The Idea of God

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by EphiXia, Jul 19, 2011.

1. #1 EphiXia, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    So its like 2 a.m. and I'm trying to sleep but I can't. My mind is stuck on the idea of God. I want to start off by saying I have no idea as to where I stand with what I believe in. I just want people to think about what I'm thinking about and give me feedback.

So basically my brother is super religious. So bad to the point where he mumbles all the time(he is praying). During his phase of religion I have been caught 2 times smoking pot. He has been constantly relating everything to God and God's will. I completely understand that there is no evidence of God's existence whether he exist or doesn't. My brother is saying that God has helped him all these years to kick his habits of smoking and other things. I'm thinking now that the idea of God and your belief in it directly relates to how you act if your belief is so strong. And that is why you change as a person if you are "reborn". I think that is why Christians say God has changed their life when it was actually the need to believe in something other than yourself for your own Good. In other words to repair yourself or whatever. That I think is "evidence" that he exist because your life changed for the better. God is something we cannot fathom yet we were made in his image. Contradiction? How is it possible that we can not understand God yet most people who believe in him act like they know him on a personal level.

I think the Bible has great guidelines for life and its the closest thing to a manual for us. But that itself doesn't solidify the fact that God exist. The Bible would have to perfectly be translated throughout all the years and yet it remains "the truth". Its kinda like that game telephone where you say something and pass it a long and it ends up completely different than what it actually was.

Also, if God is real and created everything, then where did God come from? That would mean there is more Gods if the God of our universe created it. I think like there is a lot of other galaxies out there and there could be gods controlling different ones. But than that itself is completely contradictory to what Christianity is about, the one true God.

I hope my ideas came of as clear as possible and I typed this on my phone.

I know it was a wall of text... but I hope somebody reads it and replies with something worth reading.

Thanks for reading if you did, and I can now sleep.

2. Well God is one of the most open ended words used these days.
    Most people are just going by what they are told.
    In my opinion God is the word that has been chosen to describe a being that is working through other dimensions our minds cant comprehend.
    God works on a plain where time and space doesnt exist, but can work in our 4 dimensional world when the energies call God to do so.
    I believe God is pretty much a balancing energy force that keeps most things in an equilibrium, and the devil is complete chaos and unbalance.
    Its all about Yin and Yang and the balance of life which keeps chi flowing.
    God is pretty much works through chi, and when people say they have found God they usual have brought more balance in to their chaotic world and thus have found ways to cultivate chi.

3. Yea there's certainly no concrete conception of God, it means multiple things to various people. I personally like the Upanishads description: not this, not that.

4. Yes, all those things youre thinking people have said as argument to a Christian God.

A word of advice: If you want to find God in your heart....dont put God/All/It in a box....It permeates everything...even you. Just be attentive and you'll see thats true.

Also, tell your brother to lay off your ass. His path is not yours...and vice versa. Relationship has to happen personally....you cannot be 'talked into' believing what you have to experience yourself.

5. they dont lay off thought thats the problem.

the main reason athiests hate christians is because christians think it is their buisness to "save" people from hell

6. eh i dunno man personally i dont really bielve

7. It's foolishness on both sides..but that's man for ya.

8. I don't think god is a person nor do I think god is the creator of our universe. I think god is simply everything. God is the energy that is intertwined in all the matter in the universe. It is god that brings beautiful harmony in our world.

look at nature in its purest form. That is god.

9. #9 Lucidity420, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I second this. I think of it just as energy that drives our universe. Not so much as a big man in the sky who made everything

Like I feel that religions like Christianity and such are truly just an excuse for being afraid of death such. And some of those people are so unaccepting. I mean if your god was the creator of everything don't you think he'd be excepting of things like gays and such? It's as if its all been taken way too far.
    Although I think religions such Native American religions and Buddhism and such are pretty nice. They're more another just thanking the world for what you have and living a good life then anything.

10. i think of god in laymens terms as "the creator of everything" i also agree that this entity is part of everything.

and it's too much for us to fathom so i don't believe in religion but god as a entity that must exist because something can not come from nothing.

when we die we may just be one step closer to the answer.

Being birthed into your next life. | highDEAS
    ^^ thought this was a interesting thought.

11. #11 esseff, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
    I'd better quickly explain what I’m NOT talking about when I use this word before getting into it.

I’m not talking about any of the ideas expressed through organised religion. These are just a faint, simplistic reflection of what the original insights were about. God is not a Being, an alien, or an omnipotent bearded geezer sitting at the head of some heavenly organisation. God doesn’t cause disasters or let children die, or give you a new car or help you win the war. You are not being forced to follow some externally contrived pre-destined plan, where if you're good you get rewarded but if you're bad are made to suffer. There’s no almighty welcoming you to heaven or a satanic opposite waiting for you in hell. These have all become man-made constructs that are designed to manipulate, control, deceive, but ultimately just confuse people. If you get something out of today's religions, that’s down to you not the religion.

