Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The necessity to be EXTRA careful when consuming your edibles.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Klao, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Ive made some good brownies using soap bar/really rubbish hash and fuck it was intense.

I find my body is uber relaxed, so if you dip into a paranoid mood, it does indeed feel like its hard to beathe...

Most of my brownie experiences have been good, thanks to good company.

However when I eat them alone things tend to become a bit messy.

2. This post became way longer than i intended it to be. Sorry, I am faded :p

I definitely agree with the op! A couple years ago, a friend and I made some weed cupcakes :) they were so yummy, and we were smoking too, so i kept eating more while thinking "oh it's just one more". We didn't even make them that strong, just a quarter of an ounce in a 24 cupcake batch, but I ended up eating like 8 or 9 cupcakes that night >.<

I got so high that I kept almost passing out while standing. I remember everything would start to get black and I stumbled to a chair and sat down right before I passed out. Before too long, sitting up was too much, and i had to run to the couch to lay down.

I passed out and woke up sometime in the early morning. We were 2nd and 3rd years in college at the time, but she still lived at home with her mother. I somehow ended up stumbling into her mom's bathroom and passing out on the floor :confused: and I guess I slept there for a couple hours until her mom woke up and found me there in the bathroom lol.

She was just like "oh, oh, i'm sorry..." and politely closed the door (she was a hippie so she didn't care about the weed).
    It was awkward seeing her after that, haha.....finding some girl passed out in your bathroom, covered with cupcake crumbs? I was fucked up :eek:

3. #83 sweetscent420, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
    Haven't smoked in a month. Yesterday at 8:30 I ate a cookie and started to feel high extremely quickly. At first it was relaxing and okay. But then it got weird, started tripping, overreacting and going nuts because my friends were screwing with me. A little later I started feeling really thirsty, intense cotton mouth. I felt nauseous, dizzy, and had to make myself throw up 3 or 4 time. I woke up this morning originally feeling and little better (eyes are not red, not as baggy underneath) but I still feel like I'm still high.

Last night I had some chest burning, shivering, felt like I was hot when I had no temperature. I was just really scared. And flipped out. Never doing that again.

I'm in class now (college student) and plan on going to sleep as soon as I am done with classes. Will this pass soon? It's been almost 14 hours and I really want this paranoid, anxious feeling to go away.

Can I take Advil?

Please help calm me down and reassure me.

Thanks

4. I feel better than I did last night but still weird. After reading online it seems like I have had to much THC. Am I in danger?

I have all the symptoms of it but I want to know if I should contact medical assistance or wait it out. I've been drinking tons of liquids and just started being able to eat.

Please respond.

I just feel really paranoid and nervous. Thanks.

5. you'll be fine, you cannot OD on THC

6. I 100% agree with you and would like to share my similar story.

A few months back I was in colorado visiting a friend, and doing some work at my families land in the mountains. Before I headed home I had my friend stop at a dispensary and get me some bud and a few edibles. We pulled up to the little hut-like building and my buddy walked in. A short 15 mins later he walks out witha big grin on his face. He got in my car and we get heading back to his place so seperate it all. 4 quarters of all different buds: orange bud, white widow, bubble skunk, and Sage x Afghan. He also pulls out a white paper bag stapled shut. He smiles and hands it to me; inside I find a few jolly rancher type things plus a hearty piece of carrot cake. He warns me to take it easy with the carrot cake because each piece of the cake had about 3-4.5 grams of sativa hash, plus even more in the frosting. I listened to him, but didnt really believe him that it would be too much all at once. Weary of its strength, I ate half of it just to be safe. Within 1 hour I feel this high come on, weak at first. I thought that it wasnt going to get anymore intense so I quickly dug up the rest of that carrot cake and devoured it. About 15 mins after it all went down the hatch I realize; Holy fuck I'm stoned! And I start to realize the mistake I had made. I hadn't even felt the full effects yet nessecarily and it was already too much.

About 4 hours later, I look in the mirror. I guess to my suprise I see myself with blood red eyes, I mean BLOOD RED, there really wasnt any whiteness to my eye. About 8 hours after the initial ingestion I'm almost tripping I dont even realized how ripped I am. I crawl in bed and pass the fuck out.

