The Internet..?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hello there!, Oct 27, 2012.

1. #1 Hello there!, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    Before the internet was commonly accessible by phone, there was a small group of internet aficionados who, around the time when AOL was what Facebook, Google, and (videoless) Skype (soon to be gone*) are now, all in one. It became quickly attached to by the kids who weren't yet developed at social interaction, who were looked down upon, or felt that way, by the majority of students. Anyone who didn't know how else to spend their time got involved with it. It was revolutionary; suddenly those who were made to feel as if social interaction was what all your time should be based on, had a way to communicate with other likeminded individuals. Better yet, they could pretend to be anyone - they were nothing to you but a screen name 75% of the time. The (evolutionarily developed?) need for interaction was quenched.

Then computers became cheaper, and both MySpace and Google exploded. Suddenly, the majority of families had a computer, and thus most high schoolers had them. You were officially yourself on the Internet at this point, most identities realistically portrayed. Or were they? Chatting programs flourished under this new global internet connection, and people were able to communicate thoughts to people they know without being physically near them. MySpace gave you a chance to portray yourself how you wanted to be seen, so people could know things about you that they might not have otherwise. Google gave you the option to find out whatever you wanted to, although it was pretty limited at this point.

Since then, we have seen the evolution and death of Ask.com, the death of MySpace, Skype, AddictingGames, and most chatting programs (Aim, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, etc.) (among many, many more) to give rise to the internet's 2 currently most used tools: Facebook and Google.

Now your life is on display, but you have the ability to research it. There are 2 main streams of information that people utilize. The internet(which if you recall, is now dominated by Facebook amd Google) and TV. They interpret both of these in 3 ways: following the trends, rejecting them, and those that add objective information to the foundation of their own opinion, those who question and seek to know what happened not from others' opinion, but from the objective examination of what happened.

Truly appreciate that last group of people.. even if they seem a little off or come off a little cross. They are the messengers of information; the ones who venture out from conversations about people; the ones who will tell you like it is, albeit with a touch of their vehement opinion added. They are the wise ones.

Lol I'm so high :smoking:
    TL;DR: My thoughts on the internet?

*EDIT: oh yeah, that is just my educated guess :p

2. Damn, you got to smoke me out or send me some of those nugs. Such a crazy, random and profound read. lol

3. Hahaha thanks man :smoke: I felt like there was so much to say.. I wanna write a book about it LOL

... Well, actually, I'm not gonna toss that idea in my mini wastebasket juuust yet..

4. its because people dont care about what others have to say, they only want recognition for their ideas (for the most part). that is why twitter, instagram, and facebook have became more popular, honestly i think the whole "update status" thing is the pinnacle of de-communication. if you want to create a popular website, find out the best way to exploit the ego.

5. [quote name='"tokin jax"']its because people dont care about what others have to say, they only want recognition for their ideas (for the most part). that is why twitter, instagram, and facebook have became more popular, honestly i think the whole "update status" thing is the pinnacle of de-communication. if you want to create a popular website, find out the best way to exploit the ego.[/quote]

We live in a world where people want you to see an image of them, and idolize them, but be free to do what we want when we're not behind a screen. These displays are what people see of themselves every day. It reinforces your image of yourself.. and perpetuates derealization. Because we are constantly changing individually and in groups, but are in denial.

6. Also I'm pretty sure all of us on GC (with exceptions of course) are victims to it as well :smoke:

7. yea i remember the days i had a 56k and loging on to aol lol
    fucking took forever

ps-it is a small world, my aunt lives in worchester. a couple mins down the street from the "fair" and papa ginos....whereever that is...but its in worchester

8. Wise words, Mufasa.

I think Twitter is the worst of the worst on the internet. Everyone cramming their opinions into 140 characters and the whole following aspect is just strange to me. It's like a dick measuring contest for the digital age.

9. Same with Facebook 'likes'. I shit you not, I have a friend added who posted 'LMS if you want me to post good night on your wall'. Guess how many likes?

I promptly closed Facebook.

I never could get into twitter. The idea of a website based simply on what FB was already doing with statuses felt like Digimon as a response to Pokemon. Except I didn't mind wasting time on Pokemon.

10. I have one person on my FB who does that and it's a 12 year old girl. I have never understood the appeal of asking someone to give you attention online. I remember back in my myspace days the whole "P4P" thing where you'd comment on someone's photo so then they would comment on one of yours. Pretty shallow and pointless.

I have a Twitter account but I don't use it I think it's really boring. Sadly FB is the only way I keep in touch with a lot of friends and family but there is too much bull shit on it to make it worth my time. I have unsubscribed from most of my friends which helps haha.

11. [quote name='"underahoneymoon"']

I have one person on my FB who does that and it's a 12 year old girl. I have never understood the appeal of asking someone to give you attention online. I remember back in my myspace days the whole "P4P" thing where you'd comment on someone's photo so then they would comment on one of yours. Pretty shallow and pointless.

