The odds of life

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Balance, Jan 28, 2011.

1. #21 aero18, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    Each sperm cell has a different set of chromosomes than every other sperm cell. Your chromosomes predetermine how you think, how you act, and every other physiological aspect of your body. You would not exist if another sperm cell was able to fertilize your mother's egg cell before you did.

That's just it.

2. Each sperm from a male is different in DNA make up. Sperm cells are not the same as the next one in line. So yes of a different sperm would have entered the egg than you wouldnt be here today.

3. damn there are so many possibilities. Your existence depends on a few seconds of chance! holy shit..we are all quite lucky I suppose!

4. hmm i would have to say that sperm carrying only 50% of the 100% needed amount of dna to create a human being and being from the same carrier and the fact that you would still have the same parents thus growing up in the same environment, meeting the same people you would for the most part be the same person you are now but you might look slighty different ie bigger nose, different color eyes etc. make sense?

5. after read all this i feel lucky and i am going to buy some lottery tickets LOL

6. #26 Dnash13, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
    good thinking,

however it doesnt quite work like that... as a poster above explained, as well as me numerous times...

THERE IS ONLY ONE COMBINATION OF GENETIC MATERIAL THAT EQUATES TO YOU. END OF STORY.

even if a different sperm came together with the same egg, this person may or may not be very SIMILAR to you but will not be the same person

all your traits and characteristics are based on this genetic material... even how you deal with situations is mostly based on how you are "programmed" through your genetics

so.... AGAIN.... the answer to the question is no.. there is only one you

i agree, after thinking about the question in this thread from the perspective of a biology major, go buy a lottery ticket everyone because each and every one of us is truly a marvel of the universe!