The millionth thread on flushing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Archie oogllee, Nov 24, 2018.

1. I've been reading old threads on flushing for hours and can't find what I'm looking for. I'm in 7 gallon bags and for what I understand is I need to run 21 gallons of ph'ed water through each plant. Is this 21 gallons at one time, throughout the day or over several days and then water normally till harvest? I flushed my last harvest all at once and did ok but these are a lot bigger plants.

2. You'll find people on both sides of the fence on this.
    From somewhere in the organic soil threads.
    Quote::

Pimp T, on 12 May 2015 - 8:13 PM, said:

hey coot how does the whole "flushing" soil thing apply to the Clackamas coot mix? What are your thoughts on flushing LOS? Should aloe silica coconut water ful power and SST watering stop 2 weeks prior to harvest?

Here's the most recent answer that I gave to this question a couple of weeks ago....

Chlorophyll b is the 'type' found in plants as we're defining it. Other structures are found in algae, cyanobacteria, et al.

Here is the molecular formula - C55H70O6N4Mg so we're looking at 55 Carbon ions, 70 Hydrogen ions, 6 Oxygen ions, 4 Nitrogen ions and 1 Magnesium ion. All 6 forms of chlorophyll have one consistent dynamic, i.e. a single Magnesium ion. Not two, not three - one. So much for the mythology about magnesium-hungry plants or worse in the wacky weed world where specific 'strains' can be magnesium-hungry. Looking at just chlorophyll b a better myth would be carbon-hungry or hydrogen-hungry and maybe even oxygen-hungry and nothing to do with magnesium.

My understanding of this worst example of stoner science is that by dumping copious amounts of water somehow water with it's simple H2O formula is able to reach up from the root zone then into a plant's vascular system and deconstruct a fairly complex molecule - that must be some really unique water indeed!

In a dynamic called translocation plants can and do move materials from leaves to other tissues - that is established botany. Plants produce carbohydrates (sugars) in the leaves by photosynthesis but non-photysynthetic parts of the plant also require carbohydrates and other organic and nonorganic materials. It's for this reason that nutrients are translocated from sources (regions of excess carbohydrates, primarily matures leaves) to what are called sinks.

?Some important sinks are roots, flowers, fruits, stems and developing leaves. Leaves are particularly interesting in the translocation process because they are sinks when they are young and become sources later when they are about half-grown.

Carbohydrates are simply Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen molecules, i.e. simple sugars.

So let's say for sake of silliness that flushing can trigger translocation which must be a real threat for rice plants, where are the chlorophyll molecules going? They can't be destroyed because they're elements which cannot be destroyed or changed unless of course we're talking about cannabis which has special properties that negate almost every law of botany, biology, chemistry, physics imaginable.

My simple question is this: once this special water deconstructs the chlorophyll compound where do the ions go? Into thin air? That would be difficult since Magnesium is a metallic element but again we have to suspend even common sense to shore-up the flushing argument so who knows? Perhaps a special air canopy is created from flushing which can move magnesium around at will.

Even if water could deconstruct and force translocation of elements doesn't that defeat the purpose in the first place which is claimed that flushing will remove the nasties causing us to not have dank! If the mature leaves are the repository the why would you want to move these ions to the buds which you plan on consuming?

It's difficult to write this stuff without falling out of my chair with laughter. The argument fails on every level - even common sense.

Fire away! I'm wearing stainless-steel Fruit of the Loom briefs - I can take it!

CC
    ===========================================
    End quote::

I grow in soil both potted and in-ground and I've never flushed a plant in 45 years of growing Cannabis.
    Clackamas Coot says it's stoner science run amuck and I agree wholeheartedly.

Nobody has ever complained about my smoke lacking flavor or it's ash looking ugly. LMAO.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. What a buzz kill. Makes me think to hard.

4. If you never want to worryabout flushing, you could start a no till grow. Flushing is usually for those that use bottled nutrients because they usually arent organic and are scientifically derived which puts a lot of unneeded salts into the plant. At the end of its growing phase, its a good idea to flush to get rid of these left over saltsbecause it can change the flavor of your plant.

5. Wow, now that's an answer but if someone has never flushed their soil, there is nothing to compare to. I didn't flush my first plant and the ash was black as coal in the beginning but after 4 months of curing, the ash is white and is more potent.

6. I'm going to flush but just 10 gallons each. I just ph'ed 30 gallons and my back is so stiff now I'll have to wait a day to flush.

7. 14 day is what most of us do. White ash from.the beginning. Gets rid of chem taste too. Nectar says molasses is a yield killer.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. I use like 2 to 3 gal on 7 gal fab pots. U still are going to water for 14 days. I do water till runoff after flush day

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's what I plan on doing

10. If you’ve been feeding bottled nutes in soil, you can do the big flush and then a few water only feeds to finish out the flush in a week of so. Or do the two week flush like papa said. In coco, I just drain my res and fill with clean water and drip clean phd to 5.8 and let it run 2 times a day to runoff for a week until harvest. Either way, it’s clear to me that a flush is needed with bottled nutes in any medium.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I've been using all the fox farm nutes and I think my ph in the soil is off. I bought a new ph pen and my old one was way off. They will both calibrate at 6.86 but when testing the water, one says 6.2 and the old one reads 5.5. Apparently I was ph'ing my nutes way too high. I ran 5 gallons each of ph'ed water through them a few days ago and looks like the yellowing hasn't spread anymore. I'm at day 55 so I should only have about 10 to 15 days left. I'm about 150 feet away from them, 3 rooms away, and it smells like the buds are right under my nose.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I plan on giving out some of this as Christmas presents and will only be able to cure for a few days so I'm hoping for a good taste and burn after drying. I'll have a good 10 to 15 days to slow dry

• Like Like x 2
  13. When I started growing with bottled nutes I did the whole flushing thing. It's a waste of time and messy as far as I'm concerned. Just cut off feeding nutrients the last few weeks and use just straight water. Works just the same and doesn't waste water

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'm not doing the 3x the pot size now, just a few gallons to get a clear runoff.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lol ya I wasted my time doing that for years. Kind of funny now that I sit back and think about it

16. I'm flushed my plants a week ago. I have 4 plants in 5gal pots. I used 45 gallons total. I ran all the water through at once (well over the course of 4 hours, not literally all at once). It turned out to be a mistake. I flushed at day 52, and I am on day 60, and my plants definitely need another week at the very least. I hope it won't be a problem harvesting more than 2 weeks after flushing

17. I ran 8 gallons each through them, haven't seen them yet this morning but for some reason the smell is really strong this morning and the lights are out so it's not hot or humid in the grow room.