The Musician's Spot (new thread idea)

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by alicedee07, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I think there should be a new thread called the Musician's spot, where musician's can come in to talk about whatever stuff like instrument techniques, songs from a musician's point of view, recommendations, mini lessons, and just stuff about musician's in general. It should at least be a subcategory of music. I mean come on let's face it, this forum is pretty big. Lots of people into music, but not as many play an instrument and/or write music. That is why we should create our own forum or sub-forum.

2. Yeah yeah, this is a great idea for a thread. I guess I'm not too sure how I should start off this post, so I guess I'll ask for some advice.

Lately I've been trying to ease into starting home-recording. Anybody out there have a guide for cheap, but high quality home studio set-ups?

3. I really can't see why. No one is stopping you from doing exactly what you want to do or from discussing what you want to discuss. Just seems unnecessary to me.

4. I myself am a muscian.....I know quite a bit about home recording since I use to do it off of my macbook lap top up until the screen cracked and the hard drvie crashed......but I digress.....thee easiest method, HANDS DOWN, would be to invest in some kind of mac laptop.....light weight, portable (face it, everything is on the go.....your computer should be to), but the price is a little steep usually.......I paid about 3500 for my laptop in hawaii about a year ago....so,.....u might be looking at 2500 to 3000 dollars.......ill pause here

5. Ok,....u might be wondering "why a MAC?"......garage band and itunes come built in with every mac now a days practically......so why spend money for a download or extra hard ware for you PC when MACs come with extra extremities, so to speak........with minal maintence, u are looking at a savings of at least 2k within the next two years (price of fixing viruses, spyware, hacks, etc....) by simply spending more money now......MOVING ON.......let me ask what equipment do u have already?

6. Because there is a big difference between discussing music in general, and music composition, arrangement, and instrument techniques. It is probably better off being a subcategory in the music forum.

7. yes. when i started playin i had no idea what i was doin but now its easy peasy. for about 6 months i couldnt play shit, i was just really tryin to stretch my fingers, then my uncle came over and was like dude you play?? awesome. and he started shreddin and played "war pigs" and i was just completely astonished.

so i tried to do the chords he was playin and i got and eventually i just came up with my own patterns that sounded really cool.

then i saw victor wooten play at bananas at large and he said somethin i'll never forget "you can shred on the bass no doubt, but are you playin music, or are you playin bass?" that completely changed my perspective on music and i saw it as perception of my mind more than just fancy flambouent solos and riffs

so i really worked on melody until i found DEATH, i love chuck shuldiner's style of perfect melodicness and technicality without losing heavyness

then i found nile, i was just so blown away because i found the "sound" i was looking for. their use of egyptian sounding chords patterns and middle eastern scales was so good i had an earjaculation

so i learned the byzantine scale and some others and i've been lost in the sound since

8. That's the thing about music in general. Regardless of whether or not you can shred like crazy on a bass, or just play two chords throughout a song, it's about how the music makes you feel inside that truly determines great music. While the crazy things that Victor Wooten does on the bass is amazing music, a simple song like:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPNRDMQ_XE]YouTube - Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan[/ame]

Which has a single riff throughout the entire song, relatively simple to play, is an amazing song. If the music succeeds in taking you to another plain of existence far beyond this one, than it is truly good music regardless of how difficult it is to play.

9. this is a great thread idea.
    just wanted you to know that.:wave: