The Legend of the Bankruptor

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by The Gutlord, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Here is a story I wrote inspired by the times me and my friends would go to all you can eat sushi high as hell. Enjoy.

The Legend of the Bankrupter
    In the time of Samurais and Shoguns, there lived a beast of terrible wrath, the Bankrupter. For many moons it slept in the deep waters of the ocean. On land, the pleasant seaside villages fished in fear that they may disturb his slumber with the sounds of their oars splashing and the churning water caused by their nets. So, all the villagers made sure only to take what was necessary and only to fish once a day, ensuring the beast should never awaken.
    However, high in the mountains, there were many villages which struggled far more than those at the sea. The mountains were cold and the soil was poor; little food could be grown and the people endured many hardships. One day, men from the mountains travelled down through the valleys and peeks, fearing that they would starve if they stayed. Soon, they reached the coast and saw the beauty of the ocean waves crashing upon the shore. The villagers there told them of the fish in the ocean and in time these men stayed there; relying too on the bounty of the ocean. The men, being so overjoyed, ran back into the mountains telling everyone about the fish and the ocean. Before long, families began leaving the mountains for the coast.
    But, the people of the mountain, not knowing the tales of the Bankrupter, went out to fish many times a day and took much more than they needed. They filled their stomachs to the point of bursting. Never in their lives had they know such happiness. The villagers of the coast, fearing that the villagers of the mountain would wake the Bankrupter from his deep sleep, told them of the beast and his terrible wrath. The villagers of the mountain laughed and paid no mind to story. Being from the mountains, they could never imagine such a creature could exist.
    So, the villagers of the mountain went out day after day, fishing the ocean of its bounty. Each time their oars would splash about and each time their nets would churn the waters. From sunrise to sunset the boats would come and go in an endless stream. The waters looked as though they would spill up and over Mount Fuji. After days of this, the splashing and churning began to reach down to the depths where the Bankrupter lay asleep. Over and over again it was pestered by the sounds and currents caused by the boats going back and forth. Suddenly, it began to stir and slowly lifted its giant head as the water swirled in the depths around him. Its eyes opened and peered through the dark waters at the fishermen above. Infuriated by the disturbance it raced towards the fisherman and burst through the water in front of them. Gazing down upon them, the Bankrupter struck terror into everyone around him. The fisherman gazed back at the Bankrupter, who was nearly two-hundred feet long with a black serpent's body and four eagle's feet. Upon its neck rested an enormous black head with a long mouth filled by rows of great white teeth and had two piercing green eyes which seemed to be able to peer straight into your soul. The Bankrupter opened its great mouth and bellowed down to the people below, “Because of you, I was awakened from my slumber and my slumber will be returned by taking the bounty of the ocean!” The Bankrupter then dived back into the ocean and began to feast upon the fish. All through the waters he swam eating and eating, nothing satisfying his endless hunger. Eventually, the ocean became lifeless but still, the Bankrupter was not satisfied. It turned its sights on the food stores of the villagers. It ate and ate, meanwhile, destroying everything in its path.
    Finally, the Bankrupter had eaten its fill, leaving it exhausted. Tiredly, it returned back to the ocean depths and entered back into a deep sleep. The villages were left smouldering with not a single piece of food left. With no food left in the ocean many began to starve. Soon, the villagers left the coast and travelled back into the mountains to begin farming whatever crops they could just as they did before. Again, many moons passed and slowly the fish returned. After life had returned to the ocean, so too did the villagers of mountains and began to live with the villagers of the coast again. But this time, even the villagers of the mountain knew not to tempt the wrath of the Bankrupter.