The Killing Of Otto Warmbier

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Praetorian, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Between those and whatever wrote that hate speech, what a waste of a room full of oxygen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. You always seem to think you know what the US will do...or even how it is here... How do you know these things?

Because I think your sources might be warped, considering you've never been here to see how it actually works...

• Like Like x 2
  3. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. There is no penalty for theft of a NK propaganda poster because every North Korean residence is expected to have these posters and a large portrait of the Kim Jung family on their wall. The NK guards make regular inspections of their citizens' homes to ensure the portraits and poster are hanging and clean of any dirt or dust. In North Korea, there is no religion nor practice of spirituality. The North Korean citizens are expected to worship the Kim Jung family as if they are gods. On the other hand, the penalty for looking at material from outside of NK, even a Netflix movie, is death.

In N. Korea, entire families can (and are) placed under arrest and interrogated,without ever being informed of their charges. The N. Korean guards are judge, jury, and executioner. It is literally a free for all in those prison camps. When a whole family is put into a camp, the guards will kill family members who are too young or too sick to work. The remaining members are forced into hard labor from dusk till dawn with about 5 hours of sleep per day. Women are subjected to rape and if they are pregnant, salt water is forcibly injected into their wombs to force an abortion. If by some miracle, a woman manages to give birth to a live baby in that hell hole, the guards will force her to drown her own newborn in a puddle of mud and they will severely beat her until she kills her child. No basic necessities are provided to the prisoners. They get no blankets, no clothing besides what they already wear, no animal based foods, no toothpaste, toilet paper, sanitary napkins, soap, basic medicines, nothing. The food rations are so scarce, prisoners will fight each other for the right to pick through cow dung to find undigested bits of corn to eat. Then there are the torture chambers. All I'm going say about that is watch the CNN documentary on the N. Korean prison camps so you can see the stories of the few who were able to escape. It still turns my stomach thinking about it. The North Korean prison camps are no different than the concentration camps Nazis used against Jews. This shit is happening right now right across the ocean. I wish so much Otto's death will not be in vain. I wish this could be what unites us as a country. There is an estimated 150K to 200K prisoners in those camps right now. Some are American. It doesn't matter who is at fault, this administration or the last. Who the fuck cares? All that matters is this shit needs to end. The United Nations cited the N. Korean prison camps as having the record number of crimes against humanity back in '14, yet nothing has been done by them. WHY?????

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. While it is right that they have posters at home, that is a separate point.

I believe I've read, in one of the early articles, something along the lines of "stealing a government poster IS a severe crime according to NK law." That's about the only part of the Koreans' story I'm willing to believe.
    It makes sense that if a North Korean citizen walked into a public place, or a government building, and removed one of those posters off the wall for themselves, they would be severely punished.

I obviously disagree with everything about the capture and treatment of Otto Warmbier, but I honestly don't believe a citizen of North Korea would have fared much better, if the theft ever actually occurred.

6. How many of the Guantanamo bay inmates got a trial? :)

I'm not trying to claim Otto got a fair trial, but he did get a trial.

7. Because the US is like a cheap soap opera, you know what's going to happen because it's the same thing over and over again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #28 Lenny., Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
    what can the american gov. do about it? more economic sanctions that don't work? start world war 3? try and talk to china again? north korea is pretty much a geopoiltical quagmire.

9. #29 Praetorian, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    North Korea being a difficult situation does not make any future attempts at improvement impossible. It certainly doesn't make discussion about it futile.

Successful talks with China, as one example, are a way of seriously impacting North Korea. Whether or not and when it will happen is up for debate, but I wouldn't rush to toss it out of the debate completely.

10. #30 Praetorian, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Ehhh...the US has changed and is changing more and more. Many around the world expected "the same thing again" during the 2016 election and got a surprise.

We can find repetition in history, but I wouldn't rush to presume to know every move the US government will take in 2017 and the near future. The civilian sector are not the only ones who are getting smarter every day.

