The joker sux

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Saltyfries32, Nov 4, 2019.

1. This was bore wasted $ & time.
    Joaquin Phoenix did the joker zero Justice
    He is not my joker... Jack Nicholson & Heath ledger where the best!
    Screenshot_20191104-100118.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. #2 JKill, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    What does Joaquin Phoenix, Jack Nicklson, Heathe Ledger, your Opinion and the Joker have to do with growing weed?

nnnnnnnnnnnnothing

thanks for the update chief

Move to movies forum

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. #3 Dizzy, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Tbh it was just ok 6/10 IK alot of people liked this one but I wasnt feelin it very much. There is better Jokers imo mainly Heath Ledger was the best one ever to me.

~Toni~

4. #4 Deleted member 1097942, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2019
    I finally got around to seeing this movie over the weekend. I feel very ambivalent about it. The overarching moral compass of the movie, or the idea that the “eye for an eye” quality of the titular character’s actions is admirable, left me feeling uneasy.

For anyone who has had issues with mental illness and can empathize with Arthur Fleck’s rage at being stepped on, this movie will be especially challenging to watch. Fleck is what would probably be termed an “incel” today, but the movie is set in a time before the internet made it possible for someone like him to withdraw from the outside world completely.

Joaquin Phoenix’s performance carried the movie. He was graceful and committed throughout. I just wish he had been given better material to work with. Heath Ledger is often cited as the seminal Joker, and comparisons are inevitable, but the key difference between the two is competence and agency. Ledger’s Joker is similarly unhinged - but competent and in control.

Fleck, on the other hand, speaks with a childish intonation and misspells words in the journal he keeps. As viewers, we’re clearly meant to feel extreme pathos for Fleck and surmise that, had he not been abused at every juncture of his life, he could have made something of himself, yet he isn’t competent enough for that to be a reasonable proposition. His only moment of lucidity comes near the end, when he makes an appearance on a late-night television show hosted by a Carson-esque character played by Robert De Niro.

The ideological bent of the movie is also too heavy-handed and transparent. Almost all of the morally neutral characters besides Fleck and his feeble mother are non-white, and it’s clear that the movie is supposed to serve, at least in part, as a sort of wish fulfillment fantasy for disillusioned millennials who feel that the power structure put in place by stodgy old white men has robbed them of any chance at self-actualization.

As a stoner film, I wouldn’t rate it particularly highly. The appearance of the movie is uniformly, almost aggressively, ugly. I was slightly stoned when I saw it, and I did not derive any special enjoyment from it in that state. Overall, I would give it a high seven out of ten, maybe a low eight.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. How about u move your ass off my post..
    If you don't have anything to contribute shut the hell up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Friendly Friendly x 1

6. The joker a slow dreary even boring story of a nut getting nuttier
    For Batman fans and the like, creepy rarely funny
    dissapointing for me...but well acted
    5./10
    Rate the the last movie you watched!

7. It's like, I've seen Falling Down, and I've seen Taxi Driver...I haven't seen this. While I'm interested, I have to say I don't think it's going to surpass either of the aforementioned.

8. Comic book film Joker passed the $1bn (£772m) mark in global ticket sales this weekend,
    becoming the first R-rated movie to do so.

A US R rating requires everyone under the age of 17
    watching the film in a cinema to be accompanied by an adult.

Joker is currently number seven on this weekend's US box office chart,
    with Le Mans film Ford v Ferrari topping the chart with takings of $31m (£24m).

The latest Charlie's Angels movie could only manage to open in third spot.

World War Two naval drama Midway was second this weekend, taking $8.8m (£6.8m).

Joker became the most profitable comic book movie of all time earlier this month.

It has now reached $1bn despite not being released in China,
    where overseas releases with too much sex or violence can be blocked.

Its nearest R-rated rivals are 2018's Deadpool 2 ($785m) and its 2016 predecessor
    Deadpool ($783m), both starring Ryan Reynolds.

Gitesh Pandya, founder and editor of Box Office Guru, described it as a "jaw-dropping achievement".

