The Myth of Voluntary Military

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Felt, Jul 31, 2011.

1. #1 Felt, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
    Excerpt from It's A Jetson's World

The Myth of the Voluntary Military - Jeffrey A. Tucker - Mises Daily

2. Conscientious objection has worked pretty well for me so far. Just have to maintain it and let people around you know, that way if it ever comes into question, enough people know your stance to back you up. A few peace rallies doesn't hurt either.

3. I actually support mandatory military service. I think it would whip a lot of today's younger people into shape. Teach them some respect and discipline, I wish the United States enforced such a thing. All to often do I run into disrespectful teens (18-19) and young adults (20-25). Yet "personal freedoms" seem to be so common these days, I cannot say or do a thing about it.
    I've run into the same problems in my time in Germany,UK,and Austria.

4. #4 Jazzyj, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    And there aren't disrespectful adults? I've met plenty of 30+ year olds that need to be "whipped into shape." I'm a very polite, respectful, intelligent 23 year old, thank you very much. I go to college, work, volunteer, and contribute to society. I'd rather not be forcefully ripped away from everything I know and love under threat of imprisonment to be dumped in a desert on the other side of the world to die.

5. Yes, but the article isn't talking about being pro or against war. It's about the immorality of forcing people to do things they don't want to do.

If a service member's contract is up they shouldn't be forced to continue serving unless they want to.

No contract or institution should force anyone to give up their free will. .02

6. If you want to whip your kids into shape and teach them a little respect then why don't you send them to bootcamp or something.

7. Theoretically, if a contract goes up, you just need refrain from signing the renewal for the contract to end. If there's no contract, there's no legally forcing you to do anything unless mandated by law. If they're requiring that people renew contracts by law, it's unconstitutional and needs to be challenged in court.

I'm not only against war...

8. It's called Stop-Loss policy;
    Yet, this is mandated by law even though it is unconstiutional for a previous service member to involuntarily continue fighting. Of course, previous judge ruling on these type of cases don't seem to think it's unconstitutional to force someone against their will to serve.

Stop-loss policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. Well if it's claused into the contract, I could see it being hard to get out of after you've already signed the initial contract. However, I also believe it's common sense that a contract has to have a fixed term and an out. Slavery is illegal, so I don't really get how anyone could call it unconstitutional or justify it based on what I currently know.

10. Who needs personal freedom when you can be forced to kill people, right?

11. #11 schmidty797, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011
    I don't have kids, I'm talking about general blatant disrespect in all aspects.
    Trying to tell me that it doesn't exist, or to only enforce it on my own children is stupid. I also find it disturbing because our country is going to be full of a bunch of fucking lazy ass kids. Oh wait, it already is.

You can sit around, and argue with me. Have fun doing that, however it's happening and when it does everyone will complain about it. Like they do with every aspect of life. One minute the populace agrees, the next they disagree. People are full of shit. No one is ever happy, we always want more. More personal freedom, more cars, more tv, more credit cards. That's why we are in mass amounts of debt. Now everyone complains about it, because it's "real" to them. It wasn't "real" when they took out that 2nd mortgage, or financed that 2nd car.

The government plays a big part in some of our problems. But a lot of them are caused by us.
    Nobody want's to take responsibility for mistakes they've made.

You are clearly anti-military. Therefore I see no point in arguing with you, this also proves you have never experienced military life. Nor do you understand anything regarding military lifestyle or working in a military environment.

In regards to arguing against "forcing" troops to serve after contracts are up. I do agree that unless in a completely necessary time of war (World War) that shouldn't be done. But this is a matter of the people of the United States speaking out against that in the correct manner.

12. So instead of having kids be around their family and friends, even though they may be "disrespectful", you'd rather have them forced into the American imperialistic war machine, stripped down of their morals, and taught that killing is okay, even good? Do you know what goes on in the military? It's not like the commercials bro.

US military suicide rate at record high

Granted, a lot of people come out of the military with more dignity and respect for authority. But a lot of them don't. Forced military service for the youth is not a good idea.

13. Sounds kind of dystopia-ish, tbh.

14. #14 gedio, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    I'm anti mandatory military service, I'd be in the first wave of people to burn conscription cards. I understand that if people don't want to join the military and kill people they shouldn't be forced to against their will. The culture built up around military life is of little interest to me.

15. If the whole world depends on today's youth, I can't see the world lasting another 100 years. \t\t

\t\t- Socrates

He was wrong too.

16. You've shown to be ignorant, enjoy arguing on a internet forum.

17. Which part was wrong exactly?

18. I believe you're the ignorant one if you think forcing todays kids to learn to kill other human beings because the man told them to is beneficial.

Have you served in the military?

19. Yes,yes I have. And to my knowledge we are not conscripted, we are not forced. But we instead choose to do so.

As to the other person, ignorance doesn't mean you are wrong or right.

You must "hate" the man. You hate him for all the things he makes you do.
    I call that the blame game.

20. You guys should all read Johnny Got His Gun