The Medicalization Of Marijuana In Israel

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by The Grasscity Post, Sep 25, 2013.

1. [​IMG]
     ​
    Israel has a lot to brag about, including being the nation with the highest ratio of college degrees to the population. The country also publishes more research papers and scientific journals per capita than any other country, making them the leader in cannabis research as well. The ongoing research and usage of medical marijuana is even funded by the Israel government and their Ministry of Health, allowing adequate research materials and resources for the most effective results.

MECHKAR is Israel's medical marijuana distribution center, and operates in the Abarbanel mental hospital, serving 12,000 medical marijuana patients today. The facility is growing and expanding at a very fast rate, with results offering compelling evidence of the medicinal benefits and potential of the plant. During the center's formative years, however, it was a difficult situation.

Boaz Wachtel, a politician who co-founded the Ale Yarok political party in Israel, is dedicated to reforming drug laws in his home country. While working with Howard Lotsof in the United States during the 80's (on the psychoactive substance, ibogaine), Wachtel was inspired by how individuals could bring about change-not only in public opinion, but in policy reform as well. In the early 90's, he began work back home in Israel towards what would become the MECHKAR Center.

In 1995, the Israeli parliament granted a committee to oversee and conduct research on cannabis and its medicinal properties. Heading the committee was Raphael Mechoulam, a professor in medical chemistry who is known for the isolation and synthesis of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. Together with Wachtel, the committee went on to make breakthroughs in cannabis research, despite the limited and dire circumstances in the beginning: for the first few months, they were given a very small room with no air-conditioning to do their work. The government also did not give financial support at first, so the committee had to think up ways to get the ball rolling on their own. Initially, they considered cooperation with the local police, asking for confiscated marijuana to be used for their research. But the cops were hesitant about giving drugs to sick people, and didn't want to have that kind of responsibility looming over them. After much deliberation, meetings, and brainstorming options, the committee decided that their best option would be for patients to grow their own cannabis.

Simultaneously the committee was making efforts to educate and inform the medical community as well as the public about cannabis, by conducting conferences and media outreach programs. Dr. Yehuda Baruch, head of the Abarbanel hospital, would eventually assume the role of running the then-newly formed Medical Cannabis Initiative Program.

In 2007, after nearly a decade, the first licensed patient was allowed to grow 50 plants. The Ministry of Health soon decided it was only fair for other people to be able to do the same thing, and so 18 growers were issued the same license in the first wave. From 2008 to 2009, MECHKAR was serving 1,800 patients. At first, growers would give out the medicine for free, but this soon showed to be unsustainable. The medical marijuana industry generates an annual income of $40 million per year, and in Israel the fee is $100 a month, regardless of the amount a patient needs.

Unlike the U.S.A., Israel does not have the same kind of pot culture-the stoner stereotype is not prevalent, and the majority of the public actually fears the “high” that medical marijuana could induce, worrying about hallucinating and behavioral changes. Because of this cultural difference, it is no surprise that there are not a lot of recreational pot users in Israel as one might think, even if hash has been a part of their history since ancient times. Mimi Paleg who heads and directs the MECHKAR, is responsible for teaching patients how to take in their medical marijuana. She finds them the right kind of strain, educates them on the properties of cannabis, and helps them through the procedure, whether its sublingual candy drops, baked edible goods, or traditional combusting/smoking. In America, where states have legalized medical marijuana, many patients come in for mild ailments such as nausea, insomnia, anxiety, or even occasional migraines. In Israel, marijuana is used as a last-resort remedy, and is often only prescribed to patients near the end of their lives or with serious conditions such as HIV/AIDS and cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

For PTSD patients and people with other mental-related health problems, it is harder to get a hold of medical marijuana. This is because mental illnesses are not taken as seriously in Israel as it is in say, the U.S.A. They have a culture that is less tolerant of people who claim they need professional help for their depression, anxiety, and other disorders. For these patients, they must work closely with a doctor for a whole year, and only when all other possible medications fail can they avail of a medical marijuana license. The fact that MECHKAR is situated in a mental health facility allows for the public to be more accepting and understanding towards mental health issues.

