The most horrifying or disturbing book you've ever read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by psilocyberspace, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Probably some Clive Barker. The Damnation Game or The Hellbound Heart

2. The Brothers Karamazov. The chapter "Rebellion" realley frighetened me because it convinced me that existence might be completely meaningless

3. American Psycho, or if you want to read some really fucked up shit, check out the Holy Bible. You might have heard of that one, it's quite popular.

4. Hands down, "The Jungle", Upton Sinclair.

5. The Soft Machine by William S. Burroughs speaks repetitivly about Rectum Mucous and Little Kids Masturbating in Trees and Time travel and Human Deformities and Heroin and it also exploits Underage Minorities. This is easily one of the more fucked up reads from the 50's. Definitely a must read for stream of consciousness lovers Hunter S Thompson etc. Very Paranoid Druggy and It will Mind Fuck you Oh Yeah

6. Reading a book on North Korea called "The Impossible State"... a little pro-Bush but aside from that I'm enjoying it a great deal. Pretty horrifying descriptions of life in the Hermit Kingdom, made even more bone chilling by the fact that none of it is fiction. 

7. #67 squidrick420, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
    Naked Lunch
    By William S. Burroughs.

I loved it but damn is it disturbing....

Edit: That is literally all i can say about this book without violating several forum rules lol. I suggest reading it...

8. I tend to stick to non-fiction, and there are some pretty scary things. The only time I read fiction was way back in HS when it was forced.

So for that, I'd say Catcher and the Rye.

9. #69 squidrick420, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
    I wrote a huge paper on Burroughs for my final paper in my college honors English class last semester! I had to read most of his works and several bios. He was the best possible choice for an author for a stoner like me to cover. There is something about the way with which he vividly portrays gruesome acts that almost invokes those same feelings in the body as you read it. And the flow he writes with is remarkable in how it captures his monotonous droning voice.

10. My AP history teacher in high school made everyone in the class read this with stories of what to expect from the graphic descriptions of meat processing, but I never found it that deterring and proudly/rebelliously ate hotdogs while reading it.

I read Tweak when I was pretty young in middle school and I thought it was pretty disturbing at the time, but the only parts that got to me were descriptions of using needles

11. A child called It

Pretty fucked up its about a child living in a house with a seriously abusive mother.

12. I read the iceman a few weeks ago and it's genuinely horrific I had to keep reminding myself that it's actually a true story because some of the things he did were so unbelievable it seems like fiction but it's not 
    I highly recommend it, the book that is not the film, the film doesn't do the book any justice and they left all the most shocking parts out

13. #73 marsdude89, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    Weaveworld had some pretty disturbing scenes. Dudes getting raped by a ghost-whore, and then nearly getting murdered by their own demon-ghost-babies.

Yeah...it hasn't make me sick...but it gives a certain feel that is hard to shake after you put it down.

'The Road' was pretty disturbing and 'No Country for Old Men'...damn he (Cormac McCarthy) can write though. 

King can write some creepy stuff. I love his descriptions.and great character development...The best Ive read actually...but it's mostly just on the strange side of Life, which I like. Probably my favorite writer.

Yes, I see why. It amazes me constantly how cruel humans can be....Cruel is not even a word that is harsh enough. People in North Korea live worse than anything alive.

Murder, rape, torture, starvation, genocide ...the list goes on...'Savage' would be a better word. Savages. 

16. The last several books of the Demonata series. Not because of the gore, killing, murder, demons, etc. It was disturbing how bad they were, and how thoroughly the author was in love with his useless dumbass of a main character. The first 2 books were awesome, had great potential, the third was okay, fourth was a wtf moment, and the next 8 were shit piled on shit piled on the author's creepily extreme love for Grubbs Grady.

In seriousness, I would say "I have no mouth and I must scream". It's just a short story, not a full book, but it works so perfectly that way. The world has been destroyed by man's creation, and the last four people alive are at it's mercy.

17. #78 nonvoco, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
    Think the most disturbing book I can recall reading was 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle'. It had some pretty disturbing parts in it, including someone being skinned alive. It's by Haruki Murakami.

18. Stephen kings IT you gotta read it mate

19. #80 CallmeMaybe, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    Thank you for making this thread! Got a lot of creepy books to look forward to now!