The Lost Symbol (Dan Brown's new book)

Discussion in 'General' started by DutchR7, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Anyone else looking forward to this? I really enjoyed Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons so if this one if half as good as those, i'll be a happy camper.

2. No, his books are terribly written.

Spoiler: The first person mentioned will be an ordinary individual, who will be identified by the proper name of their profession in a way that normally would never take place (like "Museum Curator XYZ" followed by repeated references to "The Museum Curator" and "XYZ, Museum Curator")

Spoiler #2: He will be dead within 1 page

Spoiler #3: I hope I am never mentioned as the first person in a Dan Brown book, and identified by the proper name of my profession in a way that normally would never take place. Read the first 3 pages of every Dan Brown book. It happens about every time.

3. I've read all his books, they're all typical "best-seller/page-turners" which is to say that they have little literary merit in of themselves. Brown is a History professor, so at least he understands how to write, and his subjects are quite fascinating. BUT that doesn't necessarily make them good. That said, I did quite enjoy three out of the four previous works he's published, and I say enjoy meaning that for a brief time they entertained me. I'm under no illusions that he's a great story-teller or that he's even terribly original, and of his books, I think that his best is "Digital Fortress" which is about security at CERN in Switzerland.

So that said, I'll be sure to read the new one, but I'm not anxiously awaiting it's release. I most likely won't be buying it tomorrow, but may in the next few weeks.

4. I liked the Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code books, the movies sucked. I will definately check out this new one though :) Thanks for the info

5. So what? Each book contains a unique story and several mind boggling conspiracy theories.

Wow, I didn't know a new one was about to come, though I thought it was about time :)

I'm definitely looking forward :smoke: