the Net Neutrality thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jman42028, Nov 28, 2017.

1. And where did he work before being the FCC chairman?

2. I'm not sure. I'd have to wiki it.

3. Could you wiki for me?

4. Holy shit in a skillet! Lack of competition only exists because of government intervention! This is really basic stuff here.

"The core principal of freedom is the only notion to obey" - Dimmu Borgir

• Like Like x 1
  5. A government intervention by corporations.

We have to separate corporations from our government like we do the church.

6. he's a comcast lobbyist
    tom wheeler

• As the head of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association from 1992 to 2004, he oversaw a number of efforts to keep the wireless industry from being hampered with too many annoying FCC regulations.

• He also spent a number of years heading new technology start-ups, including the first company that offered high speed data delivery for home computers.

• He's been described as a "sharp shooter" who will stick to his guns,for better or for worse. "I think that he stepped on the toes of just about every sector of industry on one thing or another," Andy Schwartzman, a public-interest advocate and law professor at Georgetown University, told the Wall Street Journal. "His greatest asset is that he is comfortable in his own skin, and is not looking for his next job."

• Before getting appointed as chairman, he spent nearly a decade working as a managing director at Core Capital Partners, a venture-capital firm that invests in small technology companies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wheeler understands that the big boys biggest threat is competition.

8. Perhaps.

Or he realizes, like I do, there is no space for competition in this market due to the unique aspects of implementing the infrastructure to provide high speed services. Hence my support for a public utility.

9. WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THE INFRASTRUCTURE WONT CHANGE? How do you know what we will be using in 10 years?

10. Data through cable is an obvious competition killer. There are real estate and infrastructure constraints.

As far as data through the airwaves. There are only so many frequencies available for high speed data transmission. Again a limitation for competition.

Data transmission services just don't foster the kind of market competition that is required for a healthy consumer friendly atmosphere. It's that simple.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. just wanted to say that again, your internet appears to be working just fine, even though net neutrality was repealed. Strange I know. I even offered proof of a performance bump for comcast customers since then. I know the sky may look like its falling from the basement, but if you stick your head outside some times you will see it in fact is not falling, and the internet is not imploding nor eating itself.

12. Power breeds corruption inevitably. I cite all of human history as my source. There is no way to make government serve the people. It's a nice fairytail but it can't happen. Power (government) WILL breed corruption without exeption. Money will always be a part of that. You can not get money out of politics and to believe you can is just crazy. The corporations you hate so much can not exist without the government and the huge government that I hate can not exist without those corporations.
    We need to kill this entire incestuous relationship in order to see a prosperous society. Cut of both heads of this beast and think outside of what we have been taught is the "right" way to think.

• Like Like x 2
  13. We debunked it, so gw posted it again.

There used to be 10, now there are 1. Blah blah blah. I betcha a blunt, that there is more than one ISP where gw lives.

• Like Like x 1
  14. This is what I keep coming back around to. Next you'll hear how he's paying for 40mbps, but only gets 17mbps. But yet it was 17mbps before NN so again...

What the fuck has changed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Right now it's 15. Just checked.

We'll have to see if the horrors of repealing NN Play out.

16. Gasp! You poor soul! It must take a whole .02337 seconds to load GC. The horror! This has nothing to do with the law. For some reason your service isn't giving you the speed you want. Government can't fix that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. If it isn't worth it, don't buy it, you vote with your dollar.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Few years ago I was on a 10 mb plan and I only got 3mpbs. Couldn't stream hd then.

If the city decided to run fiber and I get over 100mpbs, I'd be happy with that. More than happy. Pay for it like any other utility bill.

19. And that's fine for you but what about those of us who don't want the state involved in our internet in any way? Fuck us, too damn bad? The state gets to run yet another failing corporate monopoly? The state has constantly proven itself to be horribly inefficient.

20. I'm thinking more along the lines of a local public utility. You'd have more control as a citizen. You could stir up some shit at the city council meeting if any hanky panky goes on with your internet connection.