The Mars Science Laboratory Thread (Curiosity Rover)-Landed! - Updated daily w/pics

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Senior PoopiePants, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Holy shit. I may need to go change my pants.

2. All these pictures are amazing, that mast camera is going to produce some incredible shit.

3. [quote name='"iMPREPREX"']

It's going to get way better than this, my friend. This is NOTHING. They have a microscope on it, a chemcam, a laser that can vaporize rocks and a spectrometer that will interpret the vaporization.

Cool shit. Wait until we see 720p HD VIDEO.[/quote]

war of the worlds man..

4. Man thank you for uploading the pictures i dont post a lost here but im always watching your post. Please keep uploading pictures because i dont know were i can find them. Thank you!

5. Awesome thread, keep the pics coming! I wanna be able to taste mars by the time this thread dies.

6. #107 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    People need to stop spreading disinformation.

That video was filled by MARDI - the camera from the ship itself as it dropped off the rover. That was NOT from the rover.

As Mark Twain said - "Get your facts straight first, then feel free to distort them".

The MAST cam is where the HD pics and video will be coming from, and the MAST cam was JUST activated earlier.

You need to do some more research on this because you're spreading shit that you don't know what you're talking about.

Now, should I expect an angry post in return because I set the record straight?

Dude, your post in the other thread even says this shit!

Mars DESCENT IMAGER is MARDI.

7. That's the plan for this thread. Every time I find something I will post it here - every day.

And beware of people like Deadkennedys who posts shit that he knows nothing about - therefore spreading misinformation.

I will correct him every time.

8. And thanks, everyone. I was wondering where y'all were at! Feel free to go to the NASA/JPL websites and find some shit on your own as well! That's what makes this compiling so fun!

And check out where the rover landed in Google Mars. Mount Sharp is something...

9. Here are some color pictures from Curiosity. Still low resolution, but TRUE COLOR. There's Mount Sharp:

[​IMG]

Blast marks from the propulsion (from the Overhead Crane) that dropped the rover off.

More blast marks:

[​IMG]

This site has all of the picture of ALL of the rovers. Don't spend too much time there, now!

Images of Mars and All Available Satellites

10. Looks like there's bedrock under those blast marks... Can it be??? :eek:

11. i really hope some day Mars will be terraformed, and i hope even more that i will be alive to see it.

this shit is too damn cool.

i cant help but dream of being among the first to farm on mars. that would be damn cool.

12. That would be awesome, but I don't think they have any plans to terraform Mars any time soon. :(

But there will be manned missions. I would give my dick to go there and stay there to study. For the rest of my life (one way ticket).

13. #114 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    Ohhhh - here's another photo of those mountains behind Mount Sharp.

Well, they're not mountains - it's actually the rim of the Gale Crater.

You guys should go to Google Mars and check out the surrounding terrain! Those "mountains" are over 10,000 feet high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The number on the left is how many successful missions we have executed.

The number on the right is how many failed missions there were.

That's why we're so excited about this rover and why the following video was so exciting to watch live!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhUbu2GTIv8[/ame]

^^^ I had two different NASA feeds on my screens and the "Eyes of the Solar System" telemetry program running. It was so fucking exciting. It's like I was right there.

"Eyes of the Solar System" still works. You can re-visit the landing. It was/is CGI being fed the telemetry from the rovers and the ship.

http://eyes.nasa.gov/index.html

This is the same program mission control had running.

14. Props to you my man. It's good to see a fellow stoner that is as stoked about the Mars missions of the past decade as I am.

Question. Were you at all underwhelmed by Phoenix? I kept up with the news almost daily and other than the Goldilocks trench it wasn't all that fascinating. Also, mind posting some of the equipment MSL has? The oven on Phoenix was something else.

15. #116 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 10, 2012

I didn't get into the Phoenix Lander because I was about 17 and having a lot of fun doing other things. But I WAS into this shit from when I was 6 to about 12. There was no internet then, so I wasn't kept up to date.

Over the past 3 years, I have had nothing but time to use the internet to find out what's happened. When I saw that close-up of Neptune, I was like, "SHIT!" - what else did I miss?

Then I got into the Spirit and Opportunity rovers but I wasn't focused on the mission, because I just didn't know what they were exactly there for. But I loved the pictures.

Then I found out about the older Venera probe that landed on Venus and took an image of the surface.

But what REALLY blew me away was the fucking Cassini-Huygens mission! The images of Saturn - the lanindg on TITAN! I couldn't fucking believe we landed on a moon that has an atmosphere and liquid lakes of hydrocarbons - and got pictures!

Then Europa, Gannymeade (of Jupiter) - I was overwhelmed by the new info (to me) but I ate it up and still am. I can't wait to see images of Pluto from New Horizons. That's due there in 2015.

Also, the Hubble has blown my mind. I never knew. Thank you internet!

The Wikipedia article explains what MSL has:

Mars Science Laboratory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The article also explains about the computer and how we're using Plutonium 238-dioxide. It gives off heat and the rover utilizes it. Plus it lasts a decent amount of time and blows away solar panels.

16. #117 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 10, 2012

And going over this post again - do you have reading comprehension problems? 800 bits? Where the FUCK are you getting your info?

The rover sends data to the orbiting satellite Odyssey.

32 KiloBITS per second is about 4 KiloBYTES a second. Not horrible for sending directly from the rover to Earth.

2 MegaBITS per second is about 250 KILOBYTES per second and 256 KiloBITS per second is about 32 KiloBYTES per second.

So the Rover can send 4 KB a sec directly to Earth. The Rover can send data to the orbiters at 250K per second, and the orbiters can send the date directly to Earth at 32 KB per second.

The only problem is the 8 minute window.

If I catch you pulling this shit again, I will indeed report your posts, because not only is that trolling, but it's leading people the wrong way and possibly away from science/and or this mission. That's a big strike in my book. Fucking either stop trolling, or if you're not (I hope for your sake you are), then READ! LEARN! You are making yourself look very stupid, just to let you know.

"lol" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. This thread is awsome. Thanks for keeping it updated.

18. Damn, guys - just speculation, but there are no new pictures and the part of the site with the images is down.

And Sol 3 (4th day on Mars) should have been in yesterday.

So now we're due for Sol 4, and the site is down and the media is recycling images from Sol 2. FUCK!

Shit I hope this rover didn't fuck up!

Come back, Curiosity!