the Net Neutrality thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jman42028, Nov 28, 2017.

1. yeah nothing like watching two women and a guy with long hair give their opinions. I can see why you can never make a sound argument. Jimmy dore, YT, wiki. next we will get quotes from mrs. ellis; your 3rd grade teacher?

• Like Like x 1
  2. only government can grant monopoly privileges. Show me one instant that the free market led to this. Just one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. you're the one who wants a law for it, show me why the internet needs nn. show me a period of time where services were limited and for a above market price. show me one instance where lack of choice led to price gouging. show me a 12 month period where prices didn't fall or stabilize all the while speeds and access got better. i can show you many examples of government interference that absolutely destroys innovations and created huge monopolies that lead to higher prices and decline in quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OMG. Just give your 500 dollars to your corporate overloads already.

We've been through this over and over in this thread.

5. sorry for double quote but i just thought of this. Do you remember before net neutrality, and how prices continually fell and service always got better? In the year or two since nn did your service get better? Especially in comparison to your cell phone service? Your cell phone is progressing way faster because they have bosses (us) that demand better faster phones for less money. Of course land lines have harder logistics but there are thousands of people looking to improve and invent better ways to deliver data to our homes. If we lock the prices of the internet we discourage these people from investing in the ideas of our future. When computers where first invented it costs 10s of thousands of dollars to own, rich people buying them allowed developers to continue to perfect them until almost everyone owns one and thinks they are rights now. The same can be said for our phones, flat screens, cars, clothes, food, etc. Prices give developers direct feedback from us the consumers as to keep investing in or to give up on new tech. Without the free market price, resources are not directed into the right area of the economy in as far as producing. Bubbles or shortages are always created and a equilibrium does not exist.
    Take for example when a natural disaster hits and there are water, food and electricity shortages what happens? Prices sky rocket because of shortages ( green wizard would call this price gouging) and people are encouraged through the dollar to gather and ship resources from their own ares into this region to make a dollar. The higher the amount the more people will go out of there way for profit. As more and more do it supply grows and prices naturally fall, people are fed and power is restored. But what is important is that the free market allowed money to allocate where resources were to be going not a politician or even a group. Its individuals acting for self interest that makes the world better not one group taking from another for their view of what's fair or right.

6. I have one choice for internet service. One. Uno. In 98, I had 10 and paid 19.95 a month. DSL killed independent ISPs. This was done by the telecoms corrupting officials within the FCC to circumvent the 1996 Telecommunications Act. This is fact. Right now I pay for a 40mbps plan, but only get 15mbps. If I go lower, say to a 10mbps plan, I get around 3mbps. I spend 80 dollars a month on internet now.

That's what happens when an industry is under a monopoly. Repealing NN is not going to fix this. It doesn't make any sense for the telecoms to be in favor of increased competition in the ISP market. They're writing the laws, not us.

Continue to give that 500 dollars to your corporate overlords. They bank off stupidity.

7. The US boggles me at times. I live in an area in Canada with a goverment owned telecom (private are also present in the market) and yes service keeps improving with lower costs. When my internet got upgraded with Fiber optics I actually paid less per month and got better service. Most provinces without a government player having higher cell/internet fees because without an organization whose mandate is to provide high quality serivce at reasonable prices the private sector charges more because they can. In Canada anyways, there are so few players and high cost to enter market that they have a monopoly. Few people have the resources to start a telecom company. The government telecom also operates on a profit so doesn't cost us tax dollars either.

Insurance is another thing that runs great on government control. We have some of the cheapest car insurance in the country because of a government player. You actual get a refund if they make a profit.

Anyways I'm sure there are some advantages to other side but government involvement has made my life better and cheaper.

• Like Like x 2
  8. yeah that's what i thought...no wiki reference or yt talking points on actual monopolies huh? so weird the left can't come up with one real life example. AGAIN. I thought for sure you'd say big oil or big pharma or the steel industry or the power grid or medicine or education or or or what about the roads lol

9. It's funny how you wanna make this a right vs left thing. I never blame the right or left, just individuals like yourself.

Check post 306

edit WTF? you liked post 307? What are you, a schizophrenic?

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1998:

"Connections speeds were slow. LAN cards would not become standard until around 2001; you either used a modem or your bought an add in Network Interface Card (NIC) if you needed to go faster. Most people used Dial-up Internet access, which with new modems reaching peak downloads speeds with around 56kbps (but typically more like 40kbps). Some people started to get have Integrated Services Digital Network at 64-128kbps, but the overwhelming demands of the Internet stressed the old Public switched telephone network."

notice how they said old public network.

11. I'm sorry buddy. You're too dense for me.

edit: you took a quote from some random dude off of quora.com? Pathetic dude.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-Internet-like-in-1998

• Like Like x 1
  12. #312 MrRaider, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    when was the last time canada innovated something in the tech world? id genuinely like to know? i tried a quick search and all i could find was this.

1919: Television
    Revolutionizing entertainment, the television has been through a revolving door of changes since its initial conception. In fact, the first television set in North America was patented by Quebec-born inventor Reginald Aubrey Fessenden. With over 500 patents to his name (including pioneering breakthroughs in sonar and radio), Fessenden came up with many of his groundbreaking ideas by lying on the carpet with a cat on his chest.

1939: Walkie-Talkie
    Created by Donald Hings, an inventor born in England but raised in Canada, the high-tech two-way radio we’ve come to rely on for personal and job-site use was originally called a “packset.” In 1939, after Hings filled out a U.S. patent for his invention, Canada declared war on Germany and Hings was sent to Ottawa to fine-tune his creation for military use. Still relied on by the military, the newer models are much smaller and have better signal than the original hulking backpack-style prototypes.

1949: Computerized Trackballs
    Trackballs have come a long way since their conception over six decades ago. We’re familiar with the ones that come in our computer mouse, allowing us to navigate where we want to go on the screen with the swipe of a finger, but the original was intended for radar use following WWII. Invented by Canadian engineers Tom Cranston and Fred Longstaff, along with British colleague Kenyon Taylor, the first trackball was constructed using a bowling ball, making it an innovative but seriously weighty contraption.

1950: External Electronic Pacemaker
    Still used today to regulate heart rates with electrical impulses that contract the heart muscles, the external pacemaker was invented by John Hopps, a Winnipeg-born electrical engineer known as the “father of biomedical engineering in Canada.” Hopps worked with two doctors at the University of Toronto, and found that if a heart stopped because of cooling, it could be restarted artificially. His external pacemaker (the first internal artificial pacemaker was successfully implanted in 1958 by a Swedish team) used vacuum tubes to create a pulse.

1950s: Electric Wheelchair
    Originally developed to assist injured WWII veterans, the electric wheelchair was invented by Hamilton, Ont., native George Klein. Today, it’s a lifeline for people all over the world, drastically improving their mobility and independence. Known as the most productive 20th-century inventor in Canada, Klein’s original technological configuration isn’t far off from today’s motorized wheelchairs. Some of his other invention collaborations include the microsurgical staple gun and the Canadarm, a robotic arm used on NASA’s Space Shuttle.

1955: Instant Replay
    In true Canadian form, the first use of instant replay was broadcast during Hockey Night in Canada. George Retzlaff, a CBC Television producer, used a telerecording replay several minutes after the original live clip – blowing the minds of Canadians and Americans alike. Slow-motion replay was subsequently spurred from this breakthrough, allowing referees and officials to consult on plays. Today, we can pause and rewind live TV right from our remote thanks to Retzlaff’s ingenious invention.

1968: IMAX Projector
    Based in Mississauga, Ont., IMAX (Image Maximum) was created by three Canadian filmmakers – Graeme Ferguson, Robert Kerr and Roman Kroitor – following Expo ‘67 in Montreal. At the Expo, the trio viewed films that used multi-screen platforms, and were inspired to create a projector that was bigger and more complex to help film really come alive. With the help of engineer William Shaw, they created a projector with the capability to show film ten times larger than traditional 35mm frames – and with amazing quality. Today, IMAX boasts over 730 theatres (IMAX 3D, IMAX and IMAX Dome) in more than 53 countries worldwide.

but its been a while since you guys brought anything to the table in innovation?

edit
    what happened in 1968 that could have changed this?
    The Canadian federal election of 1968 was held on June 25, 1968, to elect members of the Canadian House of Commons of the 28th Parliament of Canada. The Liberal Party won a majority government under its new leader, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.

13. That's some straight up troll shit.

14. spamming us with more bullshit? WTF is your point?

15. Lol if you want to do that research go ahead but I can gurantuee there is more. I am sure there is more out of US but you guys are 10x bigger so not really something I am trying argue. All I was contributing to the discussion is that government involvment has helped me as a consumer. Not really sure how a government owned telecom (competeing against willing private companies) means that all Canadian innovation is doomed but your entitled to your opinion.

You seem to have an unmovable opinion that all regulation and any government involvment is bad. Don't really care enough to try and debate you and that is really a much broader subject than is being discussed. I personally don't believe all private is bad and believe both sides of the coin have their roles to play.

• Like Like x 1
  16. my point is government interference freezes innovations, but you cant see it. If canada wants to wait for the rest of the world to innovate then implement it then fine. But to act as though its somehow better is delusional at best. History has clearly shown that government interference stiffles growth, and does very little to protect the consumer. But if everyone wants to just assume that more is happening and that theres always better things to do than make a sound arguement then hey wut eva right? whats the saying ignorance and apathy?

17. Corporations influence our government to create monopolies. Monopolies do nothing for the government, unless they're getting some kind of compensation for creating a monopoly for a corporation. It's sad you can't understand that.

18. its why i argue against nn lol.
    so let me get this straight. you are worried about perceived local monopolies which you cant find, and you want to give them national monopolies granted by government? and to make this point you say corps influence governments to get some kind of compensation and that's why you want government in bed with said corporations? im really having a hard time following your logic gw. Why do you think the internet is a RIGHT?

19. You're crazy if you think nn is going to create more competition and technology. That ship has already sailed away back in the nineties. NN is all about more control for the monoplies and a consolidation of power and influence. So blind.