The music project

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by PhishPhood, Jun 11, 2008.

1. So I'm sure someone attempted this before, but lets give it another try.

The idea is that we've got a great mix of people here music wise. We've got DJ's, people making their own beats, drummers, bass players, guitarists etc.

I think it'd be great if we could create sort of a Grass city Jam track. We can start it with someone lying down a bass line and submitting it. It can be downloaded then by the guys who do beats/play drums, and they can all add their own thing behind it. Give each person like 16 measures or something, then a bridge, then a new person.

After that we can have each guitar player make it their own by adding a small lead or something like that.

I'm pretty good at mixing so I'd love to take on the challenge, plus it'd be a ton of fun.

This WILL NOT be limited to the standard instruments. If you play trumpet SICK, lets have a nice trumpet solo in there. I'm down for ANY instrument. Play the glockenspiel? Lets do it!

So first, lets discuss keys. I'd vote major key and keep it on the happy side. Hows A maj work for everyone?

2. I'd do this but I don't have any way of recodring my bass. >.<

3. Hmmm, I should get my trombone out. Ska anyone? :D

4. This has no real point in the thread... but damn... you made me realize I shouldn't of quit playing my trombone....

As far as key goes... A Major FTW ^_^

5. Yeah I know, my trombone has been sitting in my closet for a few years now. The guitar and bass and drumset just keep me occupied. haha.

EDIT
    Should the track be a stereo track?
    What format? (MP3, WAV, FLAC, ect)
    Oh, and 16 measure really won't mean shit unless we have a set tempo.

One vote for Amaj.

6. A Maj sounds good.

Maybe 130 bpm in 4/4 time??

I think I can record me doing something on the piano.

7. Sweet rev, that'll be awesome. And def get out the trombone, that'll be crazy haha

I was just using 16 measures as an example. Lets discuss the song structure...

130 4/4 sounds good to me.

As for recording Id say everyone get teh program Audacity. Its free and can be found here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You need to simply plug your guitar into the mic/line in on your computer (will require a 1/4 -> 1/8 jack) or play into a mircophone. The tracks can be cleaned up a bit from background noise if needed, but who cares. Its more for fun than anything else.

Recorded in stereo I'd say and sent over in mp3 or audacity format would be perfect.

Now, what order do you guys think instruments should be recorded in?