The Letter To My Parents

Discussion in 'General' started by wendt9222, Feb 21, 2018.

1. I'm in high school, (yes i'm 18), and i'm still living under my parents roof and I will be until later this year when I head off to college. I use my wax vape at my house in the bathroom, blowing the vapor into the bathroom fan which worked for quite a while. However recently my mom noticed a smell in my room, searched it, blah blah, you get the point. In the end I no longer have my dab pen :(. However I wrote this letter to my parents, I haven't gotten a response yet but if you'd like to hear what they say about it I'll gladly update this thread. What are your thoughts on it, here it is (sorry, it is quite lengthy):

Dear Mom and Dad,

Let me start this off by saying, in no way am I asking for you to allow me to use marijuana because it’s illegal and I understand that. I'm doing this because I simply don't believe it's fair to leave you both uneducated about the drug and its positive and negative effects. In this letter/essay, I'll start off at the beginning of Marijuana use and continue from there. I'm going to discuss both positive and negative effects of using the drug.

Marijuana was first used as medicine in 2727 B.C. in Chinese pharmacopeia. In an article on narconon.org, a website fighting to end all drug use, they state "In every part of the world humankind has used cannabis for a wide variety of health problems." This is just showing that Marijuana is nothing new, it's known use for medical reasons extends back almost 6000 years. Skipping ahead quite a few years, around 4600 years, America had marijuana and hashish and was available in the pharmacy's around America. This was obviously changed and the push to make Marijuana illegal started around 1910. However, the reasons for this are very unethical and was basically based on racism and the immigration of many Mexicans into the United States. Eric Schlosser a very well credited journalist wrote "The prejudices and fears that greeted these peasant immigrants also extended to their traditional means of intoxication: smoking marijuana." He goes on to explain this by stating "Police officers in Texas claimed that marijuana incited violent crimes, aroused a ‘lust for blood', and gave its users ‘superhuman strength'." Rumors were spread around saying that these Mexican immigrants were giving American schoolchildren ‘killer weed'. Obviously, I don’t need to tell you that ‘reefer madness’ is not a real thing, but if it wasn’t for prejudices and racism towards Mexican’s marijuana would most likely not even be illegal. Here is a clip from Adam Ruins Everything, I don’t know if you’ve heard of this show but It basically is supposed to debunk commonly believed myths. It is only 6 minutes long and it is packed with information, so I suggest you watch the whole thing. As you know a lot of states are now making marijuana legal, 29 states and Washington D.C. have legalized medical marijuana. Also, 8 states and Washington D. C. have legalized the use of marijuana recreationally. Now that I've got the boring history part out of the way I can go on to talk about the positive and negative effects of marijuana.

I’ll be using research done by the National Academic of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine attempts to look at both the positive and negative effects of marijuana. In this research they state that marijuana can be used to treat moderate to severe and even chronic pain. It suggests that using marijuana for pain relief is safer than going into your medicine cabinet and taking a couple of Advil. I could talk for a long time about how marijuana can solve the ongoing opioid crisis that is happening in our country. Millions of people lose their lives due to opioid addiction, it often can start with something as simple as a broken arm. These people are put on morphine at the hospitals when they arrive, after they leave they are prescribed a painkiller that is seen fit for them. Many, many of these opioids are very addictive and once their prescription is over they still crave the opioids and can even die from the insane withdrawals that take place when usage is stopped. What do these people do? They turn to they only source that can stop these withdrawals, which is usually heroin. Like I stated before, I could go on forever about this but that’s not the purpose of this letter. This research done states that marijuana is effective for “improving short-term sleep outcomes in individuals with sleep disturbance associated with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome… treating appetite and weight loss associated with HIV/AIDS… improving anxiety symptoms in individuals with social anxiety disorders…”. It also states that there is “very limited evidence of correlation between marijuana and causing any mental disorders itself”. While some might argue that there are already medicines for problems with this, the side effects of these medicines are very bad compared to marijuana. Mom, I believe you use Clonazepam a.k.a. Klonopin for your anxiety problems. As the research stated marijuana is proven to be effective at treating moderate to severe anxiety, and using things like CBD, the other component in marijuana besides THC, that has no psychotic effect can treat anxiety. This means that the medical values of marijuana are still given, without the high, it can still treat pain, anxiety, depression, all without getting the mind-altering effects. Keep in mind that CBD is legal in all 50 states and it can be shipped right to your front door. Comparing the side effects of both drugs, using the same source (medline.gov), you can see that marijuana has potential to replace these drugs. The possible side effects of Clonazepam are, drowsiness, dizziness, unsteadiness, problems with coordination, difficulty thinking or remembering, increased saliva, muscle or joint pain, frequent urination, blurred vision, changes in sex drive or ability, rash, hives, swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing or swallowing, and hoarseness. The possible side effects of Marijuana are, decreased short-term memory, dry mouth, impaired perception, red eyes, panic, paranoia. As you can see there are a lot less side effects of marijuana than there are of Clonazepam, and a lot less severe. These are the effects of the THC component, CBD is known to have no side effects, and still treats the same issues. CBD oil is consumed by simply putting a couple drops under your tongue, letting it sit while for a couple seconds, and swallow. For the negative side of things, the research states “limited evidence shows links between marijuana and increased heart rates, worsens outcome in education, employment, income, and social functioning… moderate evidence shows use of marijuana before complete brain development can lead to short-term memory issues and cognitive function issues” While marijuana can be abused and cause the problems of worse education, if used in moderation and for a reward instead of using it to keep you going, it can have little to no effect on your grades. For example, I myself have a job, I am on the honor roll at school, I don’t get into any trouble at school, and would consider myself a responsible person. The report showed that “moderate evidence shows there is no link between marijuana smoking and lung cancer, commonly linked to tobacco.” Marijuana has also had a positive effect in my life, it helps with my sleep, as you guys know I have a problem with, and it gives me headspace when I want to unwind instead of my mind just racing all the time. Those are just the medical values of it, not to mention it makes movies, games, etc. very enjoyable. No dependence was formed for me on marijuana, since I’ve stopped not once have I had a ‘craving’ or ‘urge’ to smoke.

In conclusion, marijuana has both positive and negative effects on the brain and the body. I hope that by reading this you have become more educated about marijuana, and why it is being re-evaluated by society. Mom, maybe you could even give CBD oil a shot, as it has no side effects (your eyes won’t be red, mouth won’t be dry, that’s all from the THC part), compared to the medicine being used now. I think that if more people were educated on marijuana's positive and negative effects, it would most likely be legal nationwide by now. However, this is made difficult since it is still a Schedule 1 drug, so it is very hard to obtain the drug legally for research. I understand that marijuana has negative effects, what doesn't, but I believe that the benefits of marijuana greatly outweigh the negatives.

2. They most likely won't care about those facts, its gonna come down to this "Stop smoking weed or get out of the fucking house and support yourself" There gonna look at that letter and shit all over it. Seriously.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That is a nice letter and all, but it will likely do absolutely no good. Personally if my kid wrote me a letter to educate me, I would help him obtain an education by introducing him to the rental market and letting him pay for his own college.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. My parents are generally understanding people, just today I had around an hour conversation with my mother on marijuana and her opinions on it. They are both very educated, and as I stated at the beginning of my letter. I am not asking them to allow me to smoke, I just don't want them to still believe the usual bullshit like smoking marijuana instantly makes you a low-life burnout...

5. Damn Billy droppin’ an essay on his parents like booom

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. THE LIST

Granny has a very comprehensive list of studies, broken down into categories that the studies effect. Give it a peek see and let your parents become aware of it.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. What do you mean 'billy', I'm a grown ass man for a matter of fact.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. #8 Dr. Natty Light, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    18 is definitely not a "grown ass man". Physically, but especially mentally. Just sayin', from someone that's only a couple years older than you and still a good bit away from being a "grown ass man".

Your parents probably won't give a shit about your letter. My parents would probably get more pissed off. Just say "yes ma'am yes sir I won't do it again" and smoke on the DL. That's the best thing to do imo. I and lots of friends have the typical upper class, republican parents. I know how it goes.

That means smoking it OUTSIDE of your parents house.

Just be glad it was your parents -- not the police. Otherwise you'd be spending a night or two in county jail. Went to jail for half a GRAM. Getting caught by parents is heaven compared to that. Worse is having to call them to bail you out.

Good luck. Don't wish away your youth so quickly either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. #9 CBDBurner, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Change the word marijuana to the word cannabis. I didn’t read the whole thing but did u mention why you are using it in your letter to your folks? I don’t think anyone can deny the benefits that cannabis provides to people and if they tried to argue it really the only thing they can go back to is pills as a alternative. If they ask why u using it what’s gunna say ur bored? I can just imagine them reading it n bein like “ what did he think he could just copy n paste Wikipedia on a piece of paper n hand it to us thinkin we’d buy this shit”
    Your in luck man puffcos on sale get ya a new piece. Just don’t go stealin the $$$ for it our moms purse.
    Puffco Plus Vaporizer | Vape Mood

• Like Like x 1
  10. Listen that's cool that you know your facts and your intelligent, and your trying to be the best stoner you can be, but listen traveler, just do what @Dr. Natty Light said. Keep it on the down low and get out there in the world and kick some ass.

• Like Like x 2
  11. A "grown ass man" would still have his dab pen.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If they don't want it in the house, respect it. Do it outside the house and keep it to yourself. Go off to college, live in a dorm (but now you have to abide by their rules) or get your own place and do what you want, just don't get caught by the cops. There's always some rules or laws to follow you just have to use experience (which you have not much of) to decide what you'll do.

Basically, get your own space and be smart.

13. "Deny, deny, deny!"

-Johnnie Cochran, 1994.:coolalt:

14. Lol a grown ass man wouldn't have got his stash taken by mommy :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  15. When i was in high school I stashed my shit outside, if my pops would've found it inside he woulda took and smoked it. It's kinda common sense.

16. After the first sentence I wouldnt have read anymore tbh.

17. #17 Bill Dauterive, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Well he probably won't kick any ass in these times probaly get kicked in the ass is more likely.

.Listen bro. Your an adult not a grown ass man. You haven't paid for shit out of pocket. The fact you live with your parents isn't what makes you not a grown man.

There are plenty of grown ass men who live with their parents.
    it's the fact you haven't paid a single cent in tax, haven't bought anything major(car house,etc) haven't paid a single car note or insurance for that matter, been solely responsible for making sure you had food in your stomach, been fucked over a couple times.

So as it sits your just an adult who the world can step on without looking bad, so time to step up or get stepped on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I understand what all of you are saying. By the way my response to that man calling me 'billy', was simply stating that I'm no longer a fucking 15 year old.

19. I undertand being an ass like you in the name of comedy, but I didn't post this to have useless things like this to be commented on it. I wanted people's insite on the letter itself, not whether you think I'm a man or not.

20. Buy another dab stick n b more careful just tell em ya quit n go to good will n buy a NA book put it on ur nightstand