the idea of nonexistence after death

Discussion in 'General' started by Faramir, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Ya know the idea of nothing after death does bother me and is kinda scary but i see it this way, when you have surgery and get anesthesia you don't remember it even after you wake up you have no recollection it ever happened. That's what i imagine death would be like if there is no end.

I've actually been having alot of dreams lately where i am dying and i feel like i'm going to pass out and have to come to grips with my death and the idea there's nothing after. That feeling when the black tunnel starts closing in around your vision and your heart jumps and stomach sinks as you try as hard as you possibly can to hang on to that view of life but you can never hold on.

edit: btw i do believe in a life after death and the astral planes.

2. #82 DaveTheToker, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    Just read about near death experiences and astral planes, peoples experiences with psychedelics etc... theres nothing to be afraid of.... You wont be scared anymore after you do some research and will come to a conclusion that death is just an illusion. I have also had an OBE myself personally and I have been to astral plane in a dream, which felt very REAL, so thats why I am not scared. I was after those experiences like this: My mom for example asked me what she should make for dinner, in my head I was like: "why do u even bother yourself, it doesnt matter what u make.... we are already saved"...and yes I know this way of thinking is weird as fuck, but at that time I was so sure of that way of thinking. And when I saw old people asking for medicines to treat their pain, I was like why they dont just kill theirselves, (not wishing for anyones death, but I knew that it would be a way better solution for them rather than suffer with pain). And I also knew that they wont do it, because they DONT KNOW... what I had become to know..... And I was Very sure about thinking in that way.... but thinking like that has dissolved with time. But still I am not worried anymore. I just live my life and if it comes, it comes. We are already saved, we are immortal.

3. Personally, I believe in reincarnation. That's just me though. Save it, hardcore athiests because thats my opinion.

4. I'm not Atheist and I don't believe in reincarnation. When you are dead, you dead ! Bye, bye ! IMO

5. Came to general thread for casual reading while high.
    Stumbles into thread that warps my perception and fucks with mi strukcha

....Move thread to beliefs and spirituality plz

6. :laughing:

7. Eternal nothingness is a beautifully profound thought to meditate upon.

It is completely beyond me how something so mysterious can scare people. It's not like you're going to know that you're wiped from existence.

8. Fuck it YOLO

9. yeah dont be a debbie downer

10. I'm not playing a game, sweetheart...And I'm yet to see much of shit from you other than pissin' and moanin' about everybody's opinion.

Don't like my opinion? Prove me wrong, put up or shut up.:cool:

11. To each, his own. We could argue about it until we're blue in the face but whatever happens when we die, happens.

12. I know what you mean man once you catch a glimpse of what could be after you won't be so afraid maybe even excited. I have astral projected before and had many profound trips of the mind and spirit ;) i'm half excited half apprehensive due to my recent dreams of dying and there being nothing. That's my christian upbringing talking they scare the fuck out of you about what's after death. It's hurt my thinking and held me back for years.

13. there is also my personal counter theory, that eternity itself lies following your death. In other words, the age-span of this universe, which could be 10 trillion years, could end, and following that a recurring universe, and an infinite recurring universes. Mathematically, isn't it likely that within the span of eternity, your conscionceness reawakens or is birthed again under some circumstance? (one mathematical standpoint is that if atoms are finite [as infered by space between things], and time is infinite, atoms could be arranged in every possibile outcome. Perhaps rearranged as well

Just some stuff I used to think about. Frankly I doubt we will ever awaken again, at least not in such a literal sense

in the end, life is about living, not dwelling upon death

14. ^ That's not counting dark matter which accounts for ALOT of the universes mass.

15. #95 zeroshawdow, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    [quote name='"TitoMaas"']

To each, his own. We could argue about it until we're blue in the face but whatever happens when we die, happens.[/quote]

Or we could debate like two civilized persons.

16. Such a mind fuck trying to imagine something completely impossible to imagine - not imagining.

17. This. I've actually had the same type of paranoia about death you describe. Mine was likely due to an early death of a childhood friend of mine. It made me go from feeling invincible to feeling VERY vulnerable, and honestly scared. Death was on my mind 24/7, but I had to remember that it was likely not something that I would have to face for another 60-70 years. There have been days were I have gotten this weird feeling like I KNEW I was going to die that day. One day I swore I was going to get hit by a car because I was feeling so disoriented and thought I would get caught off guard while crossing the street. Well guess what? It never happened. Just enjoy life. :)

18. Weirdly i've been forced to come to grips with death and i'm 90% over it. I think it's due to all the dreams i'm having lately where i'm dying or if i fall asleep i die or i'm bleeding out and i experiene that short window where your vision collapses and you can't breath anymore and your life just slowly goes out like a candle done burning. I think my brain is forcing me to deal with this subject wether i like it or not.

19. Well said.

20. Ask yourself which one your more scared of.
    Death or being dead?

If its being dead then lighten up man. I'm pretty sure you didn't give a shit about your existence before you were born so you probably wont after your dead.

If its death then were all scared about that. I just hope I don't shit my pants when i'm dying which is actually pretty common. Look it up.