The Mayans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LSYouTiger, Aug 16, 2012.

1. #1 LSYouTiger, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    I know there is a bunch of talk about the Mayan calendar shot and what not since we are fast approaching the day that ends the 13th cycle of their calendar.
    But how can we know it's not for real. It is known the people native to the Americas have been there for thousands of years. I'm sure they k ow what happens around these parts. They lived there for thousands of years and I'm sure they learned the cycles and were able to tell that some hit was going down in the time period we living in currently.

Nostradamus had his books that he used to write things that predicted the future. On the history channel they would talk about the increase in temperature along the 44th parallel, which is the latitude of the grain belt which is the Midwest where the most crops are grown. We had temperature steady over 100 there. He talked about the lands burning and the west is literally on fire right now, 43,000 wildfires have been reported this year. West Nile just fucking broke out. The Mighty Mississippi can't hold commercial ships for much longer because it is way to low. So low that bumps at evening made south of new Orleans which is keeping the salt water from traveling up and contaminating the fresh water in New Orleans. A small town more south already has saltwater intrusion in their freshwater so they have to get bottled water until the rains come back to the Midwest.

All of this seems to have come from no where. We were expecting record breaking harvests for this year, but the rain just never came and the heat wave broke over 3000 temperature records.

2. Something is going to happen OP... I hope you are ready! Say safe! :smoke:

3. >Pandora's box

This is a place for politics, PB is a place for this kind of crap.

4. If anything happens, it won't be down to any Mayan prophecy.

Because Leap Years were introduced by Julius Caesar after the Mayan Calender was created, we're technically already into 2013 (if we remove every leap year since 45BC) and have already passed the supposed doomsday.

I hope that helps. Peace.

5. I'll make it political:

The US gave banks huge mountains of cash. And we have a poor economy. And a possibility of food shortage depending how long this drought last. You think the government will use the banks to control the population trough this period of drought. They have our food and our money.

6. [quote name='"The-Doctor"']If anything happens, it won't be down to any Mayan prophecy.

Because Leap Years were introduced by Julius Caesar after the Mayan Calender was created, we're technically already into 2013 (if we remove every leap year since 45BC) and have already passed the supposed doomsday.

I hope that helps. Peace.[/quote]

for real?

7. Yeah. What's that got to do with the Mayans?

There'll be a bit of self fulfilling prophecy form idiots either looting or selling their homes and other ridiculous shit before the date in question but other than that the event will pass with little more than a shit ton of psytrance raves.

8. i was going to make this point if it hadn't already been made. thank you. haha.

9. Well, it's what I heard and it makes sense, doesn't it?

I'm not going to do an amazing amount of research into it, because frankly I think the whole theory is rubbish. I'm sure there are people out there who'll contest it.

Peace.

10. I believe this is true. Too drunk to research right now.

11. I believe shit's gonna happen. The world might not end, but something is gonna happen.

12. The Mayan prophesy wasn't about end of the world. The Mayan calendar is like a 144,000 year calendar. It is divided into 13 sequences that repeat over and over again. We'd ember 21, 2012 just so happens to be the date the 13th cycle ends. People though that meant everything ends, but it doesn't, we simply restart at cycle 1. It is also known that December 21 is a date, or close to a specific time, when the earth, sun, and black hole of the center of our galaxy all align. No one knows what that will do. The gravity from the sun and black hole could possibly change the rotation of the earth around the sun slightly. We are talking about 3 objects with an unimaginable amount of mass so maybe the earth, which is millions and billions of times smaller than the sun and black hole, might change its course of or it a few hundred miles or more, which may affect season and weather patterns.

13. Wrong. The Mayan calender is based on our Suns position in the Milky Way galaxy, so leap year doesn't change the alignment of the sun.

14. Yes that is true, but....

I think its funny that people think the world is going to end....this is just a repeat of Y2K...

People are worried about global warming and whatever sort of modern global issues(pick one) and they need an avatar for those fears.

15. Ah, I stand corrected in that case.
    :smoke:

16. Anything is possible, but not even the Mayans themselves believe the world is going to end.

17. Polar shift I believe it is called. There is evidence that the North and South Pole were once located in different regions of the world then they currently are. That would certainly be a fucked up event for current civilization.

Personally I think its going to be a whole lot like Y2K and shit isn't going to happen. And if the world is going to come to an end then fuck it. Nothing I can do to stop it, so why worry?

18. I'm skeptical to say the least...but i am going to use this as an excuse to throw a big ass party....end of the world party haha.

19. The Mayans sure didn't see the Spanish coming!

20. I spent some time in Guatemala last year with some local Mayan professors and historians, and that is what they plan in doing :)