The limitations of strength

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Dec 9, 2008.

1. #1 bkadoctaj, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
    Take a regular sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 letter paper. Softly fold the paper so that it does not crease. See how many iterations of this process you can achieve without creasing the paper. Observe how each fold becomes exponentially more difficult to make.

EDIT: I wonder why it reminds me of increasing.

2. Anyone have a record? I seriously don't think you can do it ten times.

3. Perhaps, this is a metaphor for life?:smoking:

FUCK IT, I am just really stoned/drunk!

4. when i was a kid we had this trick where youd ask some one to fold a regular pice of paper in half 11times. everyone says sure i can do that. no you cant.

5. We used to try a really similar thing when I was in school, but instead of folding the sheet of paper we had to try to tear it in half as many times as possible.

I like the insight you can gain from both ways of doing it. Folding is like trying to reduce something down, and realizing that you can only do it to a certain point. It should (and most likely is) possible to reduce down to infinity, but human limitations frame the experience within certain boundaries.

Along a different line of thought, starting with one thing and tearing it into halves is a good way to learn about the interdependent nature of creation and destruction. You create a stronger form of the paper every time you destroy the one that came before it, but, again, only within the boundaries of human limitations.

No way in hell I took these insights out of folding/tearing paper when I was a little kid, but it's cool to reflect on them now :)

6. Word.

7. Exactly how I feel... :) Can you draw a curve with straight lines?

8. Trick question :)

9. Well, you can. But that just means we're redefining the nature of a curve.

10. It is possible, it would just take a lot of space! If one were to go in a straight line around the world, one would end up with a circle :)

11. Make the paper as big as you want to, it takes more folds the bigger so whats the difference? make the paper, water and then it can never end?

This could also be a solution to a problem that one created I.E. limitation put on to the object.
    If one would want to hear an answer, they would have to ask the right question that can only be answered one way.

Some things can not be broken down or increased infinitely, except by repetition.

I have found one thing out from trying not to crease the paper as I fold it, it looks like ribbon candy.

12. The point that is creating the line would think itself to be straight, if unaware that the paper below it was moving and contorting rather than the point.

13. Has anybody seen the movie Unbreakable?

The part when he's testing his strength in the basement bench-pressing.. SO amazing

14. To me it looks like a packaging peanut.