I have a Twitter account but I don't use it I think it's really boring. Sadly FB is the only way I keep in touch with a lot of friends and family but there is too much bull shit on it to make it worth my time. I have unsubscribed from most of my friends which helps haha.[/quote]

I use it to scavenge for words with friends victims :smoke:

Meh, attention from the internet, attention from people in real life, attention to yourself, people just want attention. I think it's most of the motivation for intended interaction.

12. And being online is really the only way you can completely control the way people perceive you.

13. Glad I'm not the only wise one :)

14. Holy shit your rep went up fast. I was gonna rep you but I can't, and now I see why. GC is wary of your ascension through the ranks :laughing:

15. I am wise because I recognize I have much to learn ;)

Lol yeah I don't have a job so I have been spending a lot of time on GC. I didn't know rep was such a delicate issue to some people around here :eek:

16. Interesting read. It's funny how much the Internet has lead a revolution in technology starting from the 90's. From AOL, starting from the 1993 or 94 when the makers decided to create a service where you connect your phone modem to the back of the port of your desktop and make them sounds that sounds like the beginning of Dubstep probably how the connection of Dubstep because you listen to the classic dial up sound and compare with the "wob wob "wob" its like how music and technology fucked each other live they have but yet maybe these robots are saying more about "wob wob wob" I don't fucking know man haha.

Chat rooms started from AOL on a range of subjects that one can chat but then this was before webcams so anybody could use the false image and actually fit the character of that person since its the internet. Broadband later was added to the product of AOL but then individual companies started competing with each other in which how had the fastest MPBS aka connection speed.

Before Google became the dominant main search, we also had aol, yahoo, msn, ask.com also not forgetting the short-lived Netscape navigator web browser that is now discontinued. But back to the social network, it all started from instant messages of adding a buddy list than while AOL had its own, we also had Xanga, Bebo, forums were still making. Myspace was the first main-stream social network that actually gave you the option of creating your open page to fit you: music, background, colors, about me, videos, memes, news, meeting new people without the awkwardness, etc.

Myspace was its prime in 2005-06 while Facebook while was just beginning to start, giving the access to only college students while high schoolers used it as their advantage in shaping their identity probably for impression formation. Facebook started booming in 2008 but Twitter don't exactly know when it popped up.

But lets look inward on Facebook, what does it really do? Sure you can connect with old classmates that you never really talked too, keep in touch with family and friends but that's it. Facebook can stray away from the basic color that gives the signature background, you can't add music, you can't truly become creative with it. On news feed, what do these people are actually talking about? Is it what their talking about actually worthy in discussion or are they too lazy to gravitate ideas apart from the norm.

Also next time you're on FB, you can sense many characters on there: the attention whore, the song lyrics person, the I love my boyfriend or girlfriend blah blah person, the hipster attempting to sound different of popularity, the person who writes status after status person, the repetitive duckface...shit I can go for days man.

Twitter: isn't that like a F.B. 2.0 of constant status updates?

Also C.K. discuss about forums, discuss about Youtube, the internet is more than just a web-searching product. Also do you think the internet is better than television?

17. ^^^ I am the song lyrics posting person lol.

18. ^^ I mean it's nothing wrong with song lyrics but there's some people that literally ride on Little Wayne's and Drake's nuts.

19. YOUNG MULA BABY.

I don't even know which songs are Drakes. I recognize Lil Wayne cus of his little high pitched stoner laugh and synthesized voice. Oh and YOUNG MULA BABY.

20. #20 Hello there!, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    Facebook doesn't need its own music player or creative outlet - it outsources appmakers to do that for it like Spotify. But is it really even necessary? You can post a song from Youtube or any link or phone pictures to your FB in less than a minute. Now, it's saved there in chronologically organized fashion, easily perusable by your hundreds of FB friends who spend their time 'stalking' people, which has become the norm. People are surprised if you don't know about something they post. They expect you to look for it. And your entire page full of likes, pictures, friends, posts, shares, games, networks - it's all there for easy viewing pleasure. I know exactly what you mean about sensing the different characters :laughing: I categorize them the same way. A meme needs to be made out of the different FB people.

Neither one is better than the other. They're both just information outlets. I think TV is littered with biased advertisements, but I think the internet is as well. I would say TV is advantageous in that it gives more consistent information when you find something other than what is shoveled into people's abyss-for-brains. It's got less distractions than the internet. There's much more information on the internet, but finding the unbiased, analytical information is equivalent to the old needle in a haystack metaphor. It can take a lot of sifting through blatant, and not so blatant BS. I recently find out the concept of the 3rd eye as it's commonly understood was created by a guy 150 years ago. It's a shame.

:laughing: You're really asking me to get in depth here. The OP was ho I pictured the general public's relationship with the internet to be. Man my first forum was a Harry Potter 'message board' through AOL.. met a friend when I was 10 whom I am still in (infrequent) contact with. But it's almost 7am, I'm fighting a losing battle with my eyelids, and will have to posgpone further explorations of the topic.