Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Method of Decarbing

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by jkcole, Jun 1, 2012.

1. I have seen many people asking about decarbing or how to decarb recently, as it is a growing method used in making edibles. Many are still unaware of this process though, and are missing out on how to make potent edibles :eek:. This is also a highly practiced method in the world of cannabis chefs worldwide.

First of all, Decarboxylation is defined as the "Removal of a carboxyl group from a chemical compound." From the words of Badkat and all her wisdom "The process begins

happening, very gradually, the moment you cut a plant down and begin depriving it of

water. The older the bud is, and the drier it gets, the more carbon dioxide and water vapor

is released, and the closer it is to removing the carboxyl group."

That being said, this process is the first step in making your cannabinoids such as thca, cbda, cbna, and all those other 10+ into the more famous thc, cbn, etc... the ones that make us feel good!!!

So by using this method called "decarbing", we are speeding up the aging process to help activation. This is the first step in making a potent edible.

Tools needed for decarbing:
    -metal or glass baking dish
    -tin foil
    -oven

first thing youll want to do is grind your herb up fine. (I recommend the investment in the electric coffee grinders, theyre awesome and always handy.)

spread it out evenly over the pan and cover with your tin foil. Be sure to seal the pan with the tin foil. None of your vapors should escape while heating. double wrapping it is a good idea as well.

place in the oven between 200-210 degrees, depending on how true your oven temp really is. id suggest using an oven thermometer if you dont know.

let it bake for about 15 minutes depending on how fresh your herb was to begin with. when the 20 mins is up, turn your oven off but DO NOT take your pan out. instead crack the door of the oven and let the pan cool inside, allowing vapors inside the pan to settle down and cool.

take the pan out when it is cool enough to do so by bare hand. This shouldnt be much longer than 10 minutes or so.

Your bud is now decarbed and ready to be processed in your oils, tinctures, or whatever the case! :hello:

also, ill edit with pictures next time i can take them when i make my next edibles