The I Know Less Than Nothing About Plants Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Impact, Sep 29, 2010.

1. #81 Impact, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    And the silver lining...

Barney's Farm LSD Feminized
    Barney's Farm Red Dragon Feminized
    Soma Seeds NYC Diesel Feminized
    Paradise Nebula Feminized
    Nirvana Seeds Bubblelicious Feminized
    Nirvana Seeds White Widow Feminized

is in route. :hello:

2. Great choices! I'm excited to see their journey.

3. Yeah its a pretty shitty feeling..I am currently awaiting sex on two literal "bag seed" plants so i might be there.. i have a bunch of flowering girls to admire regardless tho so its not quite as bad...
    The best part is that you did gain knowledge, knowledge that will lead to healthier and all around awesome plants later on... Congrats on the seeds too, im too scared to order online but i have had my eyes set on a couple strains that i want soo bad!

4. First I would like to announce..........I figured out how to multi-quote. I'm giving myself +rep for that one! :D

I thought so too. It will just make that first smoke that much sweeter.

Yea, I hope so. I have to tell myself it was just an experience to learn the basics anyway. It just would have been nice to have a final product. :smoke:

5. Damn dude that sucks. Now u know a little more then nothing... So when ur new seeds come in they will be cared for and in turn will care for you. Good luck and keep us posted on the new ones.

6. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. GC is a great place.

This will be my last set of pics for this thread. RIP 1st grow. 4 of 4 males. :eek:

Attached Files:

7. I have a 15x20 unfinished portion of my basement to use. Most of that space is being used for storage. I can move/rearrange/throw away as much as I need.

In regards to stealth, smell is my only concern. The rest of my basement is finished and nobody ever goes in that section. I currently have a carbon filter that I bought for this particular grow. It was just too strong for my nerves.

My state, the grow laws are five plants and under is a misdameanor so I will never go over four. This is for my personal use. I have a 2x2 tent now. It would hold 2 plants comfortably so I'm thinking 5x5 would work perfect for my needs.

I'm considering getting some 2x4s, some drywall and building a dedicated room. I could vent it for my needs and upgrade from these crappy lights to a nice HPS system. Add a fan or two, some reflective material and boom; ready to grow.

I would then take the rest of boxes in storage down there and build it some camoflage out of junk. You would never know it was in there.

Then I'm going to wake up, ask my wife for the cash to build it, and she's going to shoot me down. :D

If I know their feminized, I will probably only grow two next time. I always thought this grow would only end with two plants anyway. Sure was a pretty picture I painted there earlier though. :p

8. Sorry to hear about this result; I'm doing basically the exact same thing as you...I'm very early on though and thinking I should have gone with feminized based on your experience! Here's to hoping for at least one good female that's cloneable....

9. Hope all goes well impact sorry to hear bout the males bad times...:(

10. #90 westeasterly, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
    Just a quick note on your last post regarding lighting... I think your grow was a huge success aside from the whole gender thing. Why scrap your lighting that worked so well? I am also using 6 6500K CFL's and the amount of light is just staggering.... Adding it all up I'm clearing just under 10K lumens for just 156W. They also produce WAY less heat, which adds up to savings on ventilation as well. Plus I feel like there's a benefit to having multiple light sources spread out vs. a single bulb with hood. Less heat and power also equals lower fire risks, and closer bulb distances (maximizing the light you have). And the bulbs are dirt cheap. Those are plenty of positives to make staying with CFL the way to go....not to mention your already successful grow!

11. Thanks for the reply westeasterly. I agree with almost every thing you have said. Especially the part about multiple light sources spread out, it just makes sense. However the one ultimate factor of lighting I never got to judge; yield. In the grow journals I have followed and read, the yield factor of HPS seems to greatly surpass CFLs in almost every grow.

Because of funds, I doubt I will have a HPS system before my first harvest. My wife is simply going to have see some results before giving me the green light on HPS. :rolleyes:

My one real concern is heat. With such a small tent, I feel like it could heat up in there real quick. After a few successful grows, I'm sure I will graduate to a more "complex" system but I was very surprised and pleased with the CFLs for my first grow.