11. It doesn't take a genius to work out what we have to look forward to from the US over the next few years.

More intervention and warmongering.
    More bullying of weaker states.

It's like a broken record at this stage.

12. I think you should visit the US at some point, perhaps live in it for a while. The most likely new war it may engage in, is a civil war, and even that's not very likely.

As Obama found out when he wanted to "pin prick" Syria, The American people have zero interest in another Iraq or Afghanistan. That trend is not likely to go in the opposite any time soon.

13. When I'm having a pop at the US it is not the American people that I'm addressing, it's the American government. Unless you're a statist this should not offend you.

Trump has already ramped up the US presence in Syria, threatened NK and is about to (if reports are to be believed) ramp up the war in Afghanistan by deploying 000's of more troops.

You don't have to be Mystic Meg to figure out what Trump's going to do.

14. Last Updated Jun 16, 2017 12:02 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon is making plans to send additional U.S. troops to Afghanistan. While the number is currently expected to be between 3,000 and 5,000 troops, the number is still being worked on, reports CBS News' national security correspondent David Martin.

The decision by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis could be announced in the next several days or couple of weeks. It follows Trump's move to give Mattis the authority to set troop levels and seeks to address assertions by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan that he doesn't have enough forces to help Afghanistan's army against a resurgent Taliban insurgency. The rising threat posed by Islamic State extremists, evidenced in a rash of deadly attacks in the capital city of Kabul, has only fueled calls for a stronger U.S. presence, as have several recent American combat deaths.

Trump tweet hints North Korea tension will heat up again
    Updated June 21, 2017 8:42 AM

U.S. Is Sending 400 More Troops to Syria - The New York Times

Russia 'targeting' US jets in Syria after America shoots ...
    www.independent.co.ukNewsWorldMiddle East
    A US F-18 Super Hornet shot down a Syrian army SU-22 jet in the countryside southwest of Raqqa Getty Russia has said it will treat US warplanes operating in parts of ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. It seems perhaps you place zero faith in the American people's capacity regarding better future governing and global military presence.
    If the standard assumption every time is that the American government and its soldiers will always just do more warmongering, as your comments imply, then I'd consider that a pop at the American people as well, as it implies they are utterly incapable of warless existence. A sort of macabre predetermination on a national level.

The last I read, the Trump administration is considering sending an additional 4000 troops. Considering the troops-in, troops-out volumes in Afghanistan over the past decade, an addition or subtraction of troops of that size does not strike me particularly special.

I don't know what is going to happen. Afghanistan has been a clusterfuck since the start and whoever can bring it to a semi-sane end has my vote. I won't however assume that the only possible future by default is more war.

16. Doomsday Clock: Humanity might be edging closer to its end
    We are creeping closer to the apocalypse, according to a panel of scientists and scholars.

The Chicago-based Bulletin of Atomic Scientists has moved the “Doomsday Clock,” a symbolic countdown to the end of the world, to two and a half minutes to midnight.

It marks the first time since 1953 — after hydrogen bomb tests in the US and then Soviet Union — that humanity has been this close to global disaster.

The group cited US President Donald Trump’s “careless rhetoric” on nuclear weapons and views on climate change among other factors, including cyber threats and scientific developments, that have contributed to the darkened forecast.
    We are creeping closer to the apocalypse, according to a panel of scientists and scholars.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Poor guy but if he's dumb enough to go there. I can't think of a single reason why a sane person would but I think I'm not in the position to make a qualified statement considering Budapest is the furthest east I've been.
    North Korea is gonna stay simply cause (almost) every other country looks much nicer compared to it

• Like Like x 1
  18. Be careful because Deutschland is on Don's shit list. "Germans are bad, very bad".

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. A bad guy thinks we're bad if I recall my math lessons correctly minus and minus is plus. There's worse
    Edit: we aren't bad we were. I'm correcting the president in his own language now

• Like Like x 1