the Net Neutrality thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jman42028, Nov 28, 2017.

1. spoken like a true conservative lol.
    how would you spur innovation gw? And how would you protect your corporation if you had one? do you think verizon wants to compete against at&t or lock in there prices and position? and don't give me this shit about them wanting nn you are not that dense. Just look at the big oil and how they acted as though government interference was bad and openley joke about it now. Or the creation of the federal reserve, were the bankers for or against it publicly? so don't fall for it.

“Competition is a sin.” – John D. Rockefeller

——————–

“At the time (1883), Rockefeller and Rothschild were competing as the world’s foremost oil and banking barons. But the two competitors each finally realized that competition was not a good thing. The more oil wells they drilled, the more oil was produced, the more the price of oil per barrel fell. This led a disgruntled John D. Rockefeller to exclaim, “Competition is a sin!”

A solution, therefore, was soon brokered. It was decided that the world’s markets would geographically be carved up, with the two barons, Rockefeller and Rothschild, each having their separate, well-defined shares. Moreover, limits would be put on oil produced globally so as to keep the market price as high as possible. Under this arrangement, both Rothschild and Rockefeller would benefit.”

Those two have made a killing by uniting, at the expense of everyone else.

...and with the help of the government i might add

2. #322 Green Wizard, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks for enforcing my points.

page one. "it takes two to tango" - Green Wizard

opps I Just realized I misspoke in post 319. I meant getting rid of NN.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I know what you meant. its funny how we basically agree on problem but differ so much on solution. I truly never thought growing up id get so much resistance from advocating freedom. have a great day\night gw im getting baked then watching some stranger things lol peace

• Like Like x 2
  4. Examples of government sponsored innovations.

Why You Can Thank the Government for Your iPhone

Again not saying the private sector doesn't have its roles but it is not the sole creator of innovation.

5. the government holds monopoly rights on all things launched into orbit, so no i dont give them any credit. just because they spend trillions on war related items thats sole purpose is to destroy and we get some tech that the private sector innovated but was kept by law from advancing for national security reasons is lame. if not for government we would be in flying cars..... i fully believe that lololol

• Like Like x 1
  6. I don't think anyone is saying that . There were non-war related examples in there as well

7. "Net neutrality" would have increased government regulations on ISP's. In order to ensure compliance, ISPs would have to hire additional staff (or re-allocate staff resources) which of course means additional expenses. These costs would have been directly passed on to the consumers.

New technology would not get implemented as fast, because ISP's would have greater research and development barriers to overcome to ensure that new technology is also "Net neutrality" compliant.

• Like Like x 1
  8. no I fucking dont dude. You don't know a damn thing about me, but I can certainly tell you I don't lie. I'll even take the fucking time to post a picture to make you look like an idiot, yet again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. st1.jpg here you go buddy.
    If you look at the bottom, you will see MSI, which is the make of my LAPTOP computer, which I am running THRU WIFI currently.
    I also have a wireless A/C router, and guess what? my laptop is A/C as well. So that means, well...its pretty fucking fast.
    You, obviously need to step out of the basement a little more, turn off that stupid young turks shit you share on here on the time, and get a clue. Please. And stop acting like you know everything, because you obviously do not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Fuck man. That's fast. Where do you live? Is that cable or DSL?

11. #332 Green Wizard, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    So it's cable then. Too easy to hack cable though. I would never get it, even for the higher speeds.

edit: When I say easy, I mean easier for hackers. Apparently more desirable to hack a cable network too.

12. i get maybe 5 mbs ....maybe

13. geez that sucks, i am pulling almost 30 from my neighbor (with permission).

14. That would be true if the market had competition, but it doesn't. Repealing NN does nothing to increase competition. It does the opposite.

Sad truth is there's not going to be an increase in competition in either case. No startup is going to come into your home town and start pulling their own cable to offer their service to your home. No startup is going to lease broadcast frequencies from the FCC to provide you with their wireless service. Those frequencies are already divided up and leased out and you can't operate a network on the same frequency as your competitors, obviously. This is now a market that doesn't operate in any efficient or sensible manner under a free market system. It now operates the most efficiently and sensibly as a public utility.

15. Yeah xfinity is crazy fast. I pay 45 bucks a month and I regularly see 110mbps+.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Is that a promotional price?

17. Can you clarify what you mean by this?

18. No not really. Sorry. I know this is your area of expertise. It's just what I've heard from years ago and some anecdotal stuff around the web. Like you share your connection with other cable users in your neighborhood. But I'm sure nowadays with SSL, firewalls, and other encryption, eavesdropping on the cable is a thing of the past.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. It's a broad area, like most things in telecommunications. We see intrusion attempts all the time, mostly coming from China or somewhere in Africa. Most of the time, these people don't even know what they are trying to hack into. I don't get involved with the security end of the business much. We keep those guys locked away somewhere but I have interacted with them at times. True breaches are rare.