Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The marijuana law of Michigan is flawed.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by peanutbutter, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Michigan CSA defines exactly what a "marihuana" plant is:

Before a cutting has been taken it is part of the mother plant. After it is cut, it is a plant by itself.

A clone of a clone seems to be legal.

2. Lol why do they call it "marihuana" instead of marijuana

3. "we make the rules AND words!" :D

4. That IS flawed. It looks intentional to put a grower out of compliance.

clinton

5. Mother fuckers. I registered and voted in this state solely for the reason of being able to get the card here in MI. And then they finally get it started and I already got people treating me like "oh you don't need that, its for old people"... ok you ignorant bastard.

6. That's hugely flawed, the plant is called Cannabis Sativa or Cannabis Indica. Why would a body of lawmakers not know that?

Plus, clones do NOT produce cotyledons, only seedlings will do that. They should have it read like this, "Or a rooted cutting from an established female cannabis plant, known as a 'mother'". Nobody wants a male plants cuttings, and there is no distinction made for that.

I'd say the wording was more incompetency and failure to comprehend what they are saying, than devious, but it could make for some fun debates.

7. There is at least one case in MI where the PA claims that a harvested plant that has been divided, for drying purposes, is several plants.

"They" are trying to use the EXACT letter of the law to make everyone a criminal.

So let's accept the EXACT letter of the law.

A granddaughter is NOT a "marihuana" plant.

8. #8 HighAsFuck247, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
    This whole thing shows how powerless we are as people in subjection to our government, They don't even know anything about the plant and they aren't trying to find out anytime soon, at least thats what they would like us to think (deceiving us into thinking its too dangerous to even look into. The report of its danger scares people away from looking into the reality of the situation) . If we vote for MMJ in MI, then why not make it Medical Marijuana? Quit making petty little rules so you can just pick the card holders up on a technicality. Its like the card is bait for the federal government to catch all the growers and smokers. I don't understand their logic, at least spell Marijuana correctly? You represent the US Government for fuck's sake.

I'm guessing it started out with the Gov...

at least it seems like a lot of trouble to write such a one sided tail (although it does show the negative effects of prohibition i haven't read this book I was only reading the description for it), and then name the michigan law after a book speaking negatively about the medicine that people need.

9. I am always amazed at how lawmakers make everything so damn complicated when it comes to mmj. All common sense goes out the window with these "over-educated, not a bit of common sense" idiots! Do they do this with tobacco and alcohol? It is a shame that of all of the states that have passed mmj laws that they can NOT create guidelines with common sense so people who need their medicine can get it without all of the unnecessary bullshit. It baffles me!

10. It boils down to this:
    1. Either they believe MJ is a drug that has absolutely no medical value, and its use is more harmful than helpful.
    2. Or they believe too many people will turn to it because of its lack of negative results, and the pharmaceutical industry will take a hit along with all of the other government funded programs that keep MJ users off the streets. The government's reason for not legalizing it in the first place is paranoia. The statistics are there. People generally live happy and healthy lives when they use MJ for their condition, No one has died from it, that's a better promise then any type of medication I have seen out there. There are people that have died from everything. Nature is at peace with us, why are we fighting it? How are they ever gonna get anyone to buy Tylenol again if people knew that weed was harmless? People would be growing that shit left and right. There would be so much of it to go around if it was legal people wouldn't be getting shot over it, it would be like gold anymore. The laws make the high prices. If your worried about funding crime, get rid of the revenue. Quit making it so people have to pay the price of gold for their medicine.

11. The way that it reads now, a medical patient in Michigan could have an unlimited number of plants.

As long as the mother plant is itself a clone that has never produced those "cotyledons."

But then weight becomes a real problem.

12. #12 sinsemillaplease, Feb 6, 2010
    Do you guys seriously not know why they call it marihuana... Jesus. KNOW YOUR CANNABIS HISTORY kiddies.

This little mixup is in wording is nothing compared to the greater flaws in our state's law. How about the fact that you can have 12 plants... but once you cut them you can only have 2.5 ounces. Doesn't that seem like a much bigger issue? How about how it's legal for patients to use but there is no entirely legal route to get it? How about the lack of protection for patients from discrimination?

Let's stop the nit picking and confront the important issues.

13. Exactly. Jesus... really? Well that would explain why the governments hate it.

14. Nit picking .. BS

This has a material impact on every mmj and non mmj case where plant counts are being presented.

EVERY CASE

15. I want to make this as clear as possible.

"Cotyledons" are the first little leaves that pop out of a seed. Those little round leaves.

A clone never has and never will "produce cotyledons."

If you take a cutting, according to that section of law, it is a plant. If the cutting is from a plant that has "produced cotyledons."

Cuttings only count if they are from a plant that has "produced cotyledons."

Clones DO NOT PRODUCE COTYLEDONS.

16. #16 sinsemillaplease, Feb 6, 2010
    Try arguing that in court. It will be treated as semantics and ignored. It's the same thing as trying to argue that your plants are legal because Cannabis sativa wasn't included in the original law. (only indica was originally outlawed... or was it vice versa)

We have more important things to worry about. This won't ever come up as a serious issue. I guarantee it... quote me on that. The judge will side with the prosecution every time. It's the spirit of the law that would count here.

Think of how foolish that sounds... "It's not illegal sir... well yes it's marijuana.. but it never produced cotyledons!"

You say it affects every case... well history tells us that it hasn't affected ANY case since it went into law.

17. Yes sir ..

Right now a patient is on trial because of his harvest procedure. He chopped the plant and then cut the branches off for drying.

The PA is counting each branch as a separate plant.

18. #18 sinsemillaplease, Feb 6, 2010
    That's a different issue entirely which you already mentioned once. I have a habit of reading an entire thread before I post... so you don't need to repeat yourself. Just how high are you right now?

Don't get me wrong though. I share your righteous fury.. that is a perversion of the law. In the end, I hope it is treated as such. The issue here is still the clone/cotyledon thing though right? Not whether or not individual branches count as plants :confused_2:

19. Nothing yet .. Thanks for reminding me.

20. Folks please understand what is taking place right now!!

This is the way this section of the CSA is being applied in Michigan court cases RIGHT NOW:
    If you harvest a plant and cut 10 branches off to hang for drying:

THEY ARE COUNTING THAT AS 10 MORE PLANTS.

If you are about to put a plant into flower and prune it, every single cut, you do pruning, counts as one more plant.

If you harvest a plant and cut the buds off for drying, you might have 100 buds. They are saying that you now have 100 more plants.

They claim that intent doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if something has been cut off the main plant.

GET IT??? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE HERE IN MICHIGAN.