The History of the Confederate Flag

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by IGOTJOINTS4YA, Sep 23, 2008.

1. After watching a music vid from my favorite band, I noticed british people in the crowd waving a confederate flag. I had always thought it was a flag ment for the confederate south, but after research I found out that it was orginally a flag that showed that there was british trade business being conducted in that area. All the flag ment was economic prosperity for the southerner because that is where they would sell there goods so they could make money. The cross on the flag is the cross of St Andrew, who stands for fishery and trade for the people waving the flag. Now I see the Confederate Flag in a whole new light, it stands for trade and prosperity, and is only tied to slavery because of the southern confederacy.

FLAG OF ST ANDREW
    [​IMG]
    CONFEDERACY FLAG
    [​IMG]

Does it still seem like a staple of slavery to you or is that just me?

2. The distinctive colors and stars are enough to make me think "racist rednecks" when I see someone sporting one.

3. And thats the case with all sterotypes, amazing how a image, just a image can make so much hate and ignorance, of course people have and will abuse this flag. Thats something our great nation/world will never change. People are scared of what they dont understand or know.

4. Regardless of how the flag got its origins, it has a very different meaning today. And I can't help but feel that the people that fly the flag today know this and fly it for that purpose. It's exactly the same thing as the swastika.

5. maby, but it stands for unification of the Dixy states, and for economic prosperity. Well if the Swastika is what brought Germans the idea of emancipation with communism, I would not feel bad to see people wearing the symbol but that couldnt be more different than the truth. Something I feel is not true with the confederate flag, most of the people that wear it on there clothing or fly it are not rascist, something swastika cannot be said for most people that wear the swastika.

6. Now I see the Swastika in a whole new light, it stands for sacred duty, prosperity, love, and liberation, and is only tied to Nazism because of the Nazis!

7. That's the problem nowadays. Most rednecks whom I do not consider true southerners wave it around in the form of racism.

True southerners know why they still fly the flag. It wasn't about slavery and never was. It was about States rights. The government was getting too large so the South seceded in opposition of this. Slavery wasn't even an issue until Lincoln realized that most were opposed to the War. There were riots in NY in protest of the War