The lone ranger

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Big_Bud, Mar 12, 2009.

1. #1 Big_Bud, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
    Hi guys, i'm thinking of growing for the first time but i only want to grow ONE plant. That way if i mess things up its only one ruined.
    I'm very very limited in terms of using hydroponics etc, can anyone give me any tips on how to grow a short plant in basic conditions, something like inside a pc case. Also can anyone suggest what strain i should attempt to grow in these conditions and where to buy them?
    Thanks guys.

2. Help me somebody! I need to start! I need your help! lol

3. LST is a simple and straightforward technique that not only will keep the plant short but also will maximize its yield. See the sticky on it at the top of this forum.

Indica-dominant strains grow lower than sativas.

You may want only 1 plant but, unless you are using feminized seeds, you probably should germ 2-3 because what if you get a male?

4. LST will work but like toasty said, germ and grow a couple plants then sex em and throw out the males. As for a PC case grow, check out my thread on the forum for ideas on construction of one. Its on pg 5 or 6 by now.

5. Okni read the sticky and it helped, thanks guys, i understand the concept of LST.
    Where i basically stand now is i need to find a strain that is good to grow in small areas like i said pc case, but i have no knowledge on things like you were just talking about, i understand you have to take care of them propperly otherwise they will grow males but what i need to know are things like how to stop them being male and grow as female.
    Does anyone rate feminised seeds? I seen on here people saying to just get regular so im kinda lost.

6. you can pretty much grow any indica in a PC case from what i understand as long as you limit its grow size by the size of the pot as well as trimming and fimming to make it bushy and not tall. LsT works wonders in small spaces

7. autoflowering strains stay small and are fast to harvest.

8. #9 Big_Bud, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
    Ok geat help guys thanks, how much in £ do you think it will cost me to put a pc setup together? Like i said im running on low buget so i need to keep spending to a minimal is possible. I really like the idea of a pc case setup but i don't think it will be big enough, i don't want huge bushes growing everywhere because i simply dont have the room but on the other hand how can i fit even one in a pc case? I know 'lst' can help but only so much surely in the space of a pc case.

9. Ok I'll give you the prices in my currency, you have fun converting it :p

Most Basic Budget
    10$ - El cheapo PC Case
    20$ - 6x 23watt CFL ( 3 of softwhite and 3 of cool white)
    10$ - Wires, power strips, light sockets
    15$ - Pot + Soil + two sets of nutes for flowering and vegetating
    20$ - Some sort of DIY Carbon Filter
    15$ - Two PC Case fans + power adapter

Other things you might come to need :
    10$ - pH tester
    10$ - Materials to increase reflection in your case
    10$ - Advanced nutrients
    10$ - Bottled water

10. Why 2 types of nutes? Don't i use the same kind through flowering as i did in veg period? Also is that U.S dollers or Canadian dollers?

11. Nutes consist of three main chemicals

Nitrogen- Phosphorus - Potassium

On the boxes you will see three numbers printed

XX-XX-XX

Those numbers represent the % of each nutrient Nitrogen- Phosphorus - Potassium

During the vegetative stage, you'll want more nitrogen and a bit more potassium than phosphorus.

During the flowering stage, you'll want a lot more phosphorus and less nitrogen and a bit less potassium.

So, some nutrient mixes are made for vegetative period as they have more nitrogen. Some nutrients mixes are made for flowering period as they have more phosphorus.

the actual numbers dont matter. What matters is the proportion of each chemical compared to the other chemicals.

12. There are several good strains that you can start with. I'd recommend one of my favorites AK-47 by Serious Seeds. Its very simple to grow and some absolute dank when its done and you'll yield great.

If odor is a concern try a Kali Mist (Serious) or a nice Mendocino Madness (THC Seeds) plant. Both are sativas with relatively low odors. As for indicas I think Northern Lights would be OK for lower odors. Keep in mind they all stink to some degree when in flower. Just try to not touch them.

Another nice low maintenance plant is the Lowryder or Lowlife strains. Get a hybrid though as the original is not potent at all. Some phenotypes have stronger odors than others however, I think the best is the one that Sensi has developed however.

Best of luck!

~kali

bud of the day: Mazer
    song of the day: Crash - Dave Mathews Band
    mood: Happy, oh yeah!

13. Thanks for the tips, im interested in the lowryder strain, i like its size, does anyone know where i can get some CFL light bulbs from? I'm Uk based so if there is anyone who can help message me please, i dont have that kind of buget for all that stuff, its too much.
    I mean i got a seriously low buget, i just need to grow like 1 plant successfully.
    Can anyone help me find a way to grow something like a lowryder with minimal funds, doesnt have to be a pc case set up.

14. if you want to grow a plant succesfully youll need to spend the money for the lighting, soil, nutrients, and pH tester etc. Half assing a grow is the same thign as growing, youll just put in too much effort and get a mediocre yield

15. I hear what your saying, i've decided to grow loyryder#2 for my first grow as i read they are relatively easy to grow and grow fast also, from seed to harvest in 9 weeks aparently.
    Would you say thats a good idea for a first grow?

16. LR2 is a great little hybrid by the JDoc.

It will just take right off after the 4th week. They are really potent little guys too and if you do get a descent light you can get about a 1/2 oz of pretty good herb from them.

Good luck,

~kali

bud of the day: Mother's Finest
    song of the day: Rocket - Smashing Pumpkins
    mood: a little tired

:rolleyes:

17. Thanks kali for the advice, i don't suppose you know where is the cheapest place online for LR2 seeds?

18. I'd advise against trying a PC case grow your first time simply because it's such a small space that it requires a lot more skill and precision. A simple 5 gallon bucket DWC will make an easy start. You can still grow in a very small space, and practice your LST to learn, but you also have a lot more room for mistakes.

But if you really want to do a PC grow that's up to you. Just know going in that it's tough to do and doesn't yield much.

Whatever you decide, the best advice I have is to read a lot and get yourself some Big Bud by Advanced Nutrients. That does more for my yields than any single thing I've ever tried or heard of. I won't grow without it.