The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Movies' started by davida0829, Nov 26, 2012.

1. [quote name='"rhino31"']

You don't like the lotr trilogy?[/quote]

I have a hard time seperating the movie from the books. I'm a huge tolkien fan, I love the trilogy and I've read a bunch of his other books. If you take the movie for just the movie then he did a phenomenal job, but I can't. I don't like how much he changed the story and how he left out what I feel are very important parts.

2. See i was young when the movies came out so i didnt read the books until after i saw the movies which kind of gives us different perspectives

3. [quote name='"UFO L Ride"']

See i was young when the movies came out so i didnt read the books until after i saw the movies which kind of gives us different perspectives[/quote]

No I'm the same way. I didn't read the books until after I saw the movies.

I don't wanna hijacked this thread and make it about this but you really didn't see glaring differences between the books and the movies?

4. Oohh, I understand bro, I haven't read the books yet

5. Well yeah that characters entire dispositions on the situation were completely different in the book. They acted alot less realistically in the movies. Plus there are many small subtle differences which are hard to explain

6. [quote name='"UFO L Ride"']

Well yeah that characters entire dispositions on the situation were completely different in the book. They acted alot less realistically in the movies. Plus there are many small subtle differences which are hard to explain[/quote]

I had this discussion with another blade already, since I don't wanna retype it haha here it is

[quote name='"HBGBUB"']I don't wanna hijack the thread, I agree I don't want to either but why do you need to take on a project that requires so much. He didn't even have to get it all because let's face it that's impossible, but why do you gotta change it like that? Why play up the aragorn arewin love story? That wasn't important, tolkien didn't even mention it until the return of the king! He leaves out the most important people, The mother fucking dunedain. They brought narsil back to him. They went with him into the path of the dead. The ghosts never fought in front of minas tirith God damn like massive parts of the movie is changed. There's so much more I just don't wanna type anymore and i doubt you wanna hear it haha ok one more The elves never fought at helms deep And he left put the hurons!!!!! totally changed the whole god damn second book!!!!!!!!

I'm just ranting haha if you take the movies just for what they are he did a great job. But they don't follow the book at all.[/quote]

There are so much more I just don't have time to put it all down.

One more I just remembered I'm pissed how he just killed off sauraman, like wtf? He takes over the entire shire at the end of the return of the king, not gets stabbed by wormtounge on top of orthanc

7. Yeah the ending was pretty fuckin corny compared to the book. Drawl

8. Anybody see avatar? The one with the hot blue chick!? Lol jk about her being hot ;) but that's the trippiest fucking movie when your stoned

9. I havent read the books and I probably wont. I tried reading them back in 8th grade but it was too damn confusing for my adolescent mind to grasp. Reading the harry potter books kind of ruined the movies for me, so ill just stick with films for this series.

10. If this is gunna be a 3 part movie I have a feeling theres gunan bea whole part about when gandolf leaves to help with the necromancers in the south. That shits gunna be sick

11. Forgot about that

12. Do u remember in the two towers when Sam slips and falls down the cliff in front of the gates or mordor? Were those men that walk over? I didn't understand that part, who were they?

13. The rangers of Ithilien?

14. [quote name='"rhino31"']

Do u remember in the two towers when Sam slips and falls down the cliff in front of the gates or mordor? Were those men that walk over? I didn't understand that part, who were they?[/quote]

They were easterlings, men that live in the eastern part of middle earth that serve Sauran.

This also never happened in the actual book

15. But they were men correct? Why are they serving him? Don't they know that they are going to wipe out the world of man?

16. #56 HBGBUB, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    [quote name='"rhino31"']

But they were men correct? Why are they serving him? Don't they know that they are going to wipe out the world of man?[/quote]

This goes way back and would take a while to explain.

You have to kinda understand that the elves are imortal and men are not. Men being able to die originally was the gift of illuvitar, or the god who created middle earth.

Morgoth, who was the orginal guy who wanted to rule everything, spread lies throught the race of men and elves a like and really drove a wedge in between them.

I'm not gonna get into details but at one point, men tried to go to war against the valar. they are the lords of the elves that live across the sea in the west, because they believed it was the land the elves lived in that made them immortal and they wanted that. Well the elves and the valar didn't really like this so they stayed away and never trusted from men after that.

There were however a group of men who stayed loyal to the valar never went to war and these men are who aragorn were decended from.

I know that really makes no sense and there's so much more to it, I can't explain it very well.

17. I understand man, isn't the land across the sea supposed to be viewed as heaven in mans eyes?

18. [quote name='"rhino31"']

I understand man, isn't the land across the sea supposed to be viewed as heaven in mans eyes?[/quote]

Not man's heaven. Nobody know what happens to men after they die. It's the elves heaven, but not really heaven because elves don't die

19. [quote name='"rhino31"']

I understand man, isn't the land across the sea supposed to be viewed as heaven in mans eyes?[/quote]

It's a retirement home for elves pretty much.

20. [quote name='"phil3"']

It's a retirement home for elves pretty much.[/quote]

Much better explanation haha