The less I sleep the more awake I feel

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by tHe LoNLy StOnR, Feb 17, 2012.

1. This might not totally make sense but these last couple of days I've began to realise that the more I stay awake the more awake I feel. It's like I've grown tired of being tired, I just want to stay awake and learn concepts because in this state it feels as if things just click way easier than my normal waking state. Everything feels different, music sounds different, food tastes different and my brain functions more ... well it functions. It's as if a light was changed and for the first time flipping that switch did something.

Granted I may not be the most co-ordinated of people right now but I'm no ballerina, so I'm not worried. Also my appetite has changed I'm eating less than usual but more like a normal human being. Anyway I'm not on drugs at the moment and have been clean of any sort of inebrient for months now and I'm just wondering if this is normal or if it is the start of one of those spiritual journeys I keep reading about?

2. yeah ive also havent felt the need to sleep as much..
    ill knock out, lets say around 11 pm, wake up a few hours later thinking ive had about 8 hours of sleep..i will feel completely well rested too..
    i came across a video on youtube not too long ago explaining some signs/symptoms that you are becoming spiritually awake and not having to sleep as much is one of them

3. The "more awake" feeling you get when sleep-deprived is your brain attempting to compensate for what you're doing to it.

The idea that we each need 8 hours of a sleep a night is false. Some need drastically less, and some need a whole lot more. But forced sleep deprivation WILL hurt you in the long run. There is a lot of interesting studies coming out now about sleep deprivation and Alzheimer's. I can't remember the exact percentage, but those who are regularly sleep deprived are at a far greater risk of developing Alzheimer's than those who are not, and this has to do with the brain's dopiminergic system.

The less sleep you have, the more dopamine your receptors take up in order to try to compensate for what's happening. Eventually this leads to temporary psychosis, which, if extended, can lead to a psychotic break which can lead to permanent psychosis.

Dopamine is NOTHING to be messed with. It is insanely important to a variety of normal functions.

If you feel like you need to sleep less in a night, start taking DMAE. It will reduce the number of hours you have to sleep to feel rested. But do NOT force yourself to stay awake. That's just stupid, no matter what some website tells you.

4. neither the OP or I said anything about forcing ourselves to stay awake

if i feel tired, i sleep
    if i dont feel tired, i try and go do something productive

i cant find any info on DMAE and feeling more rested.. haha actually read that if you take too much you can get insomnia.. either way, can you link me to something

5. Well since no one has mentioned it ...here goes...

when you go to sleep your brain begins this process of recycling neurotransmitters, absorbing them back into the cells...

If you don't sleep you actually accumulate more of these neurotransmitters than normal...this is why staying up all night could be a temporary cure for depression, as you end up with more happy chemicals than usual...

I suspect these same chemicals are responsible for you feeling "more awake" but just know you can only keep that up for so long you WILL eventually need sleep

6. You alluded a YouTube video informing you that the need for less sleep is a sign of spiritual awakening. It is actually a sign of mania or hypomania, which is a state of functional psychosis. In manic states many people feel "spiritual." I would advise you to take this YouTube video with a grain of salt. Sleep deprivation has long been a method to seek spiritual visions, but anybody who has been truly sleep deprived knows that the visions which ensue are not very friendly. It is akin to something like a datura trip. Actually, what goes on in the brain of a severely sleep deprived person is exactly, neurologically, what goes on in the brain of a person who has taken datura. But I won't go any further into that.

As for DMAE causing a need for less sleep, it's all anecdotal, of course. The supplement industry in this nation is not one which is regulated, so stringent case studies are never really done. However, here's a pretty good site for all things nootropic: Full-Text Excerpt of Smart Drugs & Nutrients - Section 5 - DMAE | Smart Publications

If anybody wants to seriously undertake a DMAE regimen, definitely start out with the recommended dosage. Overdoses, even slight, can cause some gnarly neck pain and upper back/shoulder tension

7. right on,
    ahh hopefully you didnt misunderstand me...im not saying that less sleep equates with spiritual awakening...its not like im forcing myself to stay awake so that i can become enlightened or something..
    all i was saying is:
    a) ive noticed that as of lately i will go to sleep and wake a few hours later up on my own feeling extremely rested
    b)i came across a video stating what i previously said

does that connection need to be made? who knows, doesnt really matter either way

regardless, A is still happening on its own with no real induction on my part

anyways, thanks for the link

8. i dunno why, but when you sleep more.

like 8-10 hours i always feel tired when i wake up.

but if i get like 5-6 sometimes 4 i just like wake up and feel fine.

9. Too bad, tomorrows another day.

10. Wow, I've finally slept and all I remember from the last two days was me smoking invisible cigarrettes and drinking what appeared to be delicious invisible drinks. And I also met the most fascinating people I know. I tried to call them earlier but their phone numbers were really strange and when I tried calling I just heard a disconnected tone. That really sucks because they were awesome and what makes it really strange was the fact that they all gave me one number, maybe they didn't like me, even if it seemed like they did.

Now I just have to hang out with my lame friends who only want to smoke weed and act lame. And seeing as our entire area is out of weed because of a massive sting operation, I guess we're just going to hang out and act lame. But at least they have these weed seeds that they claim can give you a high akin to weed and we're going to try it later when the time is right.

11. you have a slight lack of sleep mania

12. [quote name='"tHe LoNLy StOnR"']Wow, I've finally slept and all I remember from the last two days was me smoking invisible cigarrettes and drinking what appeared to be delicious invisible drinks. And I also met the most fascinating people I know. I tried to call them earlier but their phone numbers were really strange and when I tried calling I just heard a disconnected tone. That really sucks because they were awesome and what makes it really strange was the fact that they all gave me one number, maybe they didn't like me, even if it seemed like they did.

Now I just have to hang out with my lame friends who only want to smoke weed and act lame. And seeing as our entire area is out of weed because of a massive sting operation, I guess we're just going to hang out and act lame. But at least they have these weed seeds that they claim can give you a high akin to weed and we're going to try it later when the time is right.[/quote]

That sounds exactly like a datura trip...