12. Yeah, I hear you on the heat- the tent does a perfect job for me right now. My house is poorly insulated and runs as low as 62 or so in the dead of winter. I'm hoping that the CFL's will produce just enough heat in my tent to keep things toasty enough (I'm also using a 2'x2' tent....see, told you my setup was virtually identical >). Currently I have to leave the tent partly open to keep things just under 80 (with no forced ventilation- I'm still shopping). I'm going to try an LST grow though....just did my first tie down tonight! >) You started on your next grow yet or still waiting for your seeds?

13. No issues with smell? That would be my only concern with leaving the tent open for any length of time. My carbon filter is worth every penny. For ventilation, I had a fan outside of the tent on the floor that would blow cool basement air into the base of the tent. I had another computer fan at the top of the tent that would draw the air out into the filter. It seemed to have worked well.

LST is definitley on my list for the next grow. I no longer have the "scared factor" with my plants. I realize their hardy plants and as long as you keep a watchful eye most problems can be avoided.

Waiting on the seeds. Got my confirmation email from Attitude that they are in route. I know that can be up to three weeks so I still got some time to wait.

Do you have a grow journal? Send me a link so I can follow along. Cheers.

14. No problems with smell yet. I've heard the smells don't kick in until sometime mid 2nd month, and especially during flowering- but you'd know better than I would. I'm not to that point yet. I'm actually really sensitive to smells, but I have to actually go put my nose right up in a plant to get the sweet, sweet smell >).

Hopefully it won't be long- my UK seed order took almost exactly 7 days.

No journal for me; it can be done pretty anonymously, I'm sure, but I definitely can't get burned by a journal if I don't have one >). Make sure you post your new journal link here when you get up and running!

15. Smell is dependent on strain and trust me, I'm just as new to this as you are.

I understand on the journal. I'm just not going to worry about it. :D

I definitely will. The journal was part of the fun for me.

16. Your dead on about the cfl's impact. they produce a good amount of lumens for the watts but they also have a large surface area that radiates quite a lot of heat. The problem with cfls is their light intensity, a 600 watt is around 90,000 lumens and a 400 watt is 50,000 . I grew with idk about 12-14 23watt cfls first and then switched to a 400w MH. The difference was huge in growth, and the product was dank but not dense. Next grow I upgraded to a 600w digital ballast and hps bulb and that made ALL the difference...

17. Regarding ventillation, are you saying you only used something like this:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/586675-downshifts-cheapest-easiest-micro-scrubber-net-6-per-filter.html?

It looked promising at first, but reading further the OP said it no longer controlled the smell after just a few days.... What I'm looking at now is about $200 in ventilation which I really hate to spend- I was thinking of a 4" in-duct fan plus a temp-controlled switch for both temp and noise control. Might be overkill for a 2x2 tent though. Got the info from this thread.

18. I read that thread. I'm not sure I understand the subject well enough to know why his didn't work. Something about negative pressure? :confused:

Either way, this is what I have.

High Tech Garden Supply

I have a 4" computer fan in the roof of the tent pushing through duct work into that filter. It has a smell, but not a MJ smell. More of an industrial smell. I'm assuming thats the carbon at work. I had no issues and had it set-up for about six weeks before having to shut it down. I agree with you, all that seems like overkill.

19. I think this is the forumla we're looking for.

Effective treatment requires the exchange of air in the growing area in a period of 5 minutes. Compute your requirements by multiplying the width times the length times the height of your growing area to obtain the total cubic feet. Divide this number by 5 to determine the proper filter size needed.

For example, if your growing area is 8 feet long by 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall, it contains a total of 512 cubic feet. To treat this area in five minutes, you would need to use a fan with a CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating of approximately 102.

If we're 2x2x5 that looks like 20 total cubic feet. Does that sound right? Seems awful small. 2x2=4 4x5=20 ???? 20/5 = 4 We need a fan with a CFM rating of 4.

???? - :confused::confused::confused:

What do you think?