The Journey Is The Destination

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by cherokee91red, Jun 1, 2013.

1. And in the other corner..... the skunk is doing fantastic. I topped her last night and I don't think it even slowed her growth, I have a picture showing immediately after and 24 hours later. I know your not supposed to top autos because of the short veg period but the data on this plant calls for a height of 60-90cm, and since I only have about 50cm max of possible height I took the risk early and hope it works out. From how she's growing so far it definitely looks like it will be bushy. TDS is dead on, I can't believe I guessed that amount right. In 3 days PPM has gone from 330 to 333.

DSCN6716.JPG DSCN6718.JPG
    DSCN6717.JPG DSCN6719.JPG

2. Nothing new to report, PPM trends for the big plant were 680 this morning and 695 tonight. PPM's for the little guy are hanging steady, only at 335 tonight. Also added another light to the veg box bringing it to (1) 26W and (3) 14W CFL's.

Attached Files:

3. Crap, I leave for a couple days and return to some bad news. I haven't been able to check on the diesel yet until the lights go on, but the skunk got heat stressed pretty bad. The leaves partially grew into the lowest hanging light and temps spiked without the ac running... my thermometer shows a max of 100F! That's in the HPS box so I can only assume bad things for her.

Attached Files:

4. More of the same story for the diesel. I can't wait for summer to be over so these temps will drop. I'm having to ice the reservoir constantly and might need to pick up something for the roots, beneficial bacteria or whatever it is. Any suggestions? I don't know how much longer she'll survive but I want to ride it out as long as I can and hopefully get some decent bud off her. The main cola is fattening up but almost all the hairs are still white. PPM's for both plants have leveled off, staying around 330 for the skunk and 680 for the diesel.

Can she be saved?

Attached Files:

5. Post pics of the root system for both plants, This might be an easy fix.

6. Visited the hydro shop yesterday and was informed I need SM-90 and Hygrozyme. I flushed the res last night and upgraded my bucket so I can quit having to lift the lid for everything. With the res flush I included those 2 additives to my feeding. Roots are a mix of brown and white currently but for the first time since I've had my TDS meter, my PPM's have gone down. They were 627 last night and 611 this morning. This means that the plant is uptaking more nutrients than water right?

Skunk is the same story, PPM went from 305 to 285. Maybe the hygrozyme is making the roots actually work better? Its the only common thing I added to both plants.

Attached Files:

7. The high temp burn is really starting to show up on the skunk. Makes her look ugly, but the new growth underneath is coming in nice and green. Should be back on track soon. Roots under the water look bone white, not sure why they're a little brown higher up where they hang from the net pot.
    DSCN6749.JPG DSCN6750.JPG DSCN6751.JPG DSCN6752.JPG

Spotted the first group of brown hairs on the diesel. She sure looks ugly but buds keep growing and I keep telling myself if I ignore all those dead leaves, the bud looks alright. Roots are still nasty looking but a couple ice packs in there now to bring root temps down. Not sure if it was a side effect of the SM-90 or hygrozyme, but my ph spiked quite a bit today. Has stayed fairly consistent having to drop in 0.5-1mL a day of ph down. Tonight I had to drop in about 5mL.
    DSCN6759.JPG DSCN6760.JPG DSCN6761.JPG DSCN6762.JPG DSCN6763.JPG DSCN6764.JPG

8. Been awhile, been much more diligent about the ice packs and res temps have dropped. Topping out at 75 they are still a little high but I think its helping. Cleaned most of the dead roots off last week too, quite a lot of them. I've been seeing some new growth on the bud tips, those two closest to the screen have grown about an inch in the last 24 hours. The screen is there to actually help block some of the light to below, anything I can do to help manage the temps. I plan on putting a usable screen on for the next grow, thinking about buying a MH bulb so I can scrog it in the cabinet. Anyway, pics...

Sour Diesel... definitely on life support, yesterday.
    DSCN6765.JPG DSCN6766.JPG DSCN6767.JPG DSCN6768.JPG DSCN6769.JPG

Today.
    DSCN6772.JPG DSCN6773.JPG DSCN6774.JPG DSCN6775.JPG DSCN6776.JPG

And finally, the skunk

So this didn't actually happen, screen came detached from some of the tape and dropped onto it.