This is wehre it gets scary. The next morning I had to wake up for work pretty early, 6am. I pull myself outta bed and realize something is seriously wrong. I was super delerious and could not think straight. I kept thinking that I had seriously fucked myself over and that I had given my self schizophrenia. I though: well this is how life is now. I better get used to it. I somehow get myself to work and walk in. I shouldnt be here, I am literally disabled from this edible, my mind isnt the same. I go to my manager and dumbfoundedly stare at her at a loss for words. She says you look awful, and pale. I just kinda chuckle and stupidly agree and say that I feel awful.

I continue home and make it all the into my room and find out that Im about to be sick. I rush to my bathroom and vomit at least 6 times, then I lie down on the bathroom floor for another 10 mins and crawl into my room and sleep for 10 more hours. I woke up after that feeling horribly groggy, that continued till the next day.

7. It is safe to say I have something similar to what you experience. I still feel that way kind of... am I or should I contact medical assistance? I'm trying to sleep but my body feels hot even though my temperature is perfect. I had this last night too after I ate it at 8:30. I think I am functioning better now and my eyes are not red at all but I feel weird.

8. Holy shit, these are some crazy ass happenings, I've never felt any of this throwing up/panic attack/insane lethargy shit. Me and my friend ate edibles before going on an away football match(as in, real football, not american football) and both of us thought it was the best thing ever. Both very high but very enjoyably high for 8 or 9 hours. And the match ended 6-6...lol, like best night of my life.

9. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, and I can co-sign the OP's experience and warnings because I've been there. But one thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this entire thread is something that I must warn everyone of: DO NOT DRIVE ON EDIBLES!!! That may seem obvious, but for me it wasn't obvious enough.

I had tried weed brownies numerous times in the past, and they never did shit for me. I came to this forum and saw the stickied thread on how to make canna-peanut butter. It was a Saturday morning and my plan for the day was to go to my friend's new house to watch college football and smoke for hours. I made the peanut butter before I set off. I ate it in two PB and honey sandwiches, still skeptical of the effects.

About an hour and a half in I was higher than shit. It felt like I had smoked 6 blunts or something, which for me was fine because I do that all the time. I got in my car feeling high but fine to drive. I'd like to think that I've always been a good and cautious driver no matter how much weed and/or alcohol I've enjoyed. I was barely into my journey when I noticed the high creeping upward seemingly by the second. I turned completely stupid on the road, and anything over 40 mph became terrifying. I was scared shitless of speed. It was hard to steer because my hand was shaking, and I felt I might be weaving in and out of my lane. I tried to turn on the air or crack a window, but nothing helped. I got to a light at a familiar intersection and I literally forgot the rule on which car gets to turn first. I almost smashed into several cars. What sucked the most was I was going to a house that I had never been to, in an unfamiliar area, all while I was tripping balls. Through the grace of God I finally made it to his house and collapsed on his couch. From that point on, my experience mirrors the original poster. I'll never do that shit again.

10. Wow. I just bumped into this thread while searching for something else -- don't even remember what it was now, but I read the whole thing from start to finish.

Although I've never been to the point with edibles that the OP was at, I've come close a few times. I'm very cautious by nature, so that's probably why.

Sometime around '78-'80 I got too high on smoke, for me anyway. I was at work, and me and another guy were working on a 750 ton (clamp pressure) die cast machine and we're passing a joint back and forth between the clamp platens. Imagine getting your head caught in that thing, it would be about 1/32 of an inch thick if it closed, lol. Not to mention the danger of the nearby pot that held hundreds of pounds of molten zinc, which, as I recall, would be around 800 degrees F.

Not really any chance of anything happening as the machine was supposedly disabled, but the weed this guy had was crazy. I was so fucked up I couldn't function for a half hour or so. I had to go hide for a while, but as you would expect it didn't last long.

