The Official Guide on How To Get Free Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by TRevv71, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Alright guys, lately I've had a number of people coming up to me at my high school and asking me how to get free music. Everyone is just tired of using Limewire (hey, I don't blame 'em! :eek:) and they are trying to find new ways to grab their favorite tunes. I've always sorta been the go-to guy when it comes to music, and I have some tricks up my sleeve when it comes to pirating too...Now that said, I also BUY the vast majority of the music I own too, so anybody who is reading this who happens to take offense to this thread trust me, I buy a good 2/3 of the stuff I listen to. NOW, please read this whole guide, it will help you out!

Now the first strategy - Torrents

Torrents are great for getting albums and sometimes even artist's entire discographies. You can also grab programs, movies, games, documents, and much more using torrents. First, I recommend grabbing utorrent from their site. (utorrent.com) Then check out mininova, thepiratebay.org, torrentz.com, demonoid.com (if you can get invited!) and many others. The best way to find torrent sites is to simply google search "torrent." I'm not going to get into explaining seeding, leeching, etc. Torrenting files is something I used to do frequently a while ago, but you do get that rare sketchy file that has a Trojan or shitty virus in it and it fucks up your computer. So keep in mind not everything is legit, make sure you read the comments (if there are any) under the file description. I know piratebay has comments and all but there are many files people haven't commented on so be careful! That leads me to my next way of grabbing music.

Strategie' Numero Dos - Mediafire, Megaupload, Rapidshare... :D

Those three sites (Mediafire, Megaupload, Rapidshare) are called file hosting websites and there all great places to grab free music. Mediafire is my personal favorite because it's free, its the fastest, and you can download as much as you want from there. Can't go wrong with Mediafire. Megaupload is second, only because it's not free and you can only download around 4 or 5 files a day without a Gold/Premium membership. Rapidshare is my least favorite, but it hosts the most music. It's download speeds are relatively slow when compared to Mediafire and Megaupload. Basically, since you can't search for the music you want on the hosting websites, what you do is you go to google and type in the artist you want to find and then a space followed by site:mediafire.com or site:megaupload.com F.e. Vibesquad site:mediafire.com, Animal Collective site:rapidshare.com, Boris site:megaupload.com, Cyne site:mediafire.com (you get the point :)) And if you want a more accurate result, check out the site search.jrfreelancer.com On that site there's a list you can scroll down that has a bunch of file-hosting websites, and chances are most of them will have what you're looking for :).

Sadsteve.com

This site is so handy! What it does is it allows you to download all of the songs that are hosted on the playable search website Seeqpod.com, so everything on Seeqpod you can download! It's awesome! Check it out.

And for those of you who really want to get hooked up phat, this is my FAVORITE way of snatchin' tunes.

Alright I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who's done this, but I STRONGLY URGE everyone try this out. There's these two programs called iMesh and Bearshare. There virtually the same thing because Bearshare owns iMesh and both programs are the same.....their like the iTunes store but everything's free! Yeah! FREEEEEE! Except for a couple catches. Everything you download on iMesh/the new Bearshare (not the old one) is DRM-protected, and that means you can't put it in your iTunes or you're iPod. You also get a free month subscription to both of these, so I suggest that you get a one month of iMesh first and when that's expired do the same with Bearshare. Now, here's where my genius idea comes in! Get this program, Daniusoft Media Converter. It converts any file and removes it's DRM to make it DRM-FREE! What does that mean!? You can put it on your ipod! I must have grabbed so many songs using this I highly recommend it! :D

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4381697/Daniusoft_Media_Converter_Pro_v2.2.3.0_[RH]

Well, I hoped that helped you guys..... Any questions just PM me or comment on the thread! :smoking:

2. Also, there's a couple mediafire blogspots that everyone should visit. ikilledthedarkness.blogspot.com and paulbono.com. Both are really great and are defiantly worth checkin' out! :smoking:

3. i'm big into torrents (you can find just about anything you're looking for by a google search of the name + .torrent), but i didn't know about those blogs; good call.

IME, the best place for free, legal, awesome music is your local library. its pretty much single-handedly got me into jazz, classical and several different persuasions of world music.

4. I don't care for torrents.

Soulseek is the way to go for music, in my opinion.

5. I used to love Soulseek but then my computer wouldn't let me download anything on the program....I could never figure out what the issue was. :(

6. I use the mediafire/rapidshare Google Search method and Soulseek.

7. limewire pro, of 2 years of using it, has yet to fail me. Torrents are also very awesome. I got me the entire set of Planet Earth in HD.. took 6 days of downloading though.

8. soulseek all the way