The Monsanto Protection Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FID, Mar 28, 2013.

1. #1 FID, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
    How the Monsanto Protection Act snuck into law - Salon.com

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-congress-silently-slips-830/

2. This could never happen in America! The government being corrupt to the bone? Obama lied and signed something that he specifically said he would fight durring his first campaign? Say it ain't so!!!

Can we get ICGreen in here to clear all this up and tell us why it's for our own good?

3. I just thought of something. If we genetically modify pot seeds would the cops not be able to rip em?

4. Only if Monsanto has the patent.

5. i was surprised for a second. I thought that's what it was literally called. But then, I realized that laws usually are named the opposite of what they are so people go along with it.

So, do people still think that government imposed regulations benefit the people?

Because it's clearly evident they aren't, and more regulations aren't going to help.

6. I was surprised too till I found out its just the bills nickname

7. Good thing it's only being funded for 6 months.....

8. o_O

I was already in a bad mood today....

9. via fb post lol

[​IMG]

10. At this rate monsanto will have the power to kill off its competition via drone strike by the time I get my small farm started up.

11. #11 AugustWest, Mar 28, 2013
    looks like they got what they paid for.

but surely Obama will veto this, right? He and Michelle are all about safe foods for children, etc. No way they let this go through.

12. yeah, only to be renewed with even more funding after 6 months lol..
    The patriot act had an expiration date as well... how'd that work out?

13. [quote name='"AW"']

looks like they got what they paid for.

but surely Obama will veto this, right? He and Michelle are all about safe foods for children, etc. No way they let this go through.[/quote]

Yea and they and their kids will continue to eat safe healthy organic food

Monsanto headquarters doesnt even use their own food to stock its cafeteria

That should be a huge red flag when the creators of a product dont even use it themselvez

14. #14 Mairuzu, Mar 28, 2013
    “Monsanto Protection Actâ€Â: Anti-GMO Conspiracy Theorists Lose It Over Minor Deregulation | The Skeptical Libertarian

What is your take on this?

and the rest

Despite how "secretive" the bill was passed, even though people apparently still managed to find out, would they pass such an idiotic thing like litigation?

15. EDIT: I see Mairuzu beat me to it...

16. These statements seem contradictory. Monsanto's survival depends on the successes of the farmers using their product. Protecting farmers who use Monsanto's seed is protecting Monsanto by ensuring that they will have more revenue and legal power to continue dominating the seed market.

17. Yeah that part seems rather confusing. I'm still not sure why it needs protecting

18. an input I have found

"It doesn't protect GMO's from litigation. It simply says that if a crop has already been approved, then there won't be a moratorium placed on planting that crop if there is a pending lawsuit. Imagine how absurd it would be if a judge could order all farmers to ditch their crops for that year because someone filed some paperwork. It protects farmers who want to grow crops which have been appproved in the US without having to worry about losing their entire harvest at the whim of a judge."

19. Touche mairuzu.

Can't blame me though two sources had it off.

20. I don't use RT much but once in a while they do have a bias. We should probably wait for more credible sources (whoever they are lol) to talk about this story, but seeing that everyone is reporting this similar criticism, its easy to mistake the majority critique for absolute fact. I'm still not sure on it.