However, I have figured an answer to my problems, I hope. My roots were definitely rotten, between the heat stress and the root rot the little guy didn't make it. The diesel is still alive and kicking though and looking like its starting to appear healthier. Roots are almost bone white. Lots of new growth. There are a few old ones that are brown and I couldn't clean it off but otherwise looks healthy.
    DSCN6790.JPG DSCN6791.JPG

I ended up routing some AC venting into one of my intakes to the box.
    DSCN6781.JPG DSCN6782.JPG

Prior my temps were going 73-86 pretty consistently. Even with the ice packs, the reservoir just never had a chance to cool down and was promoting growth. Since routing in the extra AC my temps swing from 67-83. Not a noticeable change in my daytime temps, since it is the house AC and only runs once in awhile. Because its getting down to 67-68 at night though, I have been able to get the res temp down to where it needs to be. A week now and everything is looking good and solid. In the last 6 days my PPM has followed this trend.... 385, 396, 402, 398, 398, 395. It appears to have settled and I think I'm going to actually be able to pull some bud off of her.

DSCN6783.JPG DSCN6784.JPG DSCN6785.JPG DSCN6786.JPG DSCN6787.JPG

10. If not for all those dead leaves, I'd say she's looking good. Trich production is up, smell is getting better and overall dark green new growth.

Anybody want to guess how much longer? Was supposed to be a 12 week strain, in week 13 now but the root rot probably tacked on a few weeks.

Attached Files:

11. Things are still going great. Did a res change tonight, most likely the last one until I flush before harvest. Smelling good, and the buds are getting heavier. I was worried a couple branches might snap and had to tie them up.

Attached Files:

12. Still chugging along. I'm thinking 3 more weeks.

Attached Files:

13. Started a new project for my next round. Got a feminized White Rhino from Greenhouse Seeds going in a 2.5 gallon water jug I converted into a reservoir. Currently going with 3 CFL's totaling 63 watts and feeding with Botanicare ProGrow, hygrozyme and endomaxx. I have Cal-Mag waiting in the wings if a deficiency starts to show up as the botanicare contains some in its mix already. Sticking with the distilled water too. My plan is to top it twice in veg and scrog in the flower box. Leaves on this girl are fat as shit already too. PPM's are currently at 355, having risen about 10/day for the last 5 days. Here are some photos, currently in day 14 from seedling pop.
    DSCN6877.JPG DSCN6885.JPG DSCN6889.JPG DSCN6890.JPG DSCN6893.JPG DSCN6895.JPG

For the Sour Diesel, things are looking great. PPM's for her are rising 15-20/day pretty consistently, currently sitting at 635. Calyxes have just started to swell, with some pistils turning brown and receding. Trichs are still mostly clear though so still a little time left. Buds are super dense now as well. If I hadn't tied up those 2 in the front they probably would have snapped by now

DSCN6896.JPG DSCN6897.JPG DSCN6898.JPG DSCN6900.JPG DSCN6902.JPG DSCN6903.JPG DSCN6906.JPG

14. Any Updates?

Yea. About 12 hours before you asked.

16. woops my bad.

17. No sweat, all the posts start to look the same after awhile.

18. Give another quick update. Just topping off with water now every few days as a precursor to the flush for harvest, PPM's are down to 430. More pistils are starting to brown, especially on undergrowth.
    DSCN6909.JPG
    DSCN6912.JPG DSCN6915.JPG

I definitely think If I didn't tie up that front branch it would have snapped by now.
    DSCN6911.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rhino responded well to the topping and continues to take off. Green, felty leaves and thick undergrowth.
    DSCN6917.JPG DSCN6918.JPG DSCN6919.JPG

19. Time for another update. The Diesel is on the home stretch, got some purple showing up in some buds and trichs have just started to show some amber. The vast majority are still white so still not that close and a bunch of pistils are still out and white. Its making slight daily progress so keep an eye out, harvest might be real soon.
    DSCN6921.JPG DSCN6926.JPG DSCN6928.JPG

The Rhino is definitely taking its namesake. It is a fucking monster. Undergrowth is unbelievable, the 2 new tops have gotten a set of leaves going and the mature fan leaves are bigger than my hand. That's a standard size bic lighter resting on one of the fans. Figure I got 1 more week on the Diesel, then as much time as I can get for the branches to hang and dry in the big cabinet. I want to top the Rhino once more, probably tomorrow or the next day. Then when the 4 new tops have started to regrow she will go into the flower cabinet. I have high hopes for this girl.
    DSCN6925.JPG DSCN6931.JPG DSCN6932.JPG