Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The limitations of weed potency?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by tstick, Jul 24, 2012.

1. What is approximately the physical limitation of a marijuana plant's ability to be devoted strictly to THC production? When I see claims that some strains produce 20% of THC, it doesn't take a math genius to figure out that 1/5th of that plant is strictly THC. So, can plants go much beyond that percentage or is that about the limit?

2. I forget the name of the show/documentary, but awhile back i was watching something on marijuana in america. They were talking about the federal marijuana research facility at a university, i think it was in kentucky or somewhere in that region. Basically this place had been opened long ago by the government to do all sorts of tests on cannabis, they even grow it right there at the university. But anyways police departments from around the country have to send in samples for them to run tests on. And they were interviewing one of the scientists that does the testing, and she was saying although it was rare she has seen samples over the 30% THC mark.
    Its crazy to think how most topshelf flower is only like 20-24% thc, and somewhere out there most likely theres some 30% weed.
    But to answer your question, i dont think anyone knows that. It would vary a lot from strain to strain and pheno to pheno, but i would guess around 33-35% being the absoulute most. And even then you would have to be a master grower and know a few secrets that the rest of us dont know..

3. You have to understand that a high THC content isnt all that a cannabis plant contains/has to offer.....CBN or cannabinol is a degradation product of THC, so when percentages like 30% are being talked about, it will get u pretty fuckin high, but it will also crash u like a MOTHERfucker as well as having the potential to cause paranoia and even potentially psychosis if u constantly heavily smoke strains that are grown with an utter devotion to THC. СBD, or cannabidiol is another very important cannabinoid in marijuana. Its a stabilizer and is the soothing to THC's riling up. Essentially, all im trying to say is that THC should be far from the only factor considered when discussing quality/potency of a cannabis plant. If a plant is at around 20% and also has a suitable amount of СBD in order to balance the ratio, then u can call it great quality.

Edit: Even with this, Im sure there are a ton of other factors which should be considered when screening a marijuana plant for quality.

4. #4 tstick, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
    I agree there is a synergy that takes place within the components of weed. Sometimes the synergy does not translate to refined concentrates like BHO. I mean, don't get me wrong...BHO will get a person EXTREMELY high....but not with the same "balance" of components found in really well-grown/cured weed.

For me, it's about flavor. I want strong, unique flavors (terpenoids). And if I find a strain that tastes wonderful but isn't as potent in terms of THC, I can simply amend the good-tasting-yet-less-potent weed with some hash or some kind of concentrate. Just pinch off a bit of full melt or sprinkle on some granular hash or kief or a shard of shatter and top off your bowl. Voila! -great-tasting and as potent as you'd ever want! A good bubble hash usually runs at around 50-60% THC. And hash made from high CBD strains like Raskal's OG are out there, too, if that's your thing.

I have about six "base" strains of weed that I really love. Once I have my base strains, I can mix/match/vary the taste and potency at will. I can take a 12% THC strain of weed and turn it into a near 50% THC strain by adding the missing strength! And a gram of hash or concentrate will stretch a bag of weed a long way.

5. The cannabioid spectrum in genuine cannabis is unmatched in synthesized compounds such as Marinol and Sativex....scientists have isolated many of the cannabinoids active in marijuana, but there is something special about their SYNERGY (the way they interact together) in the live organism that cannot be reproduced in a laboratory. This is, so far, what makes genuine medicinal cannabis irreplaceable. Good post bro

6. Speaking of Marinol and Sativex....

I wonder how those two pills compare to the new "Pure Gold" capsules in terms of a more synergistic effect. I think they are reported to be 97-99% pure cannabinoids.