As for edibles I've had the feeling that my arms and legs didn't really exist, but if I moved them a bit they would feel normal. And I've had the breathing thing, but not to the point that the OP (and other posters here) had. It was just something that I noticed, that I needed to breathe. I've never gotten nauseous. And I never got to the point with edibles that I got scary high, but I came close enough to understand that it would NOT be a good thing.

From start to finish, I've had 24 hour highs although the next day it's more like walking around in a fog than being high. Although it wasn't a bad or scary feeling, it was NOT really a nice feeling, and at times you wonder if it will ever go away.

So for anyone who wants to experiment, I would read all the posts on this thread where they got all fucked up for hours on end and it was NOT nice. Once it goes down the hatch, and it is too much, you're committed -- unlike with smoking where you can feel it coming on and dose yourself accordingly.

And you won't even know that it was too much for a couple of hours or more. And there's not a fucking thing you can do about it but ride it out.

11. Thanks for the post, I'm well experienced with edibles, but I'm taking a record long month tolerance break, and taking the time to make a very potent Green Dragon, using an ounce of high quality medical bud, and a total of 750ml Everclear once reduced from the original half gallon. Normally I can eat lots of edibles without feeling all that high, but after this tolerance break I don't know what it will be like.

Will make me err on the side of caution this february :rolleyes:

12. happened to me as well.

once i made the firecracker too strong, and made a mistake of going out into the city. i was tripping balls and had to take a cab home. a few times that night i was sure i was going to die :)
    it was as intense as a light, but bad shroom trip.

second time, that was more recent, it started off pretty smoothly and then went into a 2hr panic attack. i nearly dialed 911.

thankfully i know that nothing bad can possibly happen, but man the feelings are really intense.

be mindful of your edibles :) !

13. Has happened to me in the pass... Some of my edible trips almost feel as if I had LSD. Had my first ever panic attack off firecrackers (A++ medical grade). However, I have learned to use sativas, not indicas for edibles. If I have an indica one, I trip out and eventually pass out. While on a sativa one, I am able to control my highness, even if I know I am super-baked out of my mind. In addition, I occasionally consume anti-anxiety/panic attack medicine if I start to feel as if I was loosing my mind.

Good luck with edibles! And know that if you are having a bad attack the best thing to think is that the edible trip will come to an end soon. (take a shower, or a bath and just relax)

14. :eek:WOW!:eek: I'm sorry you had that horrible experience, but thank you so much for posting about it. I'm very VERY new to all this. Getting 'too high' doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm looking for a comfortable, relaxing high.

Given the low tolerance I have, this is a strong reminder I need to start out with very little weed in my edibles. I plan to make some canna PB this weekend and eat it with ritz. The 'sticky' recipe calls for a half gram of weed per cut of PB. I think I'll do even less than that.

Thanks again for posting.

15. Do you take any antacids or tried eating mango before and during eating /smoking?

16. Man you need to test these people, a lot of people think they are stoners, or have a high tolerance, but I bet after 10 bowls they are fucking done. Done as in passed the fuck out...most people don't realize what a high tolerance is, and if you can't smoke a lot in one sitting, edibles will kick your ass.

17. How to Get UnHigh: A guide for an uncomfortable edible dose.

Take a hot shower, hot enough to make your skin red.

Your CB1 receptors(part of your brain that makes you high) is also the inflammatory response center of the brain(and a plethora of other things).

If you get your skin inflamed(red) your CB1 receptors will be distracted and you will become un-high or at least have a severely dulled down high.

18. Unfortunately, I am that newbie who has painfully experienced this as my first time EVER with marijuana. I only had 2 bites of a nasty brownie but that was enough for me to have the almost the same experience you did. I couldnt breathe well, eat, sleep, think, kept vomiting and twitching, but worst of all, my newbie friends who had more than me were slightly stoned LEFT ME ALONE! Having a severe panic attack thinking I was dying and that my parents were going to walk into the hotel room any minute while being alone and waaaaaaay too high, I called the police! While on a gourney and half unconscious, my mother told them I was going to be alright so they left me and didnt do much else (surprisingly, since Im only 16 and its illegal for me to be smoking).
    So my mother put me into a hot shower were I vomited a few more times then put me in my bed. I woke up mildy high the next day since the only thing I had eaten the day before was a sandwich and 2 bites of an edible.
    After this experience I have decided that that one time would be my very first and last interaction with weed

19. #99 HighFoSho, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    No. You only "think" you do.

