The Miraculous Existence of You

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 20, 2011.

1. It is really incredible, isn't it?

You exist. You are alive. You an entity taking in multiple streams of sensory information - you have the ability to approximate this as a physical environment.

You can move through it and interact with other similar entities, other humans. You can share and contrast these experiences. You can form ideas and opinions about them and express them to others. In time and with luck, you can come to appreciate these entities, and may risk personal distress in order to continue to interact with them. You begin to love and cherish their on-going presence - and eventually lament their absence.

You are alive!

You and your fellow entities compose a reproductive population, in the most passionate of physical interactions; we share our gametes and proliferate new life, new consciousness. We can exponentially increase our existence and presence withing our environment.

You are a massive colony of trillions of individual cells working in great complexity towards a unified purpose of maintaining your physical homeostasis. They support and enable your cosmic perspective. It is unlikely that even a single one of these cells has knowledge of you or volition in it's actions. Yet these individual cells sacrifice and work themselves to dissolution for you. Our own colony of cells support billions of other archea lifeforms in great diversity. We are an intricate ecosystem withing our own physical being.

I know you understand what I'm saying. But do you truly get it?

Our cells, our environment, our homes, our family, our friends, our lovers and our planet -- we are all composed from the same fundamental molecular hydrogen created billions of years ago as a condensation of quark-gluon plasma. these simple hydrogen molecular churned and danced in stars for billions of years. Forged deep within the cores of these ancient stars, the heavier molecules of carbon and iron and silicon were forged. Generations of these stars lived and died for us.

You are alive.

But it won't be that way forever. At least not the way we know it. Make the most of your time, I know I will.

2. What do you find incredible about the existence of any given human?

3. I find our ability to alter the course of the universe, though on a micro scale, to be incredible. I also find our ability to foresee events in the future and plan for them, as well as to envision things that aren't there yet, or aren't real, etc.

4. Yes I do, and I think the majority of people (at least in north american society) don't even think twice about it. It's unfortunate.

5. What's interesting to think about is, what if all we ever knew about science, space, even existence was just completely incredibly false. What if we are ignorant to what may be going on right in front of us. Think about it for a second.

6. What I find interesting about existence is the way we turn the outer 'physical' world into reality through our perceptions then experience it who knows where.

We experience light and color which only truly exists within consciousness, but what is consciousness?

Atoms are made of 99% open space, where is this image that we experience taking place? Our brain is anything but solid, how does something as lifeless as a lump of grey matter process and project the information we experience as reality?

Is consciousness a miracle, or will science someday find it's truest basis?

7. I think about this a lot actually. I think many of things are fascinating. How inanimate becomes animate.

8. that sounds like the intro to a t.v. show about whether consciousness exists outside the brain or not haha :smoke:

9. i really dont see how i am lucky to be a human. if i wasnt i wouldnt be aware and therefore would not exist in a sense. so either you exist or you dont. with the bonus of there being no perception when you dont exist, its almost impossible not to be conscious. im having trouble explaining what i believe, maybe you guys got the jist of it.

10. #10 DBV, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    I think it's amazing how we are all structurily "built" the same way, yet we ALL process this build completely different. We all choose what to accept, what not to accept, and what to do with our life to make us happy. And we all have a mold to happiness that we ourselves create. It's amazing how we are all able to process reality however we ourselves choose.

Also, metallica12: I think about that a lot actually. I place faith in science, but at the same time, I constantly realise that reality appears a LOT different than science tries to tell us, so it is possible.. But if it weren't true, you have to wonder where technology comes from?

11. @op=and people wonder why the ancients used the sun as their symbol for what they thought of as god....
    even from their limited perspective it was obvious to them that without the stars playing their perfect rolls in the universe ...we would not have life....
    these ancient stars,where "forged deep within the cores of " were the beginnings of life.....are still providing us with everything we need for life to continue....
    in oft times obvious ways.....

we have more understanding then they did....
    but they certainly had better vision....

we ignore what we see to be obvious...unless it fits what we want....
    people once lived in harmony with the world around them......because of what the saw in the skys......because of simple evident truths ....which we now continuously ignore....

some how we have allowed our better understanding of how things work....turn into ways to destroy everything around us.....
    our entire way of life is completely built around destroying our minds....our bodies....and our environment.....

people fucking suck:mad:

12. What's incredible about all of us humans, no two humans will have the same exact experience ever in their lives. Sure you might be partaking in the same event as someone else, but what you see and perceive will be a world of difference from whoever is next to you.

Relationships are even more special. Even though you are 'one' with your partner, your partner lived their whole relationship watching, listening, and experiencing you while you lived it out watching, listening, and experiencing them. Even though you shared many moments in the same space and time, your conscious experience of it is totally different; it's beautiful how two beings can enjoy this.

13. Nothing and Everything.

14. The soul connection is an amazing experience indeed.. I mean all of our roads interwine and radiate on different paths, but some intersections are worth crossing. Some cause accidents when we run the red light.. Some turn green and the motor sets to "all systems go". Cheers to dreams with all systems green! :smoke:

15. #15 TesseLated, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    I find the the entire process of reproduction incredible....Another human being was formed in my body and came out...so beautiful!

Humans capacity to love is also amazing...and goes to a whole new level when you have a child.

*lol..thinking about how much I love him made me cry. I would give my life for him without a second thought. Now Im a mess...Thanks! haha..:D

16. Beautiful post Sam, wonderfully worded.

17. Sam_Spade, you posses a brilliant mind.

18. As a musician, I find that our ability to translate our deep feelings through instruments and melody is quite amazing. Same goes for all art. It's also cool how we can engineer with our physical laws (cars, airplanes) for our advantage.

19. I'm guilty of sucking a lot of the time

I think dogs and cats are miraculous...they're like living teddy bears

...and my little lizard...when I teach him he is like Icarus

20. OP, it really is miracle... how all these atoms came together, temporarily, to be YOU :eek:

once u can grasp even a little bit of how EVERY SINGLE cosmic event had to occur precisely in some form as so to give rise to YOU, your heart cant help but to cry with gratitude. just really blows my fucking mind. if just ONE of our ancestors woulda took a wrong step or something and fell in quicksand, i wouldnt be here right now :bongin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLAGYmUQV0]Symphony of Science - 'The Unbroken Thread' (ft. Attenborough, Goodall, Sagan)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g]Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot[/ame]