The Mars Science Laboratory Thread (Curiosity Rover)-Landed! - Updated daily w/pics

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Senior PoopiePants, Aug 3, 2012.

1. See, even if most people don't care - especially about the last post, I still post it the way it is (this thread, the pics, etc) so *I* have something to look at. That post looks fucking nice, man!

I'll keep updating this thread as they come in and we'll see the progression of the images.

2. awesome pics.

it's sad how the Olympics are probably more popular than curiosity landing on mars.

3. It is. I can see how the Olympics are special, but it/they definitely have nothing on space travel and Curiosity, even.

Great - a bunch of people competing to see who is the best - all while representing a country.

A machine lands on another planet with enough technology to get to the bottom of things, but it only has 15 minutes of fame and now it's barely on the news.

Luckily some sites are publishing articles every time new shit comes in.

Edit - the first two picture are only hours old as of this post!

4. Oh, this is bad ass! I went into Google Earth and switched to Mars, found the Gale crater and Curiosity and I looked up the directions they were facing when the rovers took the images. I lined it up as best as I could. That's fucking aweseom! Mount Sharp and Mount Sharp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And facing in the other direction:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Subbed.

Good thread man!

6. i am loving these pictures. so amazing to see up close pictures of another planet.

and google earth is doing mars? it should be google mars.

still want to see Mars One happen even more though.

7. Google Earth always had Mars. It also has the Moon.

Just click the icon that shows the planets and choose. You can even use the flight simulator in Mars.

Sometimes I'll be really bored and I'll fly over Valles Marinares or try to fly over Olympus Mons (75,000 feet high), but the highest an F-16 can fly is like 65,000 feet or so. I always end up crashing into Olympus Mons.

And that's all assuming Earth-pressure and gravity.

8. Awesome pictures. I look forward to seeing future ones.

I wouldn't mind seeing the nighttime sky on Mars. I have no idea what it would look like... but it might be cool.

9. #89 Carl Weathers, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    Anyone else find it creepy that the likes of NASA scientists have to wear a uniform polo like postmen?

Awesome photos, I'll be coming here to tune in on the Curiosity.

10. Can't wait till the hd pics become available. Truly amazing

11. #91 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    More high resolution images from Sol 2 (3rd day on Mars - starting at Sol 0):

Look at those mountains again:

[​IMG]

The rover itself - nice job on NOT getting a lot of dust on it. Note the small pebbles. I find this picture so cool for some reason:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are only from the NAV cams.

Way more to come. I'll keep y'all updated by the day. Can't wait for the color images and the panoramics.

Well, there IS a panoramic out now, but it's still not processed:

[​IMG]

I posted that incomplete panorama to explain something. When the finished panoramas come in, they will be stitched together because that's just how it's done. A camera can only take an image of a certain area at once (field of view). The rover then clicks pictures as the camera spins. The images are then stitched together, so when you see that, that's what those lines are and why the image doesn't line up all of the time.

We'll compare this panoramic with the complete one, and the color one when it comes out.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

12. [​IMG]

The bright one is Phobos, the dimmer one on the left (about 10:00) is Deimos - both moons of Mars.

Here's Earth from Mars:

[​IMG]

The last two were taken by the Spirit Rover.

And a martian sunset you say?

[​IMG]

(Takes a mothafuckin' bow!)

Curtsey!

13. This is sick

14. This is bonerific! Now think about boners and look at my avatar!

15. Ahah! I knew it was you, August West! I saw Abduyah and was like, "WTF?" Then I wondered where August West went. Now it all makes sense.

And I never knew you were a mod. Is that new? Sorry for my ignorance.

16. #96 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    Lonely forum! That's sad. Here's another for those interested:

It's of the rover. Looks like the MAST cam is starting its tests to be utilized!

[​IMG]

Jeezies feces, that image is huge! Well, that's a good thing.

I don't know what that black box is towards the bottom left (probably missing data), but I'm sure it will be filled in soon once they acquire it (that data).

And this IS from the MAST cam, so it's operating! Brand spanking-new panorama:

[​IMG]

17. It's official that the high-quality MAST (panoramic) cam is up! :hello:
    Here we go!

18. Damn this stuff is so sick!

19. It's going to get way better than this, my friend. This is NOTHING. They have a microscope on it, a chemcam, a laser that can vaporize rocks and a spectrometer that will interpret the vaporization.

Cool shit. Wait until we see 720p HD VIDEO.

20. [quote name='"iMPREPREX"']

It's going to get way better than this, my friend. This is NOTHING. They have a microscope on it, a chemcam, a laser that can vaporize rocks and a spectrometer that will interpret the vaporization.

Cool shit. Wait until we see 720p HD VIDEO.[/quote]

Looking forward to it. Getting ripped and watching some hd mars videos would be intense