The Moon..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Mantikore, Aug 12, 2011.

1. There's a few theories out there about the Moon and how it was made. It was a planetoid collided with Earth and merged and spewed out shit that turned into the Moon, or it formed else where and got stuck in Earth's gravity, or it was forming and another tiny moon slammed into the back of it, reason the dark side is rigid compared to the front..

I don't think it was any of that. I think it simply formed from the same planetary disk as Earth. (Not a new theory) The back side of the Moon, which is noticeably different, was created by a lack of material.

I was staring at the Moon last night, thinking about how it's tidally locked and thinking how cool it'd be if it had a rotation. Then this idea popped in my head.

Say you take a globe to represent Earth, then a perfectly round, clear sphere as the Moon. You fill the sphere with a magnetic fluid 3/4 the way up, leaving a bubble of nothing at the top. When the Earth pulls on the Moon, it's pull is strong enough to pull the material to Earth, but not enough to break the hold the core of the Moon had on it's material. So the "bubble of nothing" will face away from Earth. The area that faces Earth probably solidified first, more than likely from shit spewing out from Earth, like oxygen oxidizing the face. Meanwhile, the back side of the Moon is still sloshing around and making mountains for a few thousand more years til it too solidifies.

To me, it explains why the Moon is tidally locked, how it was formed (kind of), and why the dark side is so different. I think if there was enough material to fill in the "magnetic sphere" of the Moon, it might have had a rotation.. How sweet would that have been?

I was completely baked when I was thinking about it and am sure someone else has thought of the same thing, but even being sober now, it sounds good to me, lol.

2. i like your theory about the formation of the moon as a whole it sounds like the simplest answer to the question and we all know the saying about the simplest answer.
    however, i think your theory for the dark side is too complex. in actuality the most simple explenation would be that the dark side always points towards open space and therefore is open to all incomming objects. the light side, however, has the earth to block the vast majority of it's incomming objects.

since the eath has an agressive weather cycle compared to the moon's (which is virtually none), the impacts that the earth blocks, are faded/completely gone, or they never even formed visiable because they hit water. which statistically should be like 2/3 of the time.

3. Yeah, I always figured the back side was getting raped compared to the front, but from the new articles I've been seeing floating around like this one 'Big splat' may explain the moon's mountainous far side and Earth May Have Had Two Moons : Discovery News are saying the leading theory is it was once 2 moons and I think that's bogus.

Would explain some of the "seas" on the Moon too. As the side facing us solidified, lava from under it found a crack and was pulled through from Earth's gravity.

Both those articles said the crust on the dark side was thicker.. I don't know if that'd help or debunk my theory.

And then I found this Hotspot Found on Moon's Far Side : Discovery News

4. The moon effects our tides because the moon has mass, and things with mass have gravity. That gravity is strong enough on our tides.

5. i dont think that anyone is debating this fact.

6. i think that objects forming together out of the same dust is the only practicle way for orbits to be stable and circular like we see in our solar system

7. I don't know... The moon is indeed tidally locked, but how are there still craters on the near side?

8. I totally agree.

The Moon is like 250,000 miles away. Things can sneak in there for sure, just not as often as the back side.

When I think if tidally locked bodies, it reminds me of the movie Twins. Like the half that is facing in got all the good material during formation and the back half got all the left over waste.

9. Judging by how long the moon has been sitting there, I'm sure something could have hit it within it's lifetime.

10. the moon orbits earth in the same period it rotates around earth too. in theory the earth will eventually its rotation rate will slow to match its revolution rate(syncronous rotation) meaning the more popular theory of how the moon is still very accurate indeed. both theories are possible, maybe the moon has just slowed down to match rotation/revs and it was a planetoid collision. who knows lol.:bongin:

Grasscity Deals Near You