The Im so sorry, Thanks, Anomaly

Discussion in 'General' started by My Username, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Or is it?

I have had consistent trouble comprehending this common dialogue.. In particular, when some one is grieving, and their talking partner sympathizes by saying, "I'm so sorry". In reply, the one in grieve says "Thanks".

What is the sympathetic partner thanking? Does this dialogue implying the griever is in fact sadistic, and gives best wishes to those who inflict sorrow upon themselves for the sake of relieving the griever of grief?

2. The person gives a thanks for trying to comprehend what they're going through.

3. You high as fuck right now?

4. Go home Arthurs Grandma, you are fucking high.

5. It's a way of letting someone know you are thankful that they care for your feelings during your time of loss? :confused_2: 

It just seems so abstract..  

These phrases are 100% emotion based and have no solid meaning

7. Well, if someone has gone through the same thing before like losing a family member or having a really hard breakup then they do know how it feels and they're just saying that it sucks that they have to go through that.

Hm.. Maybe the real question is, why is sympathy such a powerful emotion? And is it for a selfish reason?

You're getting too philosophical for me.

10. ahahaha that's what im sayin

11. ...I did'nt mean to curse, I'm sorry Arthurs Grandma.

Well if you think about it, any emotion can be seen as selfish if the intent is so. 

13. it is only selfish to expect sympathy.

14. #14 Kuollut, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    Just another way to be fake and either gain someone's approval or avoid awkwardness

How many people really mean it?

15. I would hope that it is rarely used selfishly, more like compassionately. :smoke:

16. #16 My Username, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013

So if intent is key but is impossible to see, what does that say?

That is the question.. You would never really know. 

Maybe the question is, under what extreme circumstances does an emotional response become validated as genuine or not?

17. Maybe. Ask yourself this; why do you sympathize with others and help them during these situations? Because it makes you feel good for helping them.
    If it's a family member or significant other then yeah you're probably helping them because you care about them and want them to be happy, but think, why do people help complete strangers? IMO the main reason people help random strangers is because it makes them feel good about themselves; they might come up with another reason because nobody wants to admit they're doing it for selfish reasons and that other reason may be true as well but still I think selfishness plays a major part in why people help complete strangers.

I agree totally. It is trippy to think that it is so hard to know what "amount of selfishness" is going into someones responces.. kind of makes me anxious

19. She is not thanking him for what he said, she's just thanking him for saying anything. Due to the context of the situation, whatever the person says at the funeral will be construed by the widow simply as empathy. And that sympathy is what's the thanks is for.

That you must make your own decision as to how you interpret other's emotions before your own emotions destroy your well being. You choose how others feel about you , even if you are wrong.