The New Slave Labor In America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by halcyone, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I was made aware of what is going on in prisons around the country when I was looking at joining a group similar to a Chamber of Commerce on a national scale. Upon further examination, I decided not to join this association out of moral premise. I feel that there are a lot of people who need support in their small businesses and I can look elsewhere for them. This link takes you to a list of prisons that offer inmate production at very low cost. This disgusts me.
    Center for Community Corrections: COFFE
    I think it is high time we stop looking at the problems abroad and start hanging the people who are committing atrocities here at home.

Thoughts?

2. The US justice system is severely broken at all levels; however, I am of the belief that prisoners do not deserve food, housing, clothes, etc. on the backs of taxpayers in exchange for nothing.

Why should a taxpayer whose family member was killed by a murderer have to pay into a system that supports the well-being of that murderer just because they (the taxpayer) chooses to work for an honest (read: legal) living in the US?

3. I agree with your sentiment that the taxpayer should not have to bear the costs of housing dangerous criminals who have committed atrocities such as murder, rape, or other crimes where there are victims. I agree with your sentiment that our justice system is broken. But I do not agree with the prison for profit system. There are people struggling to make it on their own, who are not bad business owners, who put out decent products, who are trying their damnedest to keep the lights on and food on the table. It could be pretty easy to say, "fuck 'em, I'm for me and screw everyone else". I cannot do that. The whole thing stinks, and I don't want to put good people out of business. Just my opinion.

4. What about it?

5. You can't remove profits from voluntary exchange without introducing force. Profits are not the problem here. The problem is the initiation of force from which stems the state-sponsoring of the prison industry and the state's monopoly over the entire justice system.

Not sure what you're talking about here. :| I must be missing some context.

Let me be clear that I am unequivocally opposed to the US's (current) justice system.

6. Chambers Of Commerce are strictly lobbying fronts for banks and other big businesses that make their money off the sweat of little guys...

7. Also keep in mind who gets targeted by police. I'm sure the minority makes up the majority in prisons. I wouldn't doubt its slavery.

8. instead of paying taxes for jail keep, we could contribute a lil bit/enough for a heroin od.. that could be a choice vs labor

9. [quote name='"LSYouTiger"']Also keep in mind who gets targeted by police. I'm sure the minority makes up the majority in prisons. I wouldn't doubt its slavery.[/quote]

America never got rid of slavery, they only changed the name.

10. I, too, am opposed to the current justice system we have. We incarcerate people who are not harming others, who do not deface private or public properties, people who do not cost taxpayers or individuals in doing the acts they commit. I think we are in agreement as to this. My disgust moreover is aimed towards those who approve and use the labor these prisons produce rather than finding private companies who work hard to provide jobs and support and invest in their communities. To me, it looks a lot like slave labor. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have not found evidence to conclude otherwise yet.

11. I didn't read the article, but I have a different side to this story. A close relative of mine is a state CO and the prisoners work is completely justifiable. In my state at least the only jobs they can do are cleaning/teaching at the prison or community service like collecting trash. They get paid like 12c an hour to do this stuff. This is not slavery, it's a blessing to criminals. They get to live off our taxes AND get paid....yeah....slavery.

12. It is slave labor in many cases considering the state of the US justice system, though I'm a little more concerned with the rape culture in prison and the imprisonment of non-violent offenders. I would rather discuss the root(s) of the issue(s) rather than look at the symptoms.

I'm not really opposed to putting a murderer to work to pay back the family that he destroyed (if the family wants monetary compensation for their loss), but that isn't what's happening. If the justice system actually imprisoned violent offenders, I wouldn't be opposed to putting the able-bodied aggressors to work to pay for their food, housing, compensation for their victim(s), etc.

13. These prisoners that are working cheap are stealing jobs from citizens. I can't believe it's even legal for companies to contract their work to prisoners for less then minimum wage. I wonder what kind of bribes the prison owners get.

14. The owners aren't bribed, they are the ones who are making the labor possible.

15. It is such a blessing to work 10+ hour days for less then $2 a day. I would agree our current system is broken and I have no problem with prisoners being able to earn money while in prison(help them get on there feet when they get out) I am not ok with the forced labor. When I was in jail so many years ago I was forced to do Cal Trans up in Humboldt County. They would make us cut down fields of poison oak. If you refused to work then they would take away your good time adding 20% to your stay. They would also do things like throw you in solitary confinement if you wouldn't work. Worst 3 months of my life.

They need to take the profit out of keeping ppl in prison and nationalize the prisons.

16. Paying For them strictly with taxes also steals jobs from citizens.

Ideally, I think prison should be a sustenance only
    situation. Have them grow and care for the food they eat. after having them produce as much of what they consume as possible, other work which provides cheap labor to the community could be used to fill in the gaps.

17. I don't like prisons. I do like banishment.

18. [quote name='"Mirvs"']I don't like prisons. I do like banishment.[/quote]

We should banish felons to Canada. I feel like it is the equivalent of siberia here in North America.