The government suggested importing marijuana from the Netherlands as it was more convenient, but Pegel, Wachtel, and those working in MECHKAR went against it in protest. They pressed that importation could cause other issues, one being the possibility of medical marijuana becoming a drug for the elite. In the end, the government listened and Israel continues to grow its own herb. Today, there are eight farms supplying 12,000 patients (and growing) in Israel, distributed by MECHKAR. Because stoner culture isn't as prevalent in Israel, the social stigma surrounding medical marijuana is not very daunting-marijuana is seen and treated purely as is, which is a medicine.

2. Thanks for the update.As a patient in the Israeli medical cannabis system I would like to comment.In the beginning of the program they were starting patients with 50 grams and going up from there. Unfortunately, the guidelines were abused and they tightened the rules to make it VERY hard to get medical cannabis.Now patients are started with 20 grams and increases are hard to get. I have been getting medical cannabis for a year now and I can state that the system frequently does not have the strain you want. During the past year hardly a month went by that I went to the dispensary and was able to walk out with what I had gone in for. What I mean is you walk in with the intention of getting the stuff you had a month or two ago and they do not have that strain. There were times when I had to accept strains that we're not preferred for my symptoms.I understand that the system is hard to control. Weed here in Israel costs about $30-40 per Gram? I understand the patient who has high out of pocket costs and excess cannabis being attracted to selling some. Really, what are they going to do to a cancer patient who may or may not survive to trial and can not be detained due to their conditions. However, the above paragraph does not justify how difficult it can be for non-cancer patients to obtain adequate amounts.The pendulum has swung too far and too fast. Hopefully, the Ministry of Health will realize this and help patients get the medical care they need.

3. Sickmanfraud, $30 a gram is OUTRAGEOUS! :eek:   I'm in California and I grow my own. My closet set up is small, but provides enough cannabis for my hubby and myself, for about $35 to 40 per month!  Medical users should have the option to grow their own. as well as getting it from the government!

Everyone says California's medical marijuana system is insane, that it's just too easy to get legal. However, having read hundreds of medical studies on the cannabinoids, I think that not only is California "sane", but the most of the world is totally mad on this issue! Cannabis is an effective herbal medicine that has a perfect record of ZERO on overdose fatalities!  Common aspirin and Tylenol are far more deadly drugs.   Exactly why must cannabis be so tightly regulated and restricted? :confused_2:  No other herbal medicine is treated like cannabis.

I would like to share my "argument for legalization" with you- my "Granny Storm Crow's List". I send it as an email to everyone who asks. You can either email me (bottom of my sig), or you can send me a PM with your email address.  It seldom hurts to have a few medical studies, and quotes from them, to back you up in your letters to the Ministry of Health!

As an example, one could argue for easier access to cannabis as an anti-Alzheimer's drug for still healthy seniors with this study-

A Molecular Link between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology      (full - 2006)        http://www.ukcia.org/research/AlzheimersDiseasePathology.pdf     (FYI- donepezil and tacrine = Aricept and Cognex; A = amyloid plaque, the stuff that gums up your brain in Alzheimer's)

“It is noteworthy that THC is a considerably more effective inhibitor of AChE-induced A‚ deposition than the approved drugs for Alzheimer's disease treatment, donepezil and tacrine, which reduced A‚ aggregation by only 22% and 7%,respectively, at twice the concentration used in our studies .Therefore, AChE inhibitors such as THC and its analogues may provide an improved therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease, augmenting acetylcholine levels by preventing neurotransmitter degradation and reducing A‚ aggregation,
    thereby simultaneously treating both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease.”

And then CBD (cannabidiol) also does it's part-

Israeli Research Shows Cannabidiol May Slow Alzheimer's Disease      (news - 2008)
    http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/125564

So the two working together should be highly effective at slowing Alzheimer's! And where do we find both of these "wonder drugs"?  :smoke: 

I find it hard to find a logical reason why seniors, and people with risk factors for Alzheimer's, should not have freer access to cannabis!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Granny