The Media And Serial Killers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hoboleader, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Well guys most of us probably heard about the shooter at the oregon mall.
    Anyway I just hopped on google news to see if there were any headlines I might click on for a read. And well, I found it a bit strange that right after this oregon mall thing happens all the top stories under U.S are about murderer's.

heres a screencap, i pasted together the top headline of the oregon mall which will be on the bottom, with the headlines under US. Ive heard stuff before that the media plays a roll in copy cat killers, and i found it weird that as soon as this happens the news if full of murderers. While a day ago there would be nothing of the sort.
    -----------------------
    -----------------------
    [​IMG]

--------------
    --------------

anyway just thought it was a strange coincidence. Have a good week all.

2. theres another 3-4 different headlines with the same theme ive seen go by as well.

3. well anyway guys it probably has to do with the "tags" of news searches, but still I dont know if its healthy to put up 20 different murderer's as headline news the day theres a massacre.

4. Wtf does that quote even mean?

"What I lived in 2 years in afghanistan, I could not have lived in a hundred years elsewhere."

5. It means he saw more in 2 years in Afghanistan than he would see in 100 years somewhere else. Probably talking about violence and bloodshed.

6. Ahh okay that makes sense. I was looking at it the other way. Confused the shit out of me. A hundred years anywhere else wouldnt equate to the bullshit he went through there.

Mexico sounds close.

7. This reminds me of something I read recently:

How the Internet Reinforces Confirmation Bias « A Thinking Person, a.k.a. Cogit8R

It is amazing how in the last 4-5 years of the internet, we all now seem to live in our own little "bubble" of information, based on what we search for, shop for, etc.

8. #9 Arteezy, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
    Obviously confirmation bias is something to be avoided, but filtering information on the internet is absolutely necessary to effectively acquire knowledge & facts from it.

EDIT:
    Watching the video now... I can easily find information from lots of point of views and I definitely decide what sites I visit, what I read, etc. Google (or facebook) is not deciding what news articles I read... There are dozens of alternative search engines (read: duckduckgo), there are RSS feeds, you can peruse sites manually :)eek:), there are news aggregators (see: reddit, slashdot), etc.

I agree on his main point that sites like Google and Facebook should make their filtering mechanisms more apparent and allow for users to customize it the way their respective users want. Now, they're not obligated to do this, but I think it would make for a better user experience. I know that facebook already does this to some degree. You can choose which people show up on your feed or at the top of your feed (or don't show up).

9. #10 Raoul Duke II, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
    The internet filters aside, it is actually very commonplace for media to focus on serial killers. That's almost all they do. Every station it seems has its own cop show now, and the big ones are obsessed with serial killers and rapists. Don't mean to sound like I'm wearing a tin foil hat or anything but its almost indisputable that the sheer number of serial killer themed television shows are a form of propaganda.

Our police force is ever growing and steadily more militant. Most shows, especially serial killer ones, go out of their way to make personal liberties look bad. The killer gets off because of his right to remain silent and the cops moan and groan about it for 10 minutes and how much easier their job would be without so many regulations. They make it seem like there's so many serial killers out there, no one's safe and the police actually spend the majority of their time going after these very, very bad guys, only to be thwarted by the citizenry's personal liberties.

IMHO, it is a concerted effort to make the general populace comfortable with an overstretching police force and giving up their rights. "You don't have anything to worry about, we only need to limit 4th and 5th amendment rights because the nasty serial killers. You don't have anything to worry about if you have nothing to hide."

• Like Like x 1
  10. i believe this thread just became relevant since i hinted at another shooting happening.

11. in before garrison calls you insensitive.

12. Just find it strange that this type of stuff always happens in bursts.

13. yeah.. it does seem that way man.

people are so fucked up.. i just don't get how anyone copuld physically harm another person like that... i cringe when i see it happen in a movie.. but IRL.. that's crazy.

14. #15 hoboleader, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
    a message from morgan freeman
    Surprising message from Morgan Freeman. He blames the media for CT shooting. | Peace . Gold . Liberty

is it just me or does everything morgan freeman say sound likes hes narrating?

15. I totally read that in my head with Morgan Freeman's voice.

He's right though. Maybe the media should follow have a policy of not using these shooters' names or images.

16. Pretty sure that Morgan Freeman quote is fake

17. link please.

18. Whoever said it is my hero of the week.

So much truth in so few words.