I’m asking you to let go of anything that is seen as an objective, separate something. In fact, to be honest, anything you can imagine at this point is only going to interfere, so for the purposes of considering this idea, assume you've never heard about this subject before.

We are different states of consciousness. Aside from the obvious ones that deal with the lower, physical side of our experience, there are others that are much closer to how things really are. The brain acts as a filter and removes what isn’t necessary for ‘normal’ day to day living.

There are other states of consciousness that are beyond the everyday mind. The first we usually call intuition. It isn't too far away and is always active, although unless you have a habit of opening to it or acting on what it tells you, it gets easily covered up by the ego and constant chattering mind.

Insight is a little more elusive; the results of which just seem to pop in from time to time. There are various techniques and practices that can enable a more likely connection with this level, but on the whole it isn’t something that’s available on demand.

Beyond these are states of consciousness where the even the concept of thought begins to lose relevancy. At this point we're beginning to go beyond what we call personality and ego. Here, there’s no past or future, no fears, wants or desires. It is a state of feeling and awareness on a purer level and is experienced in the same way by everyone.

There may no longer be personality, but there is still individuality, although the distinction between what is commonly understood by the idea of ‘you' and ‘me’ is not so obvious now. On this level there is simply consciousness, because on this level there is nothing but consciousness. It is from this conscious awareness that the sum of the individual parts (us) realises itself greater than the individual parts that comprise it. This is a connected consciousness that is a lot closer to how things are.

Some might call this state of awareness God, and it could be argued that we are all ultimately God; individually, entirely, completely, just as it could be argued that the idea of God is simply us. But this wouldn't be quite right. We are not all that is conscious. Even inanimate objects have consciousness on there own level. And this blue planet is not all there is. This is not the only planet or solar system, and definitely not the only galaxy. There is so much consciousness that it's simply not possible to get a handle on it – and that is still not God.

Whether anything that I’ve just written is the truth or not is not really that important. Unless you see it that way it can be nothing but another idea. But what if I could prove what I'd just said was true? And what if that proof finally convinced you to you believe it? And because you now believed it, you told someone else about it and they decided to believe it because there was no reason to doubt you, based upon your previously strong stance. They wrote about it so others could find out, and when they read it, they started to believe it too?

Doesn't it sound remarkably like the start of a religion? Isn't this how all religions must begin? Someone way-back-when ingests a helper plant, and through their right intention to know the truth they experience an insight into life in a way that either hasn't been understood before or just made things a lot clearer. Isn't that the point of religion then? To give other people an idea of something you already believe in order to inspire them to live a better, more joyful, more content way? Yet, hasn't man corrupted every one of these ideals over time? Won't man's nature make it impossible not to do so?

Even if what you've read here is the truth, it can only ever be my truth. Only I can say whether it feels real or not. Unless you feel what I do, you'd have to accept what I said, then hold some sort of faith that you would one day feel it as well, and for the skeptically-minded amongst us, doing this without any sort of evidence understandably makes no sense. We look to see that the sincerest exponents of religion reveal the strongest faith, so it's obvious to us that holding faith without proof just creates a state of deluding yourself, therefore religion and everything that goes with it cannot be right.

I always try to tell people, who are interested, that you have to do this yourself - no need for anything called religion, just have the right intention. Then, carry an expectation that you will realise this, in a way that makes sense and be completely real to you, that doesn't have to be accepted by anyone else, and then simply carry on, remembering this expectation as you go, and accept whatever happens as the Universe merely organising itself for that to happen. The more you accept this, the more you allow something to appear that will slowly reveal that evidence, in a way that makes complete sense to you, as you become willing to see it.

12. I dont know man, God stuff is deep. I've been struggling off and on with God, but to be honest it just leaves me clueless. I know i want to believe theres a god, but in my head I stop believing, It just seems like there should be something after you die, instead of just complete nothingness. Idk man, its all up to what you think is true.
    -Peace.

13. ha, yes, my entire family are Christians....and they would try to get me to go to church all the time....and it was no use arguing my points with them....they have a blanket answer for everything.

The only approach that worked was to let them know that I had found the same 'God' they had...but understood the Bible in metaphoric terms, rather than literal.

Also, that going to church bit was just not for me....I would rather appreciate/thank God on Sunday on my porch with my coffee and plants..lol.....this inspired me much more than a church singing prescibed hymns ever could.

14. I agree the testimony of someone's life changing is evidence for those willing to admit it's evidence. My life has one of it's own. With what you said about understanding God yet we were made in His image. There is some contention with that verse and what I believe is it's not talking about understanding Him, more so this; The Christian God is known as a trinitarian Entity. Having 3 parts to one Being (The Father, the Son, the Spirit). Humans have a trinity of their own (Soul, spirit, body).

I suggest you search my thread, "Who created God?" and watch the video in the OP. He explains why no one could have created God because He is eternal (no beginning and no end).

15. god iz ill city