the Net Neutrality thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jman42028, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Another lap around the bush then. Fundamental differences.

"The core principal of freedom is the only notion to obey" - Dimmu Borgir

2. Municipal broadband - Wikipedia

3. Shall we do it again today? My workload is pretty light.

4. yes plenty of areas, at least around me, offer broadband access as a municipality. Including a small town by me. They put antennas on the water towers.

5. Just got a letter in the mail, up to 100mbps internet and tv for $50 month

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Fucker

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. promotion.

8. It is normally $55, i guess every dollar counts

9. edit. Wrong thread

10. My dearests, if generational gaps come between us forgive me, but how come you are not considering the basic natural flow of process?, especially Human processes: If Monopolies arise and expand is because they can pay for installations and higher cost of infrastructures, of course you are right! It is also us! The ones who pay for it, we could choose, but If they buy everything they are stealing your right to choose, are they really?... screw them! You still can choose not to use any dammed device! We were born without them you know?! ..well maybe probably not you.. perhaps you are too young and you were born with an ipad on your side; but If we could see it from a different perspective and compare your freedom of choice on this matter with the freedom to choose anything else in life, you could see how free you are to choose, and you don’t depend on anything you don’t want to..
    It all comes down to what you really want to.. and my dear, perhaps you need to smoke more weed and mediate more ‘cause Man! You deserve the feeling of independence from unwanted rules,

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. not sure why you think I was "born with an ipad at my side"....I assure you I was not, and am well into my 30's. Am I 60? no, but I've never claimed to be. Age doesn't matter anyways.
    You could of course choose not to have internet. I never advocated otherwise? I was pretty torn on this whole thing, but leaned to just axing the whole thing the more I learned about the subject.
    I'm generally a libertarian, and 85-90% of the time I feel less government is the answer. But, there are major issues in the industry, there is no doubt.
    The industry right now is broken up into "local monopolies". Comcast has this county, or area, and charter has an another. There are only a few players, and I still think the government can have a solution similar to what they did with the cell industry, to lower our costs, and foster more competition.
    But the big question...is who owns the pipeline??
    Thats where it gets muddy right?
    "we the people" own the airwaves. The cell companies essentially lease spectrum from the government which at one point was "by the people ,for the people". The government was able to have a solution that said even though verizon owns x amount of towers, they have to offer access at affordable rates to other competition.
    And now you have several new prepaid companies that have popped up doing what? Offering unlimited internet, unlimited calling/text, and then what happens? The big guys are forced to follow suit.

But, what I realized, as I went into the rabbit hole, is that this "net neutrality" bill was not that at all. And that of course, the world wouldn't implode and lose all access if this bill were scrapped.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Net Neutrality repeal starts today.

By Keith Collins

• June 11, 2018
    It’s official. The Federal Communications Commission’s repeal of net neutrality rules, which had required internet service providers to offer equal access to all web content, took effect on Monday.

The rules, enacted by the administration of President Barack Obama in 2015, prohibited internet providers from charging more for certain content or from giving preferential treatment to certain websites.

After the commission voted to repeal the rules in December, it faced a public outcry, legal challenges from state attorneys general and public interest groups, and a push by Democratic lawmakers to overturn the decision. The opponents argued that the repeal would open the door for service providers to censor content online or charge additional fees for better service — something that could hurt small companies — and several states have taken steps to impose the rules on a local level.

Still, the repeal was a big win for Ajit Pai, the F.C.C.’s chairman, who has long opposed the regulations, saying they impeded innovation. He once said they were based on “hypothetical harms and hysterical prophecies of doom.”

In an op-ed column published on CNET Monday, Mr. Pai argued that the repeal was good for consumers because it restored the Federal Trade Commission’s authority over internet service providers.

“In 2015, the F.C.C. stripped the F.T.C. — the nation’s premier consumer protection agency — of its authority over internet service providers. This was a loss for consumers and a mistake we have reversed,” Mr. Pai wrote.

These are the rules that were repealed

The original rules laid out a regulatory plan that addressed a rapidly changing internet. Under those regulations, broadband service was considered a utility under Title II of the Communications Act, giving the F.C.C. broad power over internet providers. The rules prohibited these practices:

BLOCKING Internet service providers could not discriminate against any lawful content by blocking websites or apps.

THROTTLING Service providers could not slow the transmission of data because of the nature of the content, as long as it was legal.

PAID PRIORITIZATION Service providers could not create an internet fast lane for companies and consumers who paid premiums, and a slow lane for those who didn’t.

More: The Net Neutrality Repeal Is Official. Here’s How That Could Affect You.

13. What you fans of these regulations miss about them are these terms. "Legal Content".

"Lawful Content." The definitions of these terms is not specified. That means it's going to be up to enforcers to make that determination of what is legal and lawful content. It's a slippery slope. They can call your website unlawful and block it under net neutrality.

What "Net Neutrality" does is actually give them the power to throttle and block things they deem unlawful or illegal.

The entire business works on preferential treatment of things that need priority. We really don't need the government telling ISP's how to run the technical side of the business. It's not a rights issue.

The right to block content is called net neutrality. It's so 1984. "Give us the freedom to be blocked!"

The law says they can't block lawful content. So anything they deem unlawful can be blocked. Right now without "net neutrality" they can't do that.

14. The repeal of net neutrality allows ISPs to block and throttle content. The reasons for net neutrality in the first place, is because telcoms fucked over independent ISPs back in the 90's when they were investing in and building out broadband infrastructure leaving them back in the dial up age. They (the giant telcoms) could survive and now we are left with only a few choices, if you're lucky, or only one choice for internet service.

15. You're buying into the messaging. It's a covert way to eventually get a government agency to cut off any page on the web they don't like. Net neutrality has little to do with the building of the broadband network. It was inevitable that smaller IPS's couldn't afford to put in the infrastructure. Nothing do to with net neutrality. It's big business. It always works that way.

Read it again. Right now they can't call a website Unlawful and block it. Net neutrality gives them the right to block. It doesn't limit it the way they paint it out to. We're being duped.

16. You read it again. Net Neutrality does not give the right to block content. With the repeal, ISP's can block, throttle or prioritize content.

17. These are the rules that were repealed when net neutrality was repealed:

BLOCKING Internet service providers could not discriminate against any lawful content by blocking websites or apps.

THROTTLING Service providers could not slow the transmission of data because of the nature of the content, as long as it was legal.

You can see that all an ISP has to do is say that a site is unlawful or illegal content and then it can be blocked.

Without those rules they cannot say that a website is "unlawful" and block it when there is no distinct definition of "unlawful".

How is it that you say that net neutrality says it "does not give ISP's the right to block content"? It clearly gives them the right to both block and throttle content if they deem it to be unlawful. It's pretty easy to understand once you get past the double speak.