Skip Twitter post by @GiteshPandya
    End of Twitter post by @GiteshPandya

[​IMG]
    Director Todd Phillips made the movie on a budget of $62.5m (£49m), a fraction of the budget of many comic book adaptations.

Joker becomes first R-rated film to make $1bn

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. "DeY tAlk 2mUcH sO eET bOaRiNg lololol "

wow, what a profound take

10. Like, I get the Falling Down comparison, but it's really not much like Falling Down at all when you actually see it. I think a Taxi Driver/King of Comedy type of origin makes sense for The Joker. The similarities are clear, but never denied, and they add their own sort of style to it w/the cinematography/score/etc

11. "Creepy, rarely funny"?

I mean... Being a Batman fan, and understanding how dark these characters can get, that's ... Kinda what I was expecting. And what I always wanted in a film really.

And I still get baffled by the fact that people find this movie "boring". People find everything fucking "slow and boring" nowadays . Weak ass attention spans. Sorry this wasn't your average MCU quip-packed run-of-the-mill movie .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fucking Michael Bay fans eh...surprised they went since it's not showing in 3D.

I have seen it since.
    Agreed...similar theme I guess, but not a similar movie in anything other than a kind of parallel tone.
    Good movie.
    I think the fanboys have kind of pumped it up into something it's not...though it's nice to see some QUALITY come back to DC movies outside their animated features.
    I know there was talk about maybe bringing this Joker into the current DCU movies...I'd rather they built some more movies around this rather than the other way 'round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. It was slow but I liked it and would go see it again.

14. Todd Phillips directed Lex Luthor film starring Bradley Cooper. Or even Bradley himself directing it

Make it happen, people

15. Phoenix is the GOAT right now since Day-Lewis is retired. Put some respeck on that man's name, Joker was fire.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Here, while it's still fresh...always loved the joke, now I got someplace to put it.

Attached Files:

• j.jpg
      j.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. It was supposed to be an origin story, not "muh societay", i'm glad the internet spoils all movies before I'm forced to pay to watch them or bootleg them.

18. It *was* an origin story, just not the one/s you're familiar with.
    Was given a more realistic approach to how someone may have went down such a path.
    Like Ledger, he's just another different version of the character.
    Given how many "origins" the comic, and various movies and cartoons have given him over time, it's not as though it being different is entirely a new thing.

That said, while I'm never one to say "rush to the cinema and see this", I think you're missing out on a well made film if you don't watch it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Joker was good and Pheonix did a great job but of course, it's impossible to reach the level Ledger has set. People are forgetting that it was Joker's origin story, its Arthur Fleck story not the clown prince of crime story.

20. it's impossible to reach the level Ledger has set.

I think he exceeded it, personally.
    Maybe not "as the Joker", but as much as I like Ledger, he was not on the same level as Phoenix.
    He *could have* been, given a few more years, but who knows.

I think a lot of people LOVED the Bale batman films. I liked the first one, the second was ok...but I do think it only gets the credit it does on account of Ledgers interpretation of the character.
    The thing is?
    Again...it's not that I didn't enjoy it, it's not that he didn't do well. He smashed it.
    Though, I didn't personally find his version of the character that much of a representation of the Joker.
    Don't get me wrong...all I mean is, I feel like for the Nolan Batman universe, he fit in perfectly well...but as an overall version of the character, I think "just ok".
    That said, his "just ok" sits only a chair down from Nicholson.

Then, I'm pretty biased. I was born in '81 so you can probably guess who my favourite was.
    I mean down to his albeit pretty comic-y "creation", the plot tying him in with the Wayne murders, his overall plan, his manner, his actual jokes and dialogue, his almost...fascination with Batman, his clothes, his gags, the blending of his character to be similar to both the TV iteration and the comics, and inside of it all an actor who no other to play the part has compared to...except, again, maybe Phoenix.

I'd like to see some kind of follow up set a little later down the line, to see what he can do with the character in full swing, and where that goes...though to be honest my feeling is we are not likely to see another one.

• Agree Agree x 1