overpaid, imo, but if he keeps on the same pace as last season, then he will be. He just had a down year for scoring last season because he had literally no decent linemates the entire season. But he contributes so much else besides scoring, he's the only player who could ever dig a puck out of the boards last year and he's such a leader and all that. Coach Q never once moved him off the top line, which tells me that Coach Q doesn't think Toews was underperforming. Hopefully he bounces back next season, but if he doesn't then honestly I think they should consider trading him. None of these players really seem that excited or hungry to play for the Blackhawks anymore, except maybe Kane and Panarin. Everyone else just looked disinterested.

Why do you say the prospect pool is bad? We've had some good prospects come through here and there.. Trevor van riemsdyk probably being the best of them so far unless you can count Panarin. Stan bowman knows what he's doing, and I never say this but I really have faith in him. Of all the teams i've ever followed, this is the only one where it seems like they always make the right moves at the right times, Panarin being a great example. Which is why I think people should prepare for the possibility of Kane and/or Toews being gone soon. Everyone keeps telling me i'm crazy and they'll never let Toews go, but the bottom line is this is a business and they've never been sentimental about letting any of our other players go, like Sharp, or Saad. If it benefits the team overall, they'll do it.

7. Because they've traded most of their early picks and up and coming guys to stick with their "win now" mode, which to be fair has obviously worked well for them so far. But watch a guy like teravainen tear it up in carolina next year

At least you guys got cups out of it unlike the rangers who i bet wish so bad they still had duclair

8. Isles look primed to take a step back this season.

Really disappointed with our FA moves or lack thereof.

9. Derrick Brassard to Ottawa for Mike Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick.

Isles posturing about #91 today.

10. That's true, but they've also loaded up on draft picks and up and coming guys when necessary, especially now. They don't necessarily always have a win now mentality, you can see by them winning every other year that it takes some time to recharge the roster. after the 2010 win it took 3 seasons to get back to winning. I think we might be looking at another similar drought before some young guys start coming through and they have enough cap space to get some more scorers in

11. A salute to Brad Richards, who retired today.

That '03 Lightning championship team all retired now except for Dan Boyle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him, he won a cup with us and was a pretty big contributor in that success, and he just seemed like such a nice guy and a class player

13. Isles waived PA Parenteau after giving him a one-year deal to come back to where he had his best on-ice success.

Devils claimed him off waivers.

Not sure what Garth is doing, but what else is new?

HOCKEY SEASON IS COMING YOU GUYS

• Like Like x 1
  14. Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me..... and Im feeeeeeelin goooooooooooooooooooooood

Break out your sweaters

• Like Like x 2
  15. Auston Matthews... are you fucking serious?

• Like Like x 3
  16. his team still lost the game, but good shit for him I guess

3 v 3 OT sucks

• Like Like x 2
  17. Only four goals...

18. Matthews looks like the real deal.

Isles-Rags opening night at MSG. Should be a good one. Let's go boys

19. Glad hockey is back. Football is so slow.

S'co Rangers

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  20. Isles really playing subpar. About what I expected so far -- Nielsen is playing well in DET, Okposo is playing well in BUF, and Ladd is underperforming for us.

Not sure what the fuck Capuano is doing with the three-headed goalie setup either. Heard now though that because his agent was talking shit about it (I think it's a fair critique but not a good look for an agent) that the Isles have put Halak on the trading block. I like Halak but I'm okay with the trade; Greiss was really good for us last season after Halak went down, and I figured we'd keep Greiss and Berube over Halak for next season anyway (Greiss is a FA after this season).