the hidden powers of our brains. part 1

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Jun 13, 2003.

?

subconscious telepathy?

1. yes.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. ? an answer somewhere between an absolute yes and an absolute no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1. "nah"
    phew. u had me worried.

2. ^^^

but you're into something, why telepathy can't work...

well, not in a practical sense anyways. you just don't know where to tune in. with so many people, there got to be so much random noise (assuming that the reception end work of course) that searching for a "clear" channel is almost impossible.

and please don't say that some people are "naturrally" tuned into eachother, really :)

3. i wasnt going to say that... honest.... i wasnt...

ok i was going to say that. :rolleyes:
    ...thats just the mood i'm in now though.. :D

*Digit puts his logic head back on for a second*

i dont know if what you say can be true... as valid as your point is, based on all that we know of forms of comunication beyond the verbal (yeah, i'm talking technology stuff, radiowaves, particle beams etc) this would certainly seem true... if our brains could pick up TV signals we'd need some pretty sofisticated assistance in tuning into a channel. its hard to argue this point though as we cannot even say it exists, let alone to describe the nature of the function of it! who knows... maybe its just a power issue that stops us from being fully fledged telepaths. Maybe we already have the capabilities to tune our brains, our minds eye into what we wish to percieve but lack the signal booster.

*Digits Love head magically reappears on his head and he is unable to continue to discuss... for now.*

4. admit it zy... your not quite as skeptical about it as when you first wandered into this thread... are ya?

:)

5. i know i have said something to this effect already, but i think we just haven't advanced enough yet to be in tune to all the possiblities of our brains. there is so much electricity in the world, including in us, that it would make sense that we would be able to use the signals going around us to pick up information...and communicate with each other through them...just a thought. :D

6. Well, regardless of the mechanism, which can be speculated on forever with innumerable theoretical models, it still amounts theory and speculation with not much data to back it up.

Personally I have seen this in action and i experience a form of this quite often. For me it comes in the form of being able to gain technical knowledge from sources other than the known interfaces of the human physiological model. Ever since i was a kid my parents, teachers, everyone who would notice such things wondered how i could gain knowledge of subjects without being exposed to the subject matter. All my life people would ask me how i know "everything" and i'd try to explain how it works, that i can "see" things that are invisible like electricity flowing through circuits, mechanical things, and computer stuff. There's things i just "know", especially when i put my mind into a learning mode. Sometimes i even surpriese myself. I work in a technical field and lots of times it happens that someone will ask me a question that i know i have never have encountered, i know wasn't exposed to that particular piece of knowledge, yet i will know the correct answer and be able to explain it in extreme technical detail.

In college i would show up in the morning for roll call, then i would walk out of class, my instructors allowed it for me only, and would either drive off campus and into town 10 miles away, or go wander off and hide inside places like nonfunctioning aircraft fuselages and sleep all day. Yet, when test time came i nailed every test 100%, even the oral stuff, and was able to actually recite word for word parts of the lecture that i missed. Sometimes it even scares me and my instructors after several months accepted the fact that i was able to learn by osmosis. I used to pack a pillow instead of books so i can sleep comfortably.

Extrasensory ability does run in my family also. My aunt was born a traditional "witch". She is the "seventh daughter of the seventh son", her dad was the seventh born, and she was he seventh child of her dad. She was born with blood red eyes, which i supposed to be an omen or sign of such things. (the red eyes were caused by a physical condition of the blood vessels in the eyes)

This in itself is not extraordianry by itself, but she regularly demonstrates (usually inadvertently) some truly convincing things that if i had not seen, i would not believe. She sometimes reacts to stuff that has yet to happen. One day while in the yard just hanging out she screams, turns away from the street, ducks, and then with teary eyes said something to the effect of "i hope cousin alan is okay". Not more than 30 seconds later there was a loud explosion and a power transformer across the street expoldes into flame,s knocking a pole down, which cousin alan ran into when it fell across the road and wrecked his car into. She has been known to induce mass hallucinations and by suggestion alone she manifested a "spaceship" that was seen all over town and reported by media in the flight path she believed it took. (she was told that it was happening as an offhand joke "the aliens are here, they were spotted north of here heading this way in a craft") and after a few minutes she points at the horizon and says matter of factly "there they are" and the entire group of people there were in absolute shock that they were staring at a craft hovering over the north treeline and approaching slowly.

A lot of you won't believe this, and there's stuff that has happened that is even more incredible and unbelievable, which i won't mention because some of it is even difficult for me to comprehend as a witness. It's okay if you don't believe me because i know it sounds pretty freakin wacked out and pretty crazy.

Regardless of what the mechanism is that allows psychic ability, telepathy, and extrasensory acquistion of information, i am confident in the fact that it does exist.

7. erm, no.

but i'm trying to be as close minded as i can

:D

8. well, i've heard it said that we only use 15% of our brains full potential. so i figure that other 85% must have some special thing that we simply haven't learned to use yet.

is it telepathy? psychic powers? ESP? the ability to turn cheese into cabbages?

i sure as hell don't know...

9. i think i've said this before, but why not repeat it: we use 100% of our brain *all* the time.

some say that we only use 10 to 15% of our brain at a given time. well, that is only natural. most of our brain is used for maintance and routine stuff. like keeping our hart beating and lungs breathing. we only got a certain amount of brainpower to use with more abstract and creative purposes. maybe even the said 10 to 15%. what we use, actively, of our brain power got nothing to do with the actual ability that is inherent within our skull.

some are smart, some are not. the difference in applied "brainpower" is really small.

10. It's been proven in humans that those with smaller brains are actually smarter. It is theorized that this is due to the neural paths being shorter therefore making signals travel faster.

Peace

11. lmao. :D

as for the whole 100% of our brains thing... a few months after i first heard that, some other scientific body came out with a counter claim, saying that although large areas of the brain were "active" they could be lots more so. neither is true. 15-30% claims, or the 100% claim.
    but what we really want to measure is the differant aspects of our brains. neurologists have already defined MANY sections of the brain and their specific uses, closer inspection is needed into the different areas, the scale and extremes at which they get used, and discovering what all the unknown areas are upto.

"It's been proven in humans that those with smaller brains are actually smarter. "
    i think i've heard that before... and it makes sence... but only to an extent. there must be a drop of in "smartness" at both extremes, large and small. you can only get so small before you're loosing parts of the brain. you can only get so large before there's too much wasted space and nuero pathways become inefficient and too long....
    i did actually have a point i wanted to make before i started going of on one then... my point is (almost contrary to what i've been saying) ... how did they define "smarter".?

12. I beleive they measured brain size and comapred to such things as IQ tests. It may be more accurate to say that people with smaller brains are better at IQ tests, because how much of a measure is that really?

Einstein actually had a fairly smaller brain, smaller than average or so was claimed.

Anyways, that's assuming you count the size of a whole brain,and exclude the post-lobotomy size.

13. When I was a kid I played with boglins...

Attached Files:

14. MAAAAAAAAAAN! I HAVNT SEEN A BOGLIN IN AAAAGES!

Now theres a blast of nostalgia! woah.

i used to be a totally boglin fan too... but u probably knew that hcw.

em... what was this thread about again..?

oh yeah....

maybe one day there will be IQ tests that also include sections for super mental capabilities. (i know, i just made that erm up, but it sounds good right?)

15. i read about that too.. pretty trippy

16. hahah super mental :D

doesnt make the person with the abilities sound the smartest.

my "Super mental" friend just jumped off a cliff :D

17. totally made sense to me :D

18. made sense to me too...

alright well i think neurologists are so full of shit. if i ever became one i would end up killing myself because i would realize that the brain is FAR too complex to even begin to be explained, especially in forms of IQ and waves and electrical activity bullshit. i respect them for what they try to do, but the whole science is no science at all. i mean think about it: what is thinking, and why is it so different from anything? what makes it work? who knows? its beyond comprehension and im sure it always will be no matter if we use 15% or 200% of our brains. just because we dont use all of our brain doesnt mean that we will someday be able to explain or prove God or something.

19. Simple awnser just asak your brain???

I simple see humans as biological computers we basicly think and work in similer ways but "obviously" a biological version so i'm thinking the more advanced we get on computers or even eva manage to create a android to a level of DATA in star trek lol then we would have awnserd it by our own advancements in technolagy instead of sitting in a lab having cat scans medditaiting and all the other shit people do, actully heres a thought a computer CPU wouldnt know who made it and it wouldnt know its funtion but all it knows is it is given a task and it does it <- convert that 2 humans and you may have the awnser to our excistance so?

Humans
    ---------
    Reason: Unaware of its excistance but only knows it has to survive/breed/feed

illeffect: greed/war/suicide

Computers
    ------------
    Reason: Unaware to its excistance or its creation but all it knows is to do the tasks it is given to it.

illeffect: viruses/unable to upgrade independantly

i'm stoned :D so this probley another fucked up post.

20. yep.... your right..

absolutely right....

anothe fucked up post! :D

... nah, but seriously. that does get me thinkin. :)