The Media and You

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Insurgency, Nov 30, 2010.

1. How influential is the media?

Who is actually sane of mind?

What are the shackles that constrict us?

A quote for some to chew, "Homer has taught all other poets the art of telling lies skillfully."

We must work together to become free.

2. fat blunts, yo?

3. answers in bold

4. very influential... i have a tv in almost every room in my house. IT SUCKS. every where i turn i am reminded of some teenage popstar's pregnacy scare... or some other BS that should mean nothing to people but for some reason they get so wrapped up in foolish little arguements... it is so frustrating to watch.

the people in control. the people who actually know what is going on.

as well as the enlightened.:p

our minds. we allow ourselves to get swept away by the little stories the glowing box spoon feeds us... it is entertaining to a degree. until you realize your just watching a puppet show and the puppet master is lulling you into submission....

5. too influential, MUCH too influential. disgustingly so. even if you are aware of the problem its presence take up every free space it can claim as its own, and it still influences you.

every ad telling you that what you have is not enough, that where you are is lower than where you should be, and that they can provide both the answer and question. its almost like a religion where it constructs a perfect world where problems are solved by material things and lessons that every school child knows but never follows (only when its beneficial), and invites you to take part - if things go wrong its not your fault, why should you take any blame? "i was just following orders" hope is given in 2 for 1 tuesdays and excitement from getting a new toy to jack off your ego with. - and thats just tv

/emotional rant

6. #6 Insurgency, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010

What is the criteria used to determine a swayed/simple mind?

Are you sure about that? I feel extremely sane. Then again . . . my ideologies could have been influenced by some time of media. Aren't we all insane?

Democracy's media shatters any chance of being sane.

Great point kannabis. May I ask, how do we actually know that these people know what is going on? The amount of media is relative to the type of Constitution, which there are many different types. Which then, actually knows what is going on?

Not a problem my friend, at least you are aware. A rant is always welcome.

Welcome to America my friend, the land of opportunity, and disunity.

7. answers not in bold but i think you can find them:D

8. Good question, I guess its a wash... Life is so trivial these days...

9. What is the cut off point for material goods advertised in the media? Can I still participate in this supply and demand economy without being swayed in mind? Or does possession of any high valued goods make someone under the influence of the system?

-fby

10. I have no idea man, just stay true to yourself in everything you do and you'll be under the influence of noone but yourself:smoke:

11. How influential is the media?
    very, to the puppets of america.
    Who is actually sane of mind?
    what?
    What are the shackles that constrict us?
    fear?
    A quote for some to chew, "Homer has taught all other poets the art of telling lies skillfully."

We must work together to become free

12. There are many different groups created by the media. We have the Jersey Shore Fans, the Jackass Fans, CNN, Fox. These types of media attract followers, but each have their own style and opinions.

From all the media influences affecting our minds, how do we know which ones are sane and which ones are under some type of influence?

13. and i'm prooud to be an americaan where at least i know i'm freee :rolleyes:

good questions, can't even imagine how one would do that. word of mouth? it's everything these days, literally everything.
    a trip out in nature now to the average person is surrounded by products, ez fire starter, spongebob sleeping bag for the kids, take the subaru outback, get hersheys chocolate for smores, energizer batteries for the flashlights from walmart.
    I'm not sure it's possible to create anything outside of it, maybe it's because I was raised surrounded by the media that I can't. thats a horrible thought. very possible it's true though.

maybe the internet holds the last part of the world (in this "civilized" world at least) where the media does not have a strong hold, well it used to be anyways. i can see that tide turning. but think of it like this, programs such as firefox or ccleaner, games like minecraft, comic strips are all passed through word of mouth (at the beginning of their releases anyhow), through forums emails and the like. without anyone saying you are less if you dont have this, just a "check this out, try it and if you like it keep on going to that site"
    things such as facebook and twitter are combating that though, so maybe the internet was the last frontier.

these are all mostly information though, nothing material. I guess, from what I can see atm, anything material is related somehow to the media.

14. The media is so influencial- you have to fight it to not be influenced by it. No matter what, we are all influenced in some way by the media. The media tells us what we should look like, what car we should drive, what the ideal life is. No matter how much we try to escape from these things, they follow us around, maybe in the tiniest way bearly noticable to a huge noticable way.

Who is sane? We are all sane, unless you are suffering from a mental illness. Though for the most part, everyone is a sheep. They follow others, have the same ideals as their friends, etc. The people who are the most sane are the people who think for themselves, the people who question things, the people who break from this mold that the world and the media have created.

15. #15 CommonSense, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
    Yet if we are sheep, we are following. If you follow just to follow then you're no greater than the sheep, but you do receive the benefit of protection from wolves. But we are humans, some don't like to be controlled. But does that makes us insane not wanting to follow the rest of the sheep? We lost our protection.

-fatbluntsyo