The lighting gods have smiled upon me!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mr Mean, Aug 3, 2010.

1. #1 Mr Mean, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
    This is a good story so take the time to read it.:D

The other day I went into my local grow store (owned by an old high school friend, and managed by another old friend) and unfortunately, the employees were really rude to me. Granted, my buddies were not there, and it was the hired help who was rude to me, but I left feeling really shitty about the whole situation.

As a former service industry employee, (my time in the trenches was spent waiting tables in random sunny surfable places I travelled to...) I would have never been such a complete ass to someone for no reason.

As I was leaving the parking lot I heard a radio ad for a newish hydro store in the north state: "blah, blah, blah... lowest prices, biggest warehouse, yada yada" so I checked it out.

Ken, the manager instantly offered me an ice cream (I chose a Mango frozen fruit bar when I left). The two guys there were pretty damn cool, and their store is freakin' sick!!! Almost anything in stock, even down to the lamest parts.

Long story short, I left happy and with my supplies in hand without feeling like an asshole for giving some jerk my money.

Went back today with a spec sheet for building a grow room, gave it to Ken, and as we were discussing lighting options (1000W digital vs. coil transformer), I pointed out the "Master Blaster" 1500W ballast and said, "I bet that thing puts out some crazy heat."

"I don't know, nobody has ever bought one" he says.

"I'd hate to invest in something like that and wish I hadn't bought it..."

"Do you want to take it home and put it in your garden to see how it performs?", he asked.

"Shit I can't afford that thing!" I fire back.

"No, I mean take it and a bulb home to test it out free of charge. If you don't like it, return it and I sell it to someone for cost. If you do we can make a deal for this room you're building.

HOLY F*ING SHIT!:hello:

So now I have been carrying this gorgeous emerald green electronic ballast around with me like it's a baby. I'm still in awe! Time to stick it over a 9 bucket DWC covering a 6'X6' area. I think my little 5000BTU AC unit might have to be swapped with a 10K unit though!

No pics yet, but I'll do some modelling shots of the ballast and bulb... oh so f*ing sexy!!!!

2. Oh, it was Norcal Hydro Gardens in Redding in case anyone is wondering.

Nope, don't care if you know where I buy my grow stuff! ;)

3. you dog,,,,Good luck to you

4. Thanks! :D

I've built a 5'LX5'WX2' tall scrog "table" (more of a frame for the accessories and screen with romex 14/2 and 12/2 wiring for the 120 and 240 circuits for the light, pumps, fans, meters, etc.), a 9 bucket DWC system, a used 10,000 BTU AC unit, and some other randoms.

I have 3 Querkle clones, and 6 Pre '98 Bubba Kush (off of two gorgeous moms in the greenhouse) and I have a 7'3"X9'0" room to put them all in.

I have a ghetto little DWC cloner I made to accomodate 12 clones, and my 9 plants are in cut-off 44oz. fountain drink cups, holes drilled in the bottom and sides of the cups, and filled with hydroton. Busting roots like crazy, but they are still under the CFL cloning lamps...

...can't wait to plug in the Master Blaster! I've been photodocumenting everything, and I will have a sweet grow room diary going soon.