I have to agree with another poster above who said that in spite of his logical side "knowing" that he would be okay, it still didn't keep him from freaking the fuck out !

I've been over high a few X's. The worst of it only lasted a couple hours... but even that was enough to make me pay more attention to the size of my dose + what else I've eaten, and when....

Being over high just totally sucks ass. Only people who haven't been there might think it would be fun.

20. #100 kkthehighguy, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    While I entirely appreciate the OP creating this thread and documenting his experience I think I do happen to have the worst (best?) edible story. My account is even more vivid because it is only now ending.

The reason for the edible, how much I put in and why?

I had a tonsillectomy (throat surgery to remove tonsils), septoplasty (nasal surgery to fix deviated nose) & turbinectomy (nasal surgery to cut up parts of the nose to help you breathe better) 11 days ago. I stopped the pain meds on day 9 and on day 10 tried to go without Tylenol too since it was upsetting my stomach. By the evening things had started to get uncomfortable with the pain a little. For those that don't know, these 3 surgeries are some of the most painful you can have and to combine them all at once tests even the brassiest balls like say mine. I've been hit by 20 guys simultaneously when I was in high school and not let it get to me (that's how I got the deviated nose). So I know I can't vape (my preferred method of cannabis consumption) because I still got this gaping wound in my throat and we don't want to infect it or anything. I decided to wait to vape until day 21 after surgery when Docs clear you for alcohol and stuff. So I decide to go the edible route. Note that I regularly take out the weed from the vaporizer when it's done and just eat it (taste doesn't bother me) and it doesn't get me especially high.

The recipe for the death spiral high

So I decide to grind up one full big bud (what I would normally vape in a 3-4 hour session) and do something very simple with it. I take aluminum foil, put 2 big pieces of chocolate on it side by side, throw a bunch of weed on each, lay 1 marshmallow each on top of the chocolates, set the toaster over to 300 degrees (F) and let it rip for 6 minutes. At the end of it, you can smell that the weed has been thoroughly cooked and whatever reactions may be necessary to activate the damn thing have happened because it smells like you just vaped through a bag of weed in that toaster. Considering I just had my tonsillectomy and can't eat anything too hot I throw the 2 chocolate-marshmallow-weed concoctions into the freezer for 10 mins.

The consumption of the edibles and the pre-"acid trip" high stage

With my 2 edibles nicely cooled after 10 mins in the freezer, I take them out and just chomp them down like a champ thinking this is the amount of weed I smoke most days so no issues and I had read all these stories on the internet about unless the edibles are cooked for hours the THC isn't released properly etc etc. I chomp them down while sitting in front of my computer with minimal impact. At some point an hour later I realize I am getting a little sluggish like spilling a glass of water which would NEVER happen normally because I get super aware when I'm high and make sure I don't do shit like this so I decide it's time to turn to bed even though I don't sense much of a high coming on. Just the pain in the throat/ears/nose etc. seems to have gone so that's good but other than that, very weak high.

The "acid trip" high

I lay on my bed and turn on an episode of heroes on netflix. We are slowly going past the 2 hour mark of consuming the edibles and that's where it begins to come on TOO strong. The high is climbing at supersonic rates all of a sudden. I can't feel my legs in the bed as they fall asleep and generally can't feel my extremities. I'm already telling myself this wasn't what I bargained for but it hasn't gotten too bad yet. I head to the bathroom and take a dump, makes me feel mildly better for a second and then I'm back to the high climbing at uncontrollable rates. At some point, I'm in bed and realize I'm having trouble breathing. That's where the panic starts. At some point I somehow return to the bathroom and commence trying to take a dump but begin puking instead ("great" for that tonsillectomy I'm sure but thank God it's been 11 days). Again, feels good for a sec but then begins to climb again. At some point I can no longer hold on to reality. I'm half inside a dream, half out knowing I may need to hurl any second but unable to fall FULLY asleep for the standard fear of stopping breathing. I return to the bathroom somehow 5-6 more times in the next 2 hours 3 of which result in more actual puking sessions (so 4 in all). I am shaking all over because I feel I need to, to hold on to reality. When I'm feeling a little better during all this I also run around the bed because I find it helps me keep touch with reality. Otherwise I'm back hurling over the can. I had read earlier in the evening a "heavy meal" offsets this so I try to eat some more of the chocolate but stop, thinking the fat might make it worse. I then try to eat pasta but immediately take it out of my mouth and throw it in the trash in a sort of violent reaction. I somehow return to bed and watch this go on. 

