The Meaning Of Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Skunky Monkey, Oct 1, 2011.

1. So i was high talking to a friend and i said "would we die if we had no concept of death"

He said yeh, and i then said "but we all instinctivly know that if we do this then we will die, even animals know this"

He said "so what your saying is if there was no concept of death we wouldn't die?" i said "maybe the meaning of life is to forget death, and it wont happen"

What's your thoughts on this, i was pretty high as you can see :smoking:

2. #2 GrassCtyCitizen, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
    Here it's sounds like you may be getting on to the idea of buddhist enlightenment. Very vaguely, but nonetheless.

Once enlightened the soul finally halts it's cycle of reincarnation to live in peace and harmony among all other things. Once this happens your soul is never again born into a living form and will therefore never "die" again.

3. i think your better of getting a robotic heart and liver

4. Or maybe the meaning of life is to die?

5. You'd probably still die of old age - but even that may be open to change if your realisation is deep enough.

6. I'd say the meaning of life, in this context, would be to learn to accept death and let it go, rather than have no concept of it entirely.

Living life without fear of death makes a lot more sense.

7. Babies have no concept of death but they still seem to die

8. Ahh but that's where your wrong..it's instinctive isn't it, well my point kinda was that if it wasn't instinctive at all, then would we still die ?

I guess you could say, well plants still die and there living, i think everything has a life cycle and is recycled in some way..either to fertalize the soil so more life can grow (plants)

Oh and i'm an atheists so i don't believe in heaven :p

9. Knowledge about death is not instinctive, it's learned by all creatures.

10. I'm not even sure how to approach this, you'll still die.

11. It's not exactly something i believe, just a funny high though, yes i think you would still die to :D

Like imagine jumping of a roof and physically not being injured, it's impossible

12. i believe in the afterlife... i visited it for about a minute or two, had a conversation, got a glimpse into the future... it's NOTHING like this existence. i think that humans and ESPECIALLY animals can get indirect glimpses of it, but even when you're there, you get more questions than answers, at least at the start of your journey.

with that out of the way, the BEST meaning of life i could ever come up with was:

13. What if, in order to make what you believe is the most of your life, you end up stepping on someone's toes, unintentionally?

14. what if we were never born nor will ever die?

we just were and we just are

15. Dude...wait...what :smoking: That's awesome man, just trying to understand man :smoking:

16. accidents happen. intent is supposed to be implied in my definition. i've always associated that slang term with deliberate actions that one is warned against. if it were taken literally, then there'd be a whole lot less slow dancing and women love that.

17. #17 iamsomebody1, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
    Like others have said, you will still die. The meaning of life is whatever you want it to be. After we are dead and gone nothing about our time here will matter in the abstract of time. This depresses some people for some reason. But, it actually lifts me up and makes me live my life to the fullest because I know this is my only chance to live, feel emotions, and interact with other fellow human beings as we all experience this crazy thing we call life together.

18. when you die, you can travel through time yo!