The Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by A AnoesisOrange, Nov 9, 2013.

1. #1 A AnoesisOrange, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QJvc_SxFQ

Thoughts?

2. #2 esseff, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
    Monty Python were always ahead of their time.

I have enough hats.

3. I think if someone wants to wear a hat they should be allowed to, people should be able to express themselvesves

4. "Hats optional"-George Carlin

5. #5 sephiroth88, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    This is great thanks gives me something to contemplate :) If only the real world was like this, organizations pursuing spiritual clarity rather than greed.

6. 42.

Sent from my iPad

1+ month THC free, longest month of my life. x_x

7. People understand what's really going on, but we have a tendency to be conflictive and distracted.

What do you mean people understand what's really going on?? Please explain then... what's going on???

9. Enlightenment. It isn't just some imaginative concept that litters various spiritual traditions. There is one objective truth, and through the proper means one may comprehend it. One must understand the self in all its entirety.

It is not my place to speak of a truth that lies beneath the functioning of reality, I can only attempt to guide others to the truth or rather display my own experience and hope people see its significance in proportion to the menial conceptions and distractions of what many call life.

Remove the sheath of ignorance and you may then perceive the heart of existence.

10. #10 -Martyr, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Yea I think it's very naive to say that the majority of people aren't aware of what's going on. I think plenty of people are. Don't get me wrong, it's always the minority that's exceptional, but a lot of people are aware that their lives are subject to a certain amount of everyday minutiae that they're no longer willing to fight off. With age comes complacency, and not everyone has that young 20-something mindset with a pair of fresh eyes and legs ready to take on the world. The average every day person is simply trying to get by. There's a substantial difference between surviving and thriving, but debating which is better or more doable is always subjective. People do the best they can with what they have at their exposure. Could they do more? Sure. But what is "more" to a single mom who has put her kids through school? What is "more" to someone who has worked tirelessly since they were a teenager, and they have no energy to even enjoy their rewards? Rather than pity, we should try to understand the contents of each individual story rather than base our synopsis off of trivial excerpts.

To some, enlightenment and personal development is everything; to others it is just something to make time for with whatever amount of uncertain, intangible time they can hypothetically muster.

11. You've said a meaningful thing. Few people dwell deeply upon the meaning of what they do, for meaning is an endless chain that always leads to a deeper meaning. Many people complacently choose reasonable goals that make sense in their reality, understanding that all paths have considerable obstacles yet few are contemplative of an ultimate goal.

Many are pulled along into the current of life, and simply attempt to survive. It is the few with the capacity to thrive that must lead the way for the others who have not the means. The one who thrives is given an opportunity to see that the gains are meaningless.

Meaning can be given to that which you believe deserves meaning. Once you remove the part of you that believes in anything deserving anything, then meaning is truly found.

12. Beautifully put!

13. I'm not sure if I quite get this, do you mean that nothing is deserving of anything, it just is what it is?

14. It's not about what something is or is not.

If there truly is a meaning, you must rest assured that fallible, subjective human perspective has little hope of finding it. One must remove the self from illusory subjective conception and open ones self to the ultimate reality.

This is enlightenment. Not an easy task, but a great thing to aspire too.

15. And opening up ones self to the ultimate reality is helped by not attaching yourself to your beliefs too much and the truth will reveal itself to you?

16. You got it~ :)

17. What do you think would be factors in people not opening themselves up to the ultimate reality?

18. ^ Ignorance and fear.

19. #20 A AnoesisOrange, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    I've always thought comedy was an interesting medium to express this kind of sentiment.

What is the message without the medium anyway? What does removing the conduit for experience imply about the message?