The suicidal stage AKA SCARIEST part of the high/trip

I have always had a very cavalier attitude towards life. As in if it gets too bad I don't mind killing myself (like if I lost some major organ or was in constant pain or couldn't think anymore etc). But this was always just a theory which I'd never had to test. But during this trip I reached the point that I wanted the high to end and said killing myself was an option. I have a gun and it is in the closet in my room so I had to stop myself from actually going towards it 4 times.I don't know if I would have gone through with it but I can't be sure. In those moments I could have done anything in a snap so I had to pull together and stop myself from going towards the gun (parked past the bathroom in the closet thankfully, pretty far from the bed). I also remember just sitting by the can in near tears (haven't cried in 20 years) asking myself if this is the worst I have ever felt as I tried to breath, tried to feel my own face and tried to stay in touch with reality which I constantly lost to dream like sequences which made no sense like many dreams don't. 

The come down but still high stage

After my 4th puking session I knew this was my window to end this "trip". The minutes of lucidity offered after the hurling was my opportunity to fall asleep without the breathing issue. I ran around the bed to get myself more tired and collapsed on the bed. Then fought through 7-8 dream sequence like events to gain lucidity and put myself to sleep. I also turned on my CPAP (oxygen machine-ish for sleep apnea) which I hadn't had to use since surgery and blew the air in my face and I think that helped a lot in helping me fall asleep. The process had gone on for 2-2.5 hrs since the high first started climbing out of control. 

I woke up 4-5 hours later. Still very high but out of the acid trip stage. I quickly took a dump and went back to bed. Slept another 3 hours. Another trip to the bathroom and tried to fall asleep but didn't want to thinking this would be like after a hangover. Nope, this was 11 AM now, nearly 14 hours after I had consumed the edible and I still had trouble standing up. I go downstairs and get myself some jello and a croissant and some cheese trying to eat the high away. Still too high. No acid trip but have bad headache and unable to stop going to the bathroom. Order a pizza around 2 PM continuing to try and eat it away. Eat quite a few slices. Still too high. Also seem to have diarrhea now. I then get a red bull. This does help a little and I start to come down and find real lucidity for the first time in nearly 20 hours. Can't overdo the red bull though. I want to sleep in 3-4 hours (around the 25-26 hour mark after consuming edibles). I know I won't feel completely better until I sleep a full night's sleep again.

That's when I came up here to write this little story. As I finish writing this I guess the red bull is wearing off and the room is starting to spin a little again now 23 hours after I first consumed that edible (this has stopped now 20 mins after I wrote this but may come back as these "waves" have come constantly for the past 23 hours).

This is truly awful and I'll be staying away from edibles for a very long time. I will try and vape (but not this batch, this is clearly Indica and I hate it, I want Sativa) 10-15 days from now when I feel up to it (if I do). 

So be forewarned people, I vape this amount regularly and am fully functional. But the edible has me nearly down for the count 23 hours later still. You just have to be very careful because again, once it sets in you're committed for however long this takes to get out of your system. Unlike vaping/smoking where it'll be out of your system in an hour or 2 no matter what and certainly out after you sleep a few hours this doesn't just go away. Some have reported as little as 8 hours for it to go away in this thread. I am still sitting half high here (I guess a "quarter high" at this point) 23 hours later.

PROCEED WITH CAUTION with edibles.