The 'Insanity' workout program.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by FireFly, Jun 7, 2010.

1. The Insanity workout program is a 60-day routine that uses 10 dvd's to instruct and push a person to the best shape of their life. Its $120 online but I managed to pick it up from a friend for $50 so I decided to give it a shot and see what it could do for me. I knew Insanity was going to be Intense, even more because I haven't exercised in atleast 2 years because of neck problems. The kit includes an in-depth nutrition book complete with recipes and calorie lists.

I started the workout June 1st with a required Fit Test that wiped me out far more than I expected. As the days go on Im still getting my butt kicked every workout but can already notice a healthier lifestyle, which makes me look forward to day 60 more and more. Im not in it to lose weight and shed pounds.. Im attempting to build muscle and hopefully put on weight but eating enough is my biggest problem. I ordered an appetite enhancer called 'Black Hole' but have yet to try it.. Im hoping it turns my mediocre appetite into something productive that will help add on the pounds.

Has anyone else tried this workout? or read about it? Share your thoughts!

2. I know a guy who did it. He said it was absolutely ridiculous. He was a big huge muscle head though and the insanity workout is a lot of cardio that I don't know how he might have handled.

3. He definatly wasn't lieing. Im no muscle head and Im thinking with this workout its good not to be.. just because of all the cardio to it. I cant imagine a jacked 300lb guy doing some of these jumps and drills. im a measly 130lbs.

4. i downloaded it a while back. did it for about a week or so but being a cig smoker its fucking impossible. the fit test left my legs sore for like 2 days after haha.

insanity really is the only way to describe the program. good luck if you keep with it man.

5. Let me start off first by saying that I've just started insanity, done 5 workouts so far, and it is very hard. I've been lifting regularly for a couple years, my cardio was always ok, and I knew insanity was gonna be hard, but I didn't think it would be this hard, their pace gets so fast towards the end its crazy.

That being said, you mentioned you want to build muscle? Dude you need to stop insanity right now, this is not a muscle building program by any means, forget what the infomercial says. Its like 98% cardio dude! If you want to gain weight and build muscle you would be 100x better off getting on a lifting program and hit the gym hard. Why do a cardio program that burns insane calories when trying to gain weight? Do some research for programs on some popular bodybuilding/lifting forums for a decent routine. Eat big, lift heavy, and gain some good muscle and then do a 60 day insanity cycle and shed off the extra fat you would gain while bulking up.

6. Glad to see someone else that has begun the Insanity program.

I should have started out saying the reason im doing Insanity is a last ditch effort at something to improve my physique. From years of motocross racing and handfuls of wrecks i now have disc degeneration in my neck along with bone spurs that are about 60 years ahead of schedule. My bone spurs decrease the gaps between my neck bones where many veins and nerve lines also pass through, so when i hit the weights and the blood gets pumping it is restrained by the gap and leaves me feeling heavily light headed or a complete black out. The veins and spurs also give pressure to nerve lines and trigger pointless pain or the exact opposite.. numbness. The doctor said theres nothing I can do until surgery but to take high strength pain medication and not lift physical weights. He suggested water workouts or cardio and seeing as 'Insanity' is the best cardio workout out there.. i chose that.

I've ordered a appetite enhancement pill (Black Hole by Controlled Labs) to keep me full or carbs, proteins and calories. Id love to put on 20 to 30 pounds but I know some progress like that will take years so im just doing what I can the best I can for now.

7. Be careful with those kind of supplements man, I just don't trust them. All you need is a solid multi-vitamin, some fish oil, and whey protein (if needed). Like the other dude said, Insanity is mainly a cardio deal, so you are going to burn a shit-ton of calories, which means fat burning. You'll def gain some muscle doing it, but it won't be as significant as if you just went to the gym and started lifting. A little cardio is good to do when trying to get bigger, but too much and you'll slow down muscle growth.

8. Started downloading this 2 days ago and just hit 25% :D

33GB file is hellacious, I sure hope this program is worth it. :smoke:

9. Those definatly wouldn't hurt. I'll take your advice and try a good multi-vitamin along with fish oil... and break my old 5lb tub of whey protein out of the closet before i venture into changing my hunger hormones with a pill. Hopefully with those additions to my diet ill add on a few pounds and the 'cardio' of Insanity wont hit me as hard as it would have. Is there a better workout out there that I could be doing for strength? Something that doesnt use weights.

I have the full P90X program on my computer and it looks really good... I hope to begin P90X as Insanity ends but we'll see how ambitious im feeling. Id rather start a Micro grow in my closet after Insanity.. but thats another thread. haha

10. I am on Phase 3 of P90X and once I finish that (P90X is a 90 day extreme workout).
    After I finish P90X I am going to "attempt" Insanity.
    I am hoping that by doing the Lean phase of the P90X routine I will have a better chance of handeling Insanity.
    I would suggest looking into the Recovery Drink--- Endurox R4 (it is for workouts lasting more than 1 hour, but I find if you use 1 scoop instead of 2, it works like a charm, plus you double your servings per container)
    If you need a little more "oomph" in your workout, try Jack3d, I would suggest that you use 3/4-1 full scoop, gives that extra oomph and is NOT jittery (atleast if you RESPECT this product)

11. Oh ok, my bad for jumping to conclusions. P90x would be a better program for building muscle because you actually do some lifting and pullups and what not, but with your condition I'm not sure you'd be able to do those parts anyway. Either way I don't want to discourage you. Find what you like and stick with it.

Sebastian, you should be fine starting insanity after P90x. There shouldn't be anything in there that you can't do, its just the pace gets very fast sometimes so you'll have to slow yourself down, no big deal.

12. P90X is good. You'll burn a ton of fat and see some pretty good gains if you follow it and eat right. I couldn't stick with it because I got tired of watching the same videos haha, but I take what I watched and use it in my own workout routine. Also, P90X does use weights, just a heads up. You also need a chin-up bar.

13. lol instead of the black hole appetite enhancer just smoke a nice indica after wards, also helps your muscle soreness and relaxation.

14. Man I wish that were possible.. all i ever get is a quarter of bricked mid... good stuff is outrageous here.. 20-25 a gram.. and rare to find.

15. #15 Wasabe, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    4 days, 22 hours. Got the Insanity program downloaded :D

Damn, now I gotta buy some blank CDs so I can use it.

16. You should get the dvdr disks.. can fit the whole program on 10 or less disks. It took me an hour to copy it all over to my computer... a friend let me rip the entire thing off her burnt copy. Sucks you had to download it but atleast its done! :cool: