The need for a god is universal.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by amsterdamage, Jan 23, 2010.

1. I believe that God or a spiritual beliefe in a higher power comes from the fact that there is simply so much that we don't know and will never be able to prove. I think that the purpose of god/religion should be to supplement what we don't understand about the world.
    Sicence will never be able to prove/disprove the existance of the soul or the afterlife
    also physisests can track the formation of the universe all the way back to a few nanoseconds after the big bang, before that, all of the physical laws break down.
    I believe that god and faith exist to fill in these gaps
    I also believe that organized religion is just a generalized pile of shit. I think that the only true way to set up a perfect belief system is to pick and choose from many different philosophies and religious texts.
    I consider myself spiritual, but not religious

2. Holy shit you're hilarious. When the hell did I ever mention a god gene? I said instincts are genetic, I never said believing in God is. I don't, my father, mother, and all 4 grand parents do. I'm one of the first in my family not to be a practicing Roman Catholic, so how is it that the gene missed my brother and I if it's dominant?

As I just said, and obviously you missed, believing in God is not hereditary, it's nurture. You're pressured into believing in a higher power, simply because you're uncertain of the workings of nature and the after life. I think the main reason people started believing in God is to explain earthly events and to answer the age old question; Where do I go when I die?

Those are my thoughts, atleast.

3. Thats a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE claim op, I'd like to see where you get your facts.