Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The lethal dose of Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by HeaDiEs RusH, Oct 31, 2011.

1. I'd be willing to participate in the research as a test dummy, giving you supply :D. How would THC even go about killing you physically? Ever thought about that? Is it going to result in respiratory failure? Or maybe act as a poison? I can't answer that question any help?

2. even if 444 grams is the real total...think about it for maybe a minute. That is 444 grams in one sitting continuously no breaks. NOBODY can do that. People talk about going through 1/8ths in a night to ounces on here. An ounce is ONLY 28 grams...now think again about 444 grams.

3. When THC was administered intravenously, they found a number of consistent factors that contributed to the animal's death. However, the way that the animals died from having THC injected directly into their blood stream may not even be possible if you're smoking cannabis.

4. what if you eat it though?. If your oil is 90% pure you'd have to eat 100 g of hash using the OP's ld50 of ~90 g pure thc/avg person.

5. Yeah guys, this a pure liquid thc. Not 444 grams of bud. Find out how much weight of thc per gram of dank, then divide 444 by that number.

6. That will give you the actually total amount of weed in solid(bud) form.
    Sorry for double post.

7. Lol, i can imagine someone trying to OD on weed and be just way too stoned to even remember what they were supposed to be doing after an 8th

8. I know after smoking cannabis your chance of having a heart attack is higher then before hand.

Of course, no one needs to explain to me that, "Your dying of a heart attack, not cannabis intoxication".

I know that, but just to play devils advocate. Lets say I died of a heart attack after 40mg of adderall.

That isn't near a lethal dose, so you could say, I didn't die from adderall, I died from a heart attack.

Adderall would have only been a contributing factor, just like smoking cannabis could be a contributing factor to a heart attack.

Or lets say I got drunk and feel asleep on my back. Then threw up and choked to death on my vomit. Alcohol didn't kill me, choking on my vomit did.

Get what Im saying? No? Let me give another example.

Masturbation increases risk of heart attack, but if I had a heart attack while jacking off, I didn't die from jacking off, I died from a heart attack. Jacking off was only a contributing factor.

9. You would probably die of smoke inhalation if you managed to smoke that much. hehehe

10. The thing that is important to keep in mind is that the researchers believe that the cause of death among the animals was the result of there being too much THC in their blood stream at one time (the THC was being injected directly into the blood stream). Since, THC isn't water soluble, they think it may have precipitated (solidified) in the blood, causing a whole host of issues that eventually led to cardiac failure. This is not as likely to happen while smoking (or eating) cannabis because you are not injecting the THC directly into your blood stream, making it more difficult to consume such a large dose. Also, I speculate that a human's LD50 is much larger than a rat's LD50 because the researchers reported very large LD50's (3000+ mg/kg) among larger animals like dogs and monkeys.

To make a long story short, there is a reason why nobody's ever overdosed on cannabis. Just so long as we never try shooting it up, we should continue keep the marijuana kill count at 0.

11. Leave it to the drug companies to fuck around with THC so they can finally show an experiment that shows a dead rat.

12. #32 sourjello73, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
    THC has a different LD50 for different methods of consumption

Erowid says
    LD50\t- 1270 mg/kg (male rats), 730 mg/kg (female rats) oral in sesame oil
    LD50\t- 42 mg/kg (rats) inhalation

13. Yea that's straight out of The Merck Index. I think the different ld50's have to do with the different rates of absorption. Intravenously being the most efficient, and deadly. That fact combined with the larger tolerance observed with larger animals presents a pretty strong argument that recreational users will/can not die from a cannabis overdose.

14. It dose not compute

15. With this being said, the lethal dose for a human will be well over 444 grams. Think about it, dogs and monkeys are surviving 1050 grams, and that is with the fact THC is toxic to dogs.

16. It could possibly only be lethal in humans when given IV. Considering it can killsyou by clumping up and separating from your blood when the concentration is too high, eating it or smoking it would take too long and the concentration wouldn't be high enough to clot.

17. [quote name='"HeaDiEs RusH"']So, I know we've all heard the "you have to smoke 3x your own body weight in 30 min" or whatever it is that people always say, but what is the actual dose?

I have the Merck index 11th edition right in front of me and it says that the LD50 of THC ingested orally in sesame seed oil is 1270 mg/kg for male rats and 730 mg/kg for female rats. I did some calculations to try and figure out how many grams of cannabis plant that converts to, but I came up with a rather low number.

I assumed that there are 200 mg of THC per 1 gram of cannabis. I multiplied 1270 mg of THC per 1 kg of body weight by 1 gram of cannabis per 200 mg of THC to get 6.35 grams of cannabis per 1 kg of body weight. I then multiplied by 70 kg (assuming the average person weighs 70 kg) and got an answer of 444.5 grams of cannabis.

444.5 grams of cannabis is not 3x anyone's body weight. What gives? Am I missing something in my calculations?[/quote]

Thats more than 3 times my weight. Bro

18. if you were to inject that amount of THC into the blood stream, you would kill the person from the solution that the THC is in before the THC could do actual damage.

If you were to give saline solution in that amount of time you would probably die faster.

your not talking about toxic level of THC, your talking about the body's capacity to receive large quantities of any substance. To use this as leverage as to point that THC is dangerous, would be like dropping 5 tons of bud on a person and tell them weed kills.

19. That's a good way to put it. Bottom line, you're not going to die from smoking weed.

20. You could not die from smoking to much I empathize the word SMOKE not inject or ingest, No point even